Places to buy beaded fringe in Cairo?

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi guys,
My trip to Cairo and the NileGroup Festival is coming closer fast.
I've been asked by my troupe to try to buy some fringe for our costumes. Another troupe member went to Cairo and Luxor some weeks ago but couldn't find any. I know it's not "in" with fringe so maybe that's why it's hard to find?

Do any of you glorious girls and boys know of a place to buy it? I'm hoping there might be some at the festival Bazar but it might be more expensive there?
Does Mahmoud's in Khan el Khalili only sell costumes or does he have beads and stuff as well?

Thank's
Gisela

Last edited:

Maria_Aya

Hi !!!
Mahmoud al Ghafaar at Khan Halili sometimes have sometimes not.
Mohamed Gomma that he will be also at the Baazar of the nilegroup festival, have always.
Dont know the price as havent been interested to buy, but some of my students had in the past.
Gomma's site is:
welcome to www.oriental-dancer.com if you wanna ask for a big quanitity before, send him an e-mail

Maria Aya :)

gisela

Super Moderator
Ahhh Thank you so much Maria Aya!!! you are a darling! Going to check out the site now.

Caroline_afifi

Hi Gisela,

Mahmoud will be able to help you like Maria said.
Also if you keep walking along the Muski, you will enter the crowded part which is mostly Egyptians (not as many tourists).

You have to go quite far up and from mahmouds it is on your right hand side

keep a good look out for a very small shop with glass windows with lots of beads and sequins in the window.
They sell all sequins in every colour, beads and fringes etc. You can also bargain hard here.

Might be worth while knowing your numbers in Arabic to barter.

gisela

Super Moderator
Thank's a lot Caroline! I will bring the info with me.

*Now off to learn some numbers :D*

Samira bint Aya

Very interesting info Caroline! I will try to find it next week! :)

Gisela, you will certainly find fringes at the hotel bazaar, as well as at Mohamed Goma’s and Mahmud’s.

Usually a short fringe is 5 euros and a longer one 10. But depending on the quality of the beading you might find more expensive ones as well.