My 2013 Challenge... Care to Join Me? :)

Jaada al Johara

Hi All-

So I have been looking to institute more structure in my home practice to make sure I am reaching my various goals and honing what I think should be my core skills as a dancer. (As opposed to practicing at random and treading water) I thought this might be of interest some of of the other die hard learners out there.

I went on a DVD shopping spree for Christmas (I <3 Cheeky Girls) covering a lot of different topics (turns, zills, turkish styling etc). To ensure I actually watch them, I plan to dedicate each month of 2013 to a particular area of dance that I am looking to develop further. For the first quarter of the year I plan to work with these themes (at least 3 times a week each month):

Jan - Zills and Drills (Killer Ziller + Drills Drills Drills)

Feb - Turns and Combinations (Turn It Up! with Summer Sahar + Captivating BD Choreo with Amar Gamal)

Mar - Arms and Floorwork (All About Arms and Flawless Floorwork with Ruby)

I thought I'd share this with the forum to see if anyone else is looking for a little moral support. We can post our progress on this thread. The above list is just what I want to work on. You may want to do 3 months of drum solo or 2 months of backbends (ouch!)... (I'm sure there will be some repeats and updates to my focus areas as the year goes on.) The hope is simply to create consistency to give birth to progress.

I gave myself 2 topics a month because I have untreated ADHD and need variety, but, with the wide array of dvds out there, I'm sure others can come up with even more inventive approaches!

We can post progress on this thread and any particularly useful tips observations. :)

(P.S. I hope I am posting in the correct section. Please feel free to move if not!)

Shanazel

I'm just gonna sit back and watch with awe, if you don't mind.

As a teacher, though, I do feel compelled to suggest that you rotate through the program by devoting a day a week to each now-monthly program to avoid physical/mental burn out. For example:Mondays with Sahar, Wednesdays with Ruby, Fridays with Killer. Two months of back bends... ouch, indeed!

This is a fine place to post. I, the Mod, have spoken. :D

Jaada al Johara

I'm just gonna sit back and watch with awe, if you don't mind.

As a teacher, though, I do feel compelled to suggest that you rotate through the program by devoting a day a week to each now-monthly program to avoid physical/mental burn out. For example:Mondays with Sahar, Wednesdays with Ruby, Fridays with Killer. Two months of back bends... ouch, indeed!

This is a fine place to post. I, the Mod, have spoken. :D

Thanks Shanazel. You're probably right about the mental burn out from too much concentration on one thing. I have a few other styles that I 'have to' practice for teaching / troupe work aside from this and hoped that would provide enough variety to keep me from losing my marbles.

Will keep you posted on how things go... and if some changes are desperately needed to keep me motivated!

Farasha Hanem

Well, as I've said in the New Year's resolutions thread for this year, I don't ever make resolutions, but that's not to say I don't have goals. I find it extremely difficult to set up any kind of routine because of my job. I constantly have to fight (not physically, or even with yelling, but hopefully you get my drift) for a semi-consistent schedule with my AMs, and I don't have even the time to do all the things I need to do at home, let alone a consistent practice routine. But here are my short-term goals (in no particular order):

1. Buying a bigger doumbek and learning to play
2. Buying a mizmar and learning to play
3. Buying a riqq and learning how to play
4. Become a better ziller
(Yeah, I have a lot of music goals, I love playing instruments :redface: )
5. Perform my first real solo
6. Learn how to improv better (WITHOUT Shakira music, and with REAL ME music!!! :mad: )
(I'm venting, again... >.>;;; )
7. Continue to review my basics and improve on them (ongoing thing)

I'll break it down as I go along.

If it's all right, I'll post my progress here as it happens. :) With my hateful work schedule, I need all the encouragement I can get. :confused:

Last edited:

teela

I plan to continue with my improv, work on zilling and work on my technique. I just want to continue improving my dance.

Munniko

I think I will do this with you and I will do DVDs on a weekly rotation or kind of just have a selection and have to chose one each session.

My goal is to at least practice three times a week not including classes...it it a little hectic working two jobs, but if I can just squeeze 30 minutes a day I will be fine. Also to spice it up a bit I'm gonna throw in yoga DVDs to help me stay loose.

Right now I'm going to aim for my arms using the Aziza DVD and I'll update as I go ^_^

Bast

Well, as I've said in the New Year's resolutions thread for this year, I don't ever make resolutions, but that's not to say I don't have goals. I find it extremely difficult to set up any kind of routine because of my job. I constantly have to fight (not physically, or even with yelling, but hopefully you get my drift) for a semi-consistent schedule with my AMs, and I don't have even the time to do all the things I need to do at home, let alone a consistent practice routine. But here are my short-term goals (in no particular order):

6. Learn how to improv better (WITHOUT Shakira music, and with REAL ME music!!! :mad: )

If it's all right, I'll post my progress here as it happens. :) With my hateful work schedule, I need all the encouragement I can get. :confused:

You're learning doumbek? I just got one for Christmas and although I love it, it is much harder than I expected. I especially have trouble with the Ka sound and finger rolls.

These clips are really helpful though:

Good luck with all of your goals this year, and yes, do post progress!
My doumbek goal is to get through all of free tutorials on youtube then hire a teacher. My dance goals are to work on sustaining and layering shimmies, sharpening technique and properly stretching out after any dancing.

