London Belly Dance Festival Fantasia "Redesigned"

lizaj

I think all that jolly stuff prancing around in gardens like a fairy ( hand out the magic mushrooms)was a hang over from the hippie era linked in with earthy goddessy stuff...SHRUG...each to their own.

I think there has been a weather change ( well, cling film will never replace a good vest;) )and I for one was more than content with the Foundation course but then mine was run by Northeners;):)
We were surrounded by leafy glades but all dolled up in workaday practise wear, working hard ...no time for mushroom picking, I'm afraid.

Kharis

I think there has been a weather change ( well, cling film will never replace a good vest;)

Aha, but that's where you're wrong!! The theme for the party night was Woodland Çreatures, and one gal wore a vest and grass stained knickers and called herself 'shagged in the woods". Again, I have the photos. Where's that Sun website......

lizaj

Aha, but that's where you're wrong!! The theme for the party night was Woodland Çreatures, and one gal wore a vest and grass stained knickers and called herself 'shagged in the woods". Again, I have the photos. Where's that Sun website......
Aw no....stop it..:shok:

Suheir

I have that Channel 4 doc on video, they called it "Shake Sheik Shake" :rolleyes: It's not at all clear what the point of it is, if I wasn't into belly dance I think I'd have been a bit bemused. It's fun getting out the tape years later because I can spot so many more people I recognise now, mostly the ones who went on to become much better dancers than Madam Josephine. Jo's face when Lucy told her she was too fat is a perfect study in suppressed fury.
Look what I just found! The blonde is the lovely Margaret Krause. When I first saw this on TV I recognised my own teacher just by a fleeting shot of her bum :lol:

Sara

Ooooh, the blonde lady is really pretty, quite stunning on that clip. I hope I look pretty and young when I'm older. :think: I should do, all my family do :lol: My mum still gets chatted up by ma mates :rolleyes: Men! I'm 19 and she's 42.

Anyways, I dunt like the whole clique thing. I once went to a class and it was awful. There was a group of students who wouldn't talk to those that weren't as good dancers. I only went to one class cause I was scared to go back, lol. I dint know where to stand or what to say cause there was a big divide in the room. I do think that there is more unity in the North in terms of passing on information about other dancers more freely and more co-operation. Perhaps that is because we don't really have a clique thing yet though.... :think:

Nafiseh

Look what I just found! The blonde is the lovely Margaret Krause. When I first saw this on TV I recognised my own teacher just by a fleeting shot of her bum :lol:

I've never seen this does anyone have a copy I can get hold of pleeeeeeease?!

jenc

Well I've booked 2 classes at Fantasia this year. Not the Hafla, that was full. Will report back

Corylus

Hello all,

sorry to 'bump' this thread but I just came across it when looking for information about the 'JOY' festival as I had never heard of it.

firstly, could someone please explain to me what 'JOY' is and where/when it takes place because I was having trouble finding any information.

secondly, I have never been to fantasia or JWAAD summer school but I did see their show 'ELEMENTAL'. I was thinking about going to the summer school next year as I have friends who have been and they enjoyed it. I am very new to the scene, I have only been dancing just over a year. I have an open mind and I think it is important to make your own opinions on people after meeting them properly (I haven't met Jo Wise) but at the same time, hearing so many of you say you have had negative encounters or experiences with JWAAD has made me think.

What would your advice be to me as a newbie with regards to attending JWAAD summer school? It is so expensive and I would like to know whether any of you think it is worth the money.

karena

Jewel of Yorkshire. There's a thread somewhere about April's one (it's recent, someone posted in it maybe yesterday?)
Website is Jewel of Yorkshire - Home

Re JWAAD stuff I don't have any first hand experience to share.

Tezirah

Fantasia 09

Hi Corylus,

I've never been to Fantasia before but I have booked two workshops for this year's event. I thought they were very reasonably priced, but of course you never know how crowded they will be until you get there. I have also left lots of time for shopping in between, but I will be leaving my credit cards at home to avoid temptation as I'm going to Luxor in January and need to save my pennies for that.

Let me know if you decide to go and maybe we can say 'hi' in person. We don't get that many opportunities for workshops in the south east, so I tend to grab as many as I can.

su_raiya

Fantasia 2009 - join my class :)))))))))))

Hello everyone:)

I'd like to invite you to my workshops during Fansatia Festival:

1) Take to the stage
and own it! - Learn interesting travelling steps and combinations to help you make the most of your stage - and add dynamism to your performance.
http://www.jwaad.com/store/workshops-saturday/saturday-12-00-13-30/suraiya-sat-12-00.html

2) Saidi with Attitude!Learn a short modern saidi choreography. Be ready sweat and to feel fantastic!
Fantasia Suraiya - Sun 14:00 - Sunday 14:00-15:30 - Workshops-Sunday

Suraiya - international performer based in Poland. Multi award winner. Certified choreographer. Workshop teacher and regular dance instructor working with groups, as well as with individuals.
International Belly Dance Certification: "The grace and power of oriental egyptian dance" (International Dance Council CID-UNESCO)
Owner of Arabic Dance Academy and Artistic Agency "Suraiya".
Artistic director and founder of Egyptian Fever Festival and Sahara Dancers Group. Certified fitness and Pilates instructor. Master of International Relations and Diplomacy.

* UK 2009 - Winner of Isis Award Competition - professional category. International Bellydance Congress.
Jury: Leyla Jouvana (Germany), Khaled Mahmoud (Egypt), Eman Zaki (Egypt), Josephine Wise (UK), „Book A Belly Dance Agency” represantant (UK)

* Los Angeles 2009 - Highest prize in the international Compettion organized by Jillina!!!

* Prague 2008 - First prize in International Raks Sharqi Competition for Professional Dancers.
Jury: Lubna Emam (Egypt), Jillina (USA), Osama Emam (Egypt) + Czech dance expert.

To know more visit "Suraiya" Profesjonalna tancerka, instruktorka tañca orientalnego.

Love,
Suraiya