New to performing?

GypsyStacey

Okay if you are like me & are new to dance performing. Make a LIST everything you want to get done before he performance, makeup, check costume, jewlery etc....also make a LIST of EVERYTHING you need/want to bring with you ~sigh.~ I performed today forgot to do my lips when i did my makeup. Forgot to put on my jewlery ~sigh~ if i had lists to follow i would have remembered. There are lot of posts about what to bring when performing on this board, but believe me I wish i had these lists.

I've performed many times in theater plays, musicals etc, but all stuff was there for me costumes, makeup, props etc were there for me I didn't have to remember to bring anything but myself...lol.

Okay here is the thread where i pulled a lot of ideas from for my lists i also made mine specific to me.http://www.bellydanceforums.net/other-dance-stuff/10851-what-should-i-put-my-dance-bag-3.html

Last edited:

DancersDad

A very good point, GypsyStacey. A simple check-list is really easy to make, easily revised as needed, and while maybe not completely bulletproof, it sure makes it a lot easier to ensure that all is as it should be, when it should be. I'll have to remember to make one up for my daughter to carry in her dance bag. Thanks for the post!

dus'

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am very much a list person:D I still have my check list before performances, I have them for pre travel, shopping, next to my computer ( things to do and check out the next day) my list, list is probably - you name it and I will have or had such a list at sometime :lol:
~Mosaic

GypsyStacey

gees if i had a list for makeup i would have put lipstick on today...lol. we won't even get into the murphy law false eyelashes today :rolleyes: in trial they worked great & today i was gluing everything EXCEPT the false eyelash to the eyelid ~sigh.~ was WAY to rushed. didn't give myself enough time to do my makeup hmmm should time that so i didn't do my 'new' look, but that's okay.

good news is other than the show starting 30 mins late (not our fault were were the 3rd performers) we were a hit :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Congratulations:clap: Nice to know even if you ran out of time to put on your eyelashes, you were still a hit!:dance:
~Mosaic

GypsyStacey

Congratulations:clap: Nice to know even if you ran out of time to put on your eyelashes, you were still a hit!:dance:
~Mosaic

yup no lipstick, but had those bloody lases on. kept thinking one was going to fall off, but it stayed there. i love how they look, but man what a pain the behind they were yesterday.

DancersDad

Ah well, I'm sure the lashes enhanced your eyes in a lovely way. As for the lipstick, no loss in my opinion! I have always disliked that stuff. Looks fake and frankly, from a different perspective, tastes like something that came off of the north end of a southbound cat. I much prefer a nice, glowing lip gloss that enhances the natural beauty of the lips without covering them up. Of course, to each their own. Just saying that I'm sure the loss of the lipstick didn't detract from your performance one iota. :)

dus'

GypsyStacey

Ah well, I'm sure the lashes enhanced your eyes in a lovely way. As for the lipstick, no loss in my opinion! I have always disliked that stuff. Looks fake and frankly, from a different perspective, tastes like something that came off of the north end of a southbound cat. I much prefer a nice, glowing lip gloss that enhances the natural beauty of the lips without covering them up. Of course, to each their own. Just saying that I'm sure the loss of the lipstick didn't detract from your performance one iota. :)

dus'

for day to day wear i am totally in the same camp as you. but when i was taught to do makeup for theater we were told lips a MUST....lol....or they just blend away into the face. i don't do bright red just a shade darker than i usually wear just so that they are don't get blend in....lol. the lashes do enhance my eyes very much so & i was surprised that they did as i have very hooded eyes, very deep set, but i find they make them pop.

GypsyStacey

Okay here are my lists. Can anyone think of anything major i may have left out?

Night Before
~ decide on costume
~ look over costume. Anything need to be fixed everything clean & in good order?
~ get jewlery ready
~ get costume ready to take with me

Take to Performance
~ costume & all parts that I got ready night before
~ glitter
~ safety pins
~ jewelery or wear it there
~ extra music
~ water
~ extra hip scarf
~ veil if needed & an extra one
~ needle & thread
~ lipstick & lip gloss
~ foundation
~ blush
~ mascara
~ eyelashes & eyelash glue
~ hair spray
~ towel to wipe down
~ body spray
~ Tylenol
~ Advil
~ duck tape
~ fabric glue & crystals
~ q-tips
~ bobby pins
~ band aids
~ camera. is battery charged?
~ mints, gum, or mouth wash
~ foot wear to dance in

now i need to find a container to hold all this stuff in. right now i use a huge freezer zip loc bag for the small things & a huge carry all bag for the large stuff...lol

Last edited:

Yshka

Hey Gypsy Stacey, good idea for a thread, your list looks pretty sound! I seem to remember we did have a thread like this some time ago, but that was for dance bags I think. Ok here's my list.

-make up bag:
Do you just need lipgloss and lipstick or other make up as well? I think you do need them though, as a dancer to me looks unfinished without her lips done as well. For me I'd add foundation, powder, brushes, eyeshadows, mascara, liners, eyebrow kit, lipliner, pair of lashes & glue (dont always use them though), bronzer or blush for cheeks, body glitter (spray & oil), perfume, hairbrush, nailpolish and remover, nail file... hmm that is just the make up bag.

-necessary costumes
-necessary props (depending on the show, veils, zills, stick, snakes, camels... lol)
-footwear
-baby wipes (I rarely ever dance in shoes or any footwear so the little moist tissues I use for cleaning my feet after dancing)
-safety pins
-small box of sewing equipment
-water
-towel
-galabeya or cover up (very important, no wanderng around in costume IMO!)
-music and back ups, usually also mp3 with set playlists and necessary wires
-camera
-extra underwear (VERY important, you never know, I always carry a few different types in skin colour)
-promotional material
-jewelry (different styles earrings, necklaces, bracelets)
-extra skirt (I'm a bra-and-belt style girl)
-scarf (matching galabeya in case of baladi-saidi/emergency)
-bananas & chocolate (my life support :lol:)
-big shawl or regular scarf in any warm fabric (I get cold easily...)

Hmm did I forget anyhting?;)

Last edited:

GypsyStacey

yshka ~ i normally go in full makeup so i would just need stuff for touch ups ie powder/foundation, lipstick & lipgloss. i should probably add blush, mascara, eyelashes & eyelash glue to my list though.

Bast

Thanks to everyone for these lists. I have my first performance next week so this info will be very useful.

Greek Bonfire

dus'

In real life this would make sense. But when performing lipstick is an absolute must or the performer will look like she has no mouth.

Eshta

For me personally, I add "sustenance"!

I don't eat before an evening show, but I do take a protein shake sachet with me if I'm going to be there a while, stops me keeling over from hunger :lol:

Oh, and a small sweat towel if I need to rub myself down between costume changes! I love those little microfibre towels. Although last time I picked up the window cleaning cloth and didn't notice until I realised I was smelling of window cleaner :rolleyes:

Still blond underneath!

Miyu

Would not recommend lipgloss, it easily gets stuck when you swing your hair around and then youll have lipgloss smeared over your face. Better to go for strong colored, matte lipstick.
Good to remember that 50% of the makeup fades away on stage due to light and distance from the audience.
As one of my teachers said; "if you dont look like a dragqueen, youve done it wrong!" :)