Polynesian Dance DVDS?

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend any Polynesian dance dvds (instructional) that are on the market? I already have "Introduction to Polynesian Dance with Tumata".

The only other one I can find is Sonia's "Bellynesian" dvd, but I am more interested in learning the original form, not the fusion form.

If anyone has any suggestion I would be very grateful :)

Leanne x

Kharis

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend any Polynesian dance dvds (instructional) that are on the market? I already have "Introduction to Polynesian Dance with Tumata".

The only other one I can find is Sonia's "Bellynesian" dvd, but I am more interested in learning the original form, not the fusion form.

If anyone has any suggestion I would be very grateful :)

Leanne x

I have nearly every Polynesian DVD on the planet and the Tumata one is the best.

dreamkitaro

Introduction to Polynesian Dance with Tumata

I also recommend this. I have a few polynesian dvds and this also is my favorite. Tomata teaches fast Otea and the slow, expressive Aparima. Tumata explains every move extremely well and Moena demonstrates every move thoroughly.

eden eyes

The Island Girl dvd series is pretty good, but only the newest ones, don't get the 80s version. it is designed mainly as a workout, but the instructor is a Hawaiian native and the dancing is pretty authentic. She focuses on Hula but she also has some Tahitian dvds as well. I haven't tried Tumata but from what I have heard she sounds excellent!

Island Girls

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I will try the island girl series, once I have gotten thru all of Tumata's dvd - I'm still not all the way thru it! If they're mainly workout dvds they may be useful for just practising the moves. Unfortunately I cannot find a class in which to learn the dances :-(

Thanks again!
xxxx

Kharis

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I will try the island girl series, once I have gotten thru all of Tumata's dvd - I'm still not all the way thru it! If they're mainly workout dvds they may be useful for just practising the moves. Unfortunately I cannot find a class in which to learn the dances :-(

Thanks again!
xxxx

I lead a polynesian development workshop on the first sunday of each month in Didsbury, Manchester. There are no long standing Polynesian teachers in the UK.

eden eyes

... and the connection with belly dance would be?

The connection is they are two beautiful, fun, and expressive dance forms. Very different in history and composition, but they are both dance forms. It can also be mixed together to be a kind of fusion, like flamenco/belly dance, etc.

zahra

... and the connection with belly dance would be?

Bobby (Ibrahim) Farrah

Bobby Farrah (1939-1998)
Robert Abraham Farrah was born in the USA of Lebanese parents. He learnt dance initially from his extended family and added to this a wide range of formal dance classes including ballet, jazz and tap. Over the years he deepened his knowledge of the dance both through working with Arabic dancers in the States and fieldwork (particularly in Lebanon). To this knowledge of traditional forms he added timing, polish and theatricality from his western studies to create a unique style.
In addition to dancing, choreographing, and researching Bobby was teacher and archivist. He published Arabesque from 1975-1997 – and poured much of himself, his research and opinions into Arabesque.

Arabesque (various); Habibi Vol. 17, No 1 (1998)

Bobby's suggestion to his students included encouraging them to
study a wide range of dance styles that they would become better
dancers and this would reflect in their Middle Eastern dance practice/
performance as well.............

Real Hula/Connection to belly dance

Hi Leanne,

The series Real Hula is great. I have the instructional dvd (Basic Hula) and
2 of the dance routines. Very well done

Thank you for the advice, I did look at thi series but wasn't sure, I will give it a try though if you recommend it :)

As for what this has to do with belly dance, I started this thread here as I know many bellydancers/belly dance enthusiasts cross train in other dance styles, such as polynesian, and thought it would be a good starting point.

When I was at Jewel of Yorkshire in April I took a polynesian dance workshop, it was great fun and it made me appreciate what a nice dance form it is when practised "unfused". Some of the hip movements appear to be related, like hip circles, but apart from that I really struggled! I think practising another dance form encourages you to be more critical about the way you dance in general and keeps you more open minded.

Kharis

When I was at Jewel of Yorkshire in April I took a polynesian dance workshop, it was great fun and it made me appreciate what a nice dance form it is when practised "unfused". Some of the hip movements appear to be related, like hip circles, but apart from that I really struggled! I think practising another dance form encourages you to be more critical about the way you dance in general and keeps you more open minded.

I was the teacher at that workshop, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I believe my choreography was performed by a group at Raqs Britannia, which I'm pleased about as it was geared up for fun and for being utilised.

The movements are very hard at first and highly energy taxing. Great way to lose weight and get up the fitness. I love it because it's very feminine and yet powerful....another link to bellydance.

That was your workshop? I found it really interesting, I liked the handouts that were provided, I personally like having something to read! :)

I would really like to attend your workshops in Manchester, I will try and get up there at some point!

shiradotnet

It can also be mixed together to be a kind of fusion, like flamenco/belly dance, etc.

I'm sorry, but I have a real problem with mixing Polynesian dance with belly dance. Why? Because the Polynesians themselves don't want us to! Why must we belly dancers appropriate something that is sacred in their culture? Why can't we keep the two forms separate and appreciate each for what it is, separately?

See this article: Naajidah writes about Ethics of Fusion for the Gilded Serpent

Kharis

I'm sorry, but I have a real problem with mixing Polynesian dance with belly dance. Why? Because the Polynesians themselves don't want us to! Why must we belly dancers appropriate something that is sacred in their culture? ]

I agree. The dance is wonderful just as it is. I have a thing about keeping it strictly in line with the original movements, though it's hard trying to separate some of the them if you've come from a belly dance background. There's a need to 'unlearn' some of the moves.