Presenting at Science fiction conventions

Marya

Dear Moon,
I am not a Sci-fi regular and do not know the reason that they want such a lecture. From my end,I will take any reasonable opportunity to educate the public about belly dance and this is one of them.
Belly dance seems to have long been a staple in Sci-fi and Fantasy, as can be witnessed by Tonia's appearance on Star Trek in the 60s and by my own experience of being hired to perform at Sci-fi events in the 70s.
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha,

Would perhaps the audience consist of would-be Sci-Fi/Fantasy writers? Perhaps they are hoping to learn more about Middle Eastern Dance so as to sound more authentic in their writing. I would at the very least refer them to your website articles.

Marya

Aisha Azar

Sci-Fi

Dear Teela,
In fact, I will be presenting here in the Northwest at SpoCon, August 1-3, on the Gonzaga University campus. (I will also be doing Rune/Rune Card readings there when I am not doing the lecture or judging the costume contest. I shall wear many hats that week-end!!
BTW, I LOVED Enzar, who was a Kling-on and spoke the language and used to do some kind crazy dance fusion in her Kling-on persona. She was a total riot!!

Dear Marya,
I am not sure who my audience will be, but I do know that there are some writers who are also presenting, and some gamers and other interesting folks. That is one thing that is making it difficult to figure out how to present, since I am not sure what audience I am targeting....

Dear Brea,
Thank you for the encouragement. I think I can present in such a way as to make a "reverse history" line that will leave no one out of the mix while still getting the facts to stand out.

Regards to all,
A'isha

teela

Sounds like you will have fun at that Con. Betty Bigalow did Klingon many years ago and she was one of the Klingon belly dancers I saw perform. I think she also taught one or two of the introductory belly dance classes I saw offered. As someone mentioned earlier, your class may attract writers so they know more about the subject. I do hope you enjoy yourself.

da Sage

Lol, sorry but I still don't understand what reason a scifi/fantasy convention has to ask a bellydancer to give a lecture?
Did they ask you what they could expect or anything?

The last thing I would expect at such a convention is a serious informative lecture about the history of bellydance.
Not saying non of the visitors would find it interesting, but I don't understand why they asked you and what bellydance has to with scifi/fantasy.

Con-goers have many interests besides just science fiction, fantasy, film, games, and comic books.

At a local sci-fi/fantasy convention, we had bellydance classes under the "physical activity and health" track, which also featured aerobics, meal planning, and diabetes education. We also have had lectures from a physic professor, reptile and bird biologists, UFOlogists, and a scientist from NASA.

Basically, enough people are interested in the "tough topics", that the con keeps offering them. If 30-75 show up for the lecture, what does it matter that 400-1000 others decided to socialize, shop, play "Munchkin", or debate Klingon war tactics instead?

Last edited:

da Sage

Dear Gang,
This summer I am going to be a presenter at a Science Fiction convention, not as a dancer but as a lecturer on Belly dance in the historical sense. I have danced at a Sci-Fi event only once before, (long long ago in a place far away), but never presented a lecture. My intention at this point is to talk, briefly demonstrate and discuss root folkloric dances as forerunners of the styles in different regions. Since I have only 50 minutes including a question and answer segment, I am considering putting some people in the proper costuming and demonstrating the dance myself wearing something rather plain such as gelebiyeh and hip scarf. I simply to do not have the time to change and talk. Anyone who is a Sci Fi event regular, do you think this will be an acceptable way to present, and if not, do you have any suggestions? The sponsors of the event have pretty much left it up to me to do what I want. I prefer live humans to slides or photos, but I could be wrong with this....
Regards,
A'isha

I think you should try to tie in orientalism and the sexual nature of the dance, to its appeal as an element in fantasy and sci-fi (possibly introduced through mid-century "space opera" novels, movies, and comic books). I think the costume is more of a link, as a girl in a sexy bedlehesque costume depicted on the cover helped to sell many books.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Sci_Fi

I think you should try to tie in orientalism and the sexual nature of the dance, to its appeal as an element in fantasy and sci-fi (possibly introduced through mid-century "space opera" novels, movies, and comic books). I think the costume is more of a link, as a girl in a sexy bedlehesque costume depicted on the cover helped to sell many books.

Dear da Sage,
Good point!! The dancer as a marketing tool for fantasy and Sci-Fi!!! I will see how I can work that into the overall mix!
Regards,
A'isha

da Sage

Dear da Sage,
Good point!! The dancer as a marketing tool for fantasy and Sci-Fi!!! I will see how I can work that into the overall mix!
Regards,
A'isha

Sometimes the "dancer" was a real dancer, but usually I think she was just a hot chick in a hollywood-style two-piece costume. So I'm not aware of dancing being central to most stories' marketing...but hot chicks in hot outfits definitely were.;)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

What fun!!

I think explaining the folk roots of the dance would be WONDERFUL because too many newbies think belly dance was invented by Rachel Brice.

If there was any way to sneak in some actual Arab music, that would be great too.

Cons are great fun, but SO many times I want to go ethnic police on dancers for "teaching" a workshop on something they really don't know anything about. I've heard THE goofiest stuff come from some of these people.

The SCA crowd will want to hear about the history. The costumers will want to hear about the costuming. Most of the women will just want to DANCE.

Be sure to bring handouts with your contact info. Con-goers hang on to paperwork.

Have fun! it sounds like a blast! :)

Jane

One of my students is choreographing a "Narnia" style belly dance for a role playing fan fiction group. She asked me for music suggestions. I really have no idea what she's looking for. :think: It's a new one on me!

P.S. She's Lebanese and is fully aware of what the dance is and it's history. She's doing this Narnia dance for fun.

da Sage

One of my students is choreographing a "Narnia" style belly dance for a role playing fan fiction group. She asked me for music suggestions. I really have no idea what she's looking for. :think: It's a new one on me!

P.S. She's Lebanese and is fully aware of what the dance is and it's history. She's doing this Narnia dance for fun.

Considering that the "big strong/evil neighbor" to Narnia (Calormen) is an orientalist fantasy...Turkish might be the way to go. Seriously, check out the illustrations in the books...veeeery Turkish.

jenc

If you haven't read the books - they are Christian allegory. The Horse and His Boy is set in a Narnia that has been taken over by the Calormene's, which is a cruel race of idol worshippers based loosely on the middle east. Men wear turbans, men and women segregated that dsort of thing. I would guess that a cross between Me, Middle Ages and fantasy. There now haven't I made your job easier NOT

Jane

Good ideas guys! I'll suggest some Ottoman style music for her. The illustrations in the book do look Ottoman Turkish! ;)

Sorry for the thread hijack A'isha.