Miscarriage of Shaabi justice

Pirika Repun

Hi David.

I thought I make clear my point that you misunderstood it, but I change my mind. I have nothing to say to you anymore, because I don't think you will understand my point even if I explain clearly in plain English (although English is not my native language, so maybe it cause to misunderstand. )

Hi David.

I thought I make clear my point that you misunderstood it, but I change my mind. I have nothing to say to you anymore, because I don't think you will understand my point even if I explain clearly in plain English (although English is not my native language, so maybe it cause to misunderstand. )

And I appologize if I didn't make it clear enough that my respond to you was not intended in a hostile way. Please share what you were going to. I'm not as unreasonable as my communication on this may come across as being. So, again - please share.

masrawy

Read the fine prints ..

I have to share this.

This bird is priceless. I'm going to study with it!

Costume and cultural appropriateness commentary not necessary.

Disclaimer: Although it says on one of the clips that the bird is in Jallandhar, Punjab, India (where my family is from) we are not related.

YouTube - Bird loves Egyptian music 0001

YouTube - This Bird in Jalandhar Loves Egyptian Music

Hey David, I think you missed my post it was a while back I have been experimenting with goats. Unfortunately, I lost the male one .. let me rephrase that I had him over couscous. As he became aggressive do to addiction to the potion " Egyptian culture&Raqs Sharke essence"

Link http://www.bellydanceforums.net/off-topic/8842-dr-pepper-secret-recipe-i-got.html#post115689

I'll be more than happy to revive the experiment and start the next stage with human subjects .. but I will need volunteers male and a female.

PS: the fine prints is here ..

if you can't read it that's because it's too small!! :think:

Last edited:
Hey David, I think you missed my post it was a while back I have been experimenting with goats. Unfortunately, I lost the male one .. let me rephrase that I had him over couscous. As he being came aggressive do to addiction to the potion " Egyptian culture&Raqs Sharke essence"

Link http://www.bellydanceforums.net/off-topic/8842-dr-pepper-secret-recipe-i-got.html#post115689

I'll be more than happy to revive the experiment and start the next stage with human subjects .. but I will need volunteers male and a female.

PS: the fine prints is here ..

if you can read it that's because it's too small!! :think:

You are too funny :)

Tarik Sultan

Now I remember why I don't come here anymore!

Right. Because you know it all and couldnt possibly learn from others. if you really are the student you claim to be - you would be there. As a business owner you need to know who is out there, to stay updated, AND to know your competition - you would be there. ...or at least seriously consider it.

The 200 people that may be there will all be taking time off from their self-importance to come to the event to study with someone that will deliver more knowledge.

Maybe you will be lucky enough to have Dina drop by New York on a day that you are not working (out at the gym) on a day that you are not busy.

If your bills are so important - why dont you start prefacing that before you try to proclaim yourself to some kind of dignitary in the dance. Well, you are not - your teacher is. At least have shame enough to think of her reputation before you run off presenting yourself in such a victimized way.

Dear David:

What interesting rants. And you're harping on this how many months later? Wonder who or what instigated this bullshit? :think: I think you've made it clear as crystal as to what kind of person you are. Is there room in this forum for the rest of us here and your ego? First of all, I neither slighted you, nor your teacher. I merely stated that I am looking at the subject from a certain perspective and sorry David, but what I saw in your video is very different from what I've seen and experienced. I didn't say it was bad, just different. Might I suggest that instead of going to Florida or any other workshop, you invest your money in a round trip ticket to Cairo so you can see for yourself what I'm talking about?

Till now, I have never had a reason to dislike you. I've always wished you well and wanted nothing but your success in your professional as well as your personal life. Yes David, we've had some very deep conversations, but I have no i'll will towards you, nor do I want to hurt you, so it would never dawn on me to divulge the nature of our private conversations in a public international forum. Sorry if asking for marketing advise was such a crime. This tells me even more about your character. You don't want my friendship? I think that's a good thing...... FOR ME. Thank god for little mercies. Better you show me your bitchy side now than in a business situation where you could really go to town.