Farasha Hanem

Thank you, Bast, and I wish you the same with your goals! :D

I bought a doumbek and an instructional CD from eBay, but my doumbek turned out to be a baby! :( One of my former teachers did make it sound amazing, though, but I still want a bigger one. Thank you for posting the YouTube clip, I'll make sure to add it to my playlist! ^^

Wishing everyone the best! :D

Jaada al Johara

Wow that's a lot of goals! Very admirable... I look forward to reading about your progress with them all :) Doumbek is on my wish list of things to learn but maybe I'll come to you for tips in the second half of 2013 :)

Munniko

Totally jealous of all your music oriented goals Farasha! You mean you doumbek is too small for even hobbit people?

Just a random almost one week since I posted my goals and I did pretty good because I've been a little under the weather so I only did two practices, but combined it into super 1.5 hour yoga/drills slowly working my way through three DVDs at the moment including the Aziza arms one.....random side note, but does Aziza always make that face when she performs?

Also just got back from a two hour Turbokick workshop and I feel the burn.

Last edited:

teela

I started this past Sunday and managed two full days before the blasted flu hit. I think I'm finally over it enough to start again tomorrow.

bomu samba

Ooh, this thread is a great idea!
Here are my dance practice goals for 2013:
  1. Music - I want to be able to identify different BD rhythms and become more familiar with ME music and instruments.
  2. Workshops - I am saving money so I can attend them more often!
  3. Zills - I currently play them atrociously and need to add zill drills to my regular practice. I have just finished crocheting zill mufflers using Shira's pattern so I can do this at home without my neighbours complaining.
  4. Baby steps to choreography - I'm going to create more of my own very short combinations rather than just using the ones from class!
  5. Performance - I'd like to perform at the next hafla, but after the last one I REALLY need to improve this performance face: :(

Best of luck to all of you with your dance goals for the year!

Darshiva

Goals for 2013:

1) Continue developing my new style
2) Get to more workshops
3) Get to a lot more privates
4) Create a reasonable home studio so I'm not having to kick hubby out of the lounge just so I can dance.

Munniko

Weather is getting really cold (like negative 20 frequently) so I bit the bullet and joined Datura online mentioned in the other thread and it was worth it when I don't want to brave the weather for classes.

Farasha Hanem

Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh!!! @__@ I'm so pathetically out-of-shape and out of practice since missing nearly two (or was it three?) months of classes! I was hoping pulling pallets of freight and working heavy stock would have been enough exercise to make up for it, but I'm thinking its the wrong kind of exercise. Tried easing back into practice/exercise at home with Taaj's Basic Moves DVD, and discovered I have kinks on TOP of kinks! @___@

Good news is, I've started going back to class again, and managed to not be totally horrible, so that's encouraging. :D

Jaada al Johara

@Munniko... That weather sounds horrific! I shall not complain about London anymore (ok at least not in this post). I haven't tried Datura yet, but might give it a shot if I get bored with my DVDs.

It's been a couple of weeks since I checked in and I have to confess that my challenge is not going as swimmingly as I hoped. I'm doing plenty of dancing between troupe rehearsals and teaching a couple of classes a week. However, my drills could use a tad more attention.

There has been some progress though! I've committed a few of the drills from Killer Ziller to memory and I broke down and bought some Saroyan Turkish Zills to practice. I was using a set from Egypt but they were too big for my little hands and kept tiring me out with the effort it to took to control them. They are also a lot quieter so I don't to muffle them during the day. I'm sure I'll need to upgrade to a more expensive set for performing.

The Saroyan's have changed my life. In just a few days of random drilling, I can already see more progress than the month I tried to use the other set of zills. I just keep them out in my living room so every time I see them I am reminded to pick them up and play a few patterns while walking around the house or doing some simple dance moves.

I'll probably end up extending my zills practice into February and potentially alternating it with one of the Amar Gamal or Turns DVDs in my growing collection. I'm working on a classical Egyptian piece for a show (which was one of my other goals!), so need to make sure I am in good form for that.

Farasha Hanem

I was practicing with my Arabesques the other night in the kitchen when my son walked in with a grin and said, "Mamma, I can hear you all the way in my room---with the door closed." :redface: Wish I could remember what I've done with my baby socks! :think:

atisheh

I'm glad this thread is here. I've been taking more frequent dance lessons and workshops in the past half year than ever before in my entire life (seriously), but I'm growing frustrated with the feeling that I'm not progressing. Maybe I'm on a plateau, maybe I'm not drilling enough on my own, maybe I am progressing and just can't tell from the inside. But I need to have some kind of plan for my courses and dancing and home practice and DVD work that will give me a sense of what I need to work on, and how I might measure my own progress.

I do tend to drill things that I had a hard time with in class, and I look in my DVD library (or for new programs) that will be useful for those things -- 3/4 shimmy, for example, or turns, that kind of thing. But each class brings new things, and then I have the feeling that I can never catch up! I'd love some tips -- and if none are forthcoming, I'm looking forward to just seeing what goals others set.

bomu samba

Goal 1 is going okay so far. I have transferred all the ME music I got over the holidays to my mp3 player so I can listen to it outside the house. And my teacher's been talking about rhythms in class: this week we danced to the Leff (Malfouf?) rhythm.

I'm going to be starting my Zills practice tomorrow. I hope my new zill mufflers work, for my neighbours' sakes :lol:!

I'm adding "Create a structured practice" to my list of goals. I have started back at class after about 6 weeks without classes / proper practice and I feel as though I've forgotten everything I've learnt :confused:.

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I plan on getting more into improv, cane dancing and more Turkish style after I take a break from performing. While I can do more improv, zills and cane while practicing for performing, I really do need a block of time to just hunker down and "take classes." Good resolutions for you all!