I've heard people, (many people), tell me that you can be quite a....... mean spirited and nasty person. You know what? I never payed attention to what they had to say. That was not my experience with you, but now I see maybe there was truth to the claims. Oh and David, one bit of advise. Be careful about which websites you post pictures of yourself on. Especially the.... shall we say... ones of compromising intimate natures. I got to know far much about you than I needed to know by someone you crossed who couldn't wait to show anyone and everyone. Seriously dude, keep your clothes on..... was a good thing I had already eaten.... seriously

Yeah, I could go on at quite a length. But I believe the thread is about Shabbi music and dance. I've spent 4 more paragraphs on you than you are worth. I could go through all your bullshit trying to make you see there was no malice meant, but that wouldn't matter. You obviously have some pet issues going on and you have chosen me as a convenient scapegoat. So rather than wasting my life energy on you, I'll let this speak for me. It really gets right to the BOTTOM of who YOU are and what you're about. Pun intended.

Seee ya! Wouldn't want to be ya.:lol::dance:

Dear David:

What interesting rants. And you're harping on this how many months later?

Actually I found this thread by accident...just the other day.

Your points have been taken.

As for what pictures you are referring to - I have not the faintest idea of what you are talking about.

I appologize for having held the board hostage while this has all been going on.

Tarik Sultan

Actually I found this thread by accident...just the other day.

Your points have been taken.

Good. Go in peace. There's obviously more going on here than meets the eye. We have not spoken with each other in many years, so I don't know where you get the impression that I've been putting you down, to the point that you felt it necessary to drag my name through the mud on another forum.

These forums are for discussions and YOU have never really been a topic of discussion. Even in this thread, the topic was Shabbi. What I expressed was not a condemnation of you, your talent, your costuming etc, but an opinion based on a certain perspective and I made that quite clear.

As for what pictures you are referring to - I have not the faintest idea of what you are talking about.

Oh, but I think you do. However, Its not my intention to hurt you, only to make a point. Because of your personal actions and behavior towards others as exemplified by your response to me of all people, who has had 0 interactions with you for God knows how many years, there are enough people out there all too willing to dish whatever dirt they have on you. Personally I don't care what you do in your personal life. Just do me the favor of leaving my name out of your mouth. I've done nothing to you to deserve such treatment. If I were truly the monster you're making me out to be, I'd give a very explicit description of the picture and the nature of the website that would jar your memory. I don't care to. And if it hadn't been for the fact that you twisted the details of a personal conversation out of context, I would have taken the knowledge of what I saw to the grave. I've never even remembered it till now much less mentioned it. Who would I tell and for what reason? I've never had any reason to say anything disparaging to or about you.

I appologize for having held the board hostage while this has all been going on.

Apology accepted.

Keep my name out of your mouth. God knows I've never had a reason to mention yours for any reason good, bad, or indifferent in many, many years.

nightdancer

Time to move on. Please leave the personal details out of this. I am aware of how it started--I read the entire 20 pages--I am stating that it needs to be finished.

Moving back to the topic, why Shaabi? How do you even pronounce that?

It is pronnounced Sha'abi with the apostrophe holding the place of a closure in the throat (glottal stop) as in how the T in bottle can be pronnounced in some British dialects. I typically try to use that pronnounciation to avoid sounding like I am saying shabby with a long A.

I'd be happy to share whatever insight I have - as I am sure others will be happy to do as well - on "why" if you would care to clarify what you where intending to ask about with the "why".

Tarik Sultan

Time to move on. Please leave the personal details out of this. I am aware of how it started--I read the entire 20 pages--I am stating that it needs to be finished.

Said what I had to say on the topic eons ago.

nightdancer

Thank you for the pronouciation. I knew I'd been pronoucing it wrong in my head, but I didnt know how to correct it. I've been pronoucing it just as "shabby", like "thats a shabby-looking coat".

As for the "why", I guess I meant "Why do you (you being figurative and general) choose to study, to embody, to understand this genere of the dance? What appeals to you of it?"

LeylaLanty

It is pronnounced Sha'abi with the apostrophe holding the place of a closure in the throat (glottal stop) as in how the T in bottle can be pronnounced in some British dialects. I typically try to use that pronnounciation to avoid sounding like I am saying shabby with a long A.

I'd be happy to share whatever insight I have - as I am sure others will be happy to do as well - on "why" if you would care to clarify what you where intending to ask about with the "why".

Someone has taught you an incorrect pronunciation, David. -It is not a glottal stop, it is an Arabic consonant called -ein, -ayn (several ways to spell it in English). I usually represent it as a dash "-", so I would write "sha-abi". The consonant -ein is produced by partially closing the throat and pushing air through it. It sounds somewhat like the noise someone makes when straining to push a heavy object across a non-slippery surface. :) It's one of the most difficult sounds I had to learn to pronounce while studying Arabic.

In addition, the "a" sound in Arabic is like the "a" in "that" or "hat". For beginning Arabic students to get a propoer "a" sound, it helps to smile while practicing it.

LeylaLanty

Hi Leyla

I took Mohamed Shahin's Shaabi WS in May, and I wrote in this thread before. Here is my post (#141)

My understanding of his mean by "Shaabi is now, and no more baladi" is Shaabi is trendy and new style, but baladi is like old school. Baladi is still there, but not many people listening baladi music but more shaabi. Like in the US, Hip-Hop is very popular than blues. Yes, blues is still there, but not mainstream anymore.

Hi Pirika, thanks for clarifying this. What he said corresponds with what I've observed in Egypt myself. The NOW style is shaabi and balady is "old school" - still alive but not as fashionable as shaabi.

Someone has taught you an incorrect pronunciation, David. -It is not a glottal stop, it is an Arabic consonant called -ein, -ayn (several ways to spell it in English). I usually represent it as a dash "-", so I would write "sha-abi". The consonant -ein is produced by partially closing the throat and pushing air through it. It sounds somewhat like the noise someone makes when straining to push a heavy object across a non-slippery surface. :) It's one of the most difficult sounds I had to learn to pronounce while studying Arabic.

In addition, the "a" sound in Arabic is like the "a" in "that" or "hat". For beginning Arabic students to get a propoer "a" sound, it helps to smile while practicing it.

Leyla :)

You are correct about the pronounciation. My bad. I pronounce it the way you describe it - I dont know why I confused myself in my previous post. Thank you for clarifying :)

TiaSerena

Was this it?

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been posting, but I have been lurking about and catching up with all the posts I could manage to read before I went cross eyed. I have read this entire thread, and I just wanted to ask a question to help me understand if I am comprehending shaabi.

Last year, I traveled to Jordan. We took a boat trip over to Pharoah's Island, and the locals who were taking us cooked for us (it was delicious) and really made us feel like family. Even though we may not have understood everything they were saying and vice versa, we felt like family. On the way back, they began blasting the Arabic music and just letting loose. My friends and I immediately began the shoulder dancing action and they could tell we were familiar with the music. Some others on the the boat were not, but being on vacation they tried their best. Lol. They really got into it so that made me smile. Anyway, the locals came over to our group and grabbed us so we could dance with them. They were showing us how to do the movements, how to dance with them, clapping, smiling, laughing, and enjoying. They finally had everyone up and dancing. They even fitted us with make shift hip scarves with our towels or shawls. It was really so much fun. And informative. I learned how they interpret the music, it was a lot of hakim/saad and others that sounded like it. I learned how they interact in a party-like atmosphere. I learned that the guys will always try to out dance the girls. And I learned how they move their hands and arms to the music and to express something being said in the lyrics. I had so much fun.

Now, did I have a shaabi experience? Or am I just trying to make myself think I understand what the feeling of shaabi is? I don't know. It just felt like what a lot of you are describing and what I saw in a few video posted by Tarik.

Btw, I took an amazing workshop with Tarik earlier this year when he ventured to Miami, FL. It was called Shaabi to Sharki. I loved it. I swear I couldn't stop talking about it. When we danced to the shaabi movements, I could feel the same thing I felt dancing on that boat. Even the way Tarik taught it to us and told us how to understand it made me feel the same. Or, am I confusing this feeling of the dance with beledi? :confused: