questions about classes!

Hi, I have questions about taking classes,, one is what is a reasonable price per hour class ( im on a budget :think: ) and also weird question :lol: , in a typical class do u usually break a sweat during practice? I always seem to practicing at home,,, I ask this becuz I have hair that becomes very very unruly and frizzy when i sweat lol but id just grin and bear it cuz I wanna study this dance......

leila_yu

Do u ask for a price of a private lesson or in a school?
In my school, I charge per month, so it is a price for 8 classes (1 hour each, twice a week) and it is 20 euro.Price for a private class (1.5 hours) is 30 euros.
Don't worry about sweating! If I have two, three or more hours of classes, I usually have to change my shirt at least twice, because it's completely wet!My hair is wet also, but it isn't such a problem, cause I don't have big hair (unfortunately)..:(

Gia al Qamar

Your profile doesn't say where you're from...but...suffice it to say that prices for classes vary WIDELY around the world, also depending on the teacher and other factors.
In the NY Metro area, you can get classes for $7 at some gyms where the teachers have learned a few 'belly dance moves' and teach it as a fitness class. The average cost for an authentic instructional class is around $15 per class. Better teachers who offer smaller sized classes charge from $25-30 (more personal attention from teachers who are more experienced).
So it's about the quality of teacher & the size of the class (do you want to attend a class with 50 other students and get NO feedback from your teacher?).
As for your perspiration...put your hair up in a lovely hair wrap or little turban and keep on dancing!
Gia

Last edited:

leila_yu

yes, that's right! u didn't mention where are you from!! i live in serbia, where general economic situation isn't so good.classes are usually more expensive in other parts of the world and it really depends on a teacher's quality...and u definitely should pay attention to what Gia said...wheather the teacher is paying attention to each student in the class or not..the number of students accepted should be limited by group...that's what i do in my school in order to keep better quality of work..15 people per group is maximum!
happy dancing!!! :dance:

Aisha Azar

Classes, etc

Dear Leila,
I live in an economically repressed area of the United States. I charge $35 a month or $10 for drop-in rates for my regular classes, per student.
For private classes, I charge $35 an hour.
I keep in mind that I could charge more, but I want people to be able to afford to take classes. At the same time, I want to be able to feel that I am making enough money so that I do not feel like I am cheating myself. There are those who give less for a lot more money, but I base my rates on what i feel good about.
Same when I go to teach workshops. I charge $25 pers person for 3 hours and I have a 12 person minimum and 30 person maximum. It seems like a fair rate and and allows the sponsor to charge, say $40-45 for the class and still make some money to pay expenses and hopefully some for her/his pocket. I think it is just riodiculous when sponsors have to go into debt, and this is why I price my workshops the way I do.
Regards,
A'isha

sstacy123

Both of the instructors I've had charge $10 (USD) per class. (5/$50, 6/$60)

I tend to start sweating when I practice at home or my job's exercise room where I like to practice but usually don't sweat too much in class...(it's been really cold when we first get there but after we start moving the layers do come off) though my instructor was mentioning how HER instructor runs them ragged, so who knows?

Aisha Azar

Class

Dear Sstacy,
While working up a sweat may be a sign of a good aerobics class, it is not necessarily the same for a good belly dance class. I think you have brought up a really good subject, here.
Is it necessary to sweat in order to have a good belly dance class? I would say that quite often the answer to that question would be a resounding NO!!In fact, unless the room was too hot, usually the best instruction that I have received has required little sweating at all. I am talking about teachers like Shareen El Safy, Kay Artle, Aziz, Mouna Said, Nadia Hamdi. The things that made these classes worth while was not having my ass kicked. It was having teachers like Shareen or Kay who explain movement in depth, or like Mouna who repeats the movement a million times, or like Aiziz who approaches movement with a very laid back attitude and lets it melt onto you.
Not one of these teachers have as their goal to make you work physically to the point where you sweat. Instead they all are trying to make the student understand movement as half the dance and feeling and essence as the other half.
The proof of a good teacher is how much you learn, not how sweaty you get!!
Regards,
A'isha

Gabi

Regarding the sweat. I have found that when I do movements that are totally new to my body I do sweat quickly but the more you get used to it the less you sweat (usually, and it takes awhile).

Wearing white or black shows sweat stains less and just tuck a little washcloth into your scarf or waist band.

As long as you have a good deodorant and fog free glasses it's nothing to be ashamed of :lol: oh, and if you use Yoga Matts for warm up bring a beach towel it's only sanitary for sweaters and non-sweaters both :dance:

Prices in my area are $15 for drop in's and less for a block of time

gwinity

The price of classes fluctuates a fair bit with my teacher, depending on how long the term is, but on average, I think it's around $10 a class, the full term payable up-front.

Regarding persiration, I think it depends on the day, the person, and how they're feeling! Example: Last week was stinking hot in the hall, despite the fans, and we were all dripping by the end of our drills. Wear something cool and comfortable (layers are good), tie your hair back if you can, and bring a bottle of water or cordial - you'll need it!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

best instruction that I have received has required little sweating at all. I am talking about teachers like Shareen El Safy, Kay Artle, Aziz, Mouna Said, Nadia Hamdi.

See, that's funny because Shareen el Safy was the first teacher to really make me sweat in a workshop! BUT, I think it was because that was really my first introduction to Egyptian dance and I wasn't used to her posture, how she teaches you to use the low abs, etc. and just standing in that posture required extra effort, which lead to extra heat which led to ... sweat.

Dahlena kept the class dripping once -- I'm not sure why, but I remember definately feeling that I'd worked the next day. But I think that room was extra warm, too.

Aisha Azar

Classes

Dear Aziyade,
When I have studied with Shareen, I do not recall any of her movements or phrases to be so energetic for me that I have sweated. This could be because I studied Egyptian dance for many years before I took any classes with her, and wqhile I see her posture as exaggerated, I use a less intense version of the same posture. ( In fact, Shareen and I once had a huge argument about it!! In spite of this, she is still the best instructor I have ever studied with and I will continue to take classes with her whenever the chance arises.) My last class with Shareen was about a year and a half ago and what I remember of it was that, once again, I learned about the meat and integrity of the dance as opposed to learning how to do movements that were overly strenuous enough to cause me to sweat.
I can see how someone might sweat when studying with Dahlena. I have taken a few classes with her. I have seen her hit people.
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hi A'isha -
I meant Dahlena from -- well, I thought Chicago, but maybe not. She gives workshops in Chicago every summer, so I just assumed she was from there.

I have had class with Delilah once and enjoyed it. Hers is a much more interpretive dance than I usually do now, but it was a great break, and I just adore her instructional videos.

Shareen's class wasn't, like "aerobic" but I definately felt a lot of muscle usage. 'Course I might just be a real puss when it comes to long workshops, too. :) LOL

but who hits people? Shareen?? I feel cheated, having never been hit. She doesn't like me :(

Aisha Azar

Classes

Dear Aziyade and Shanazel,
Aziyade, I accidently read your message the first time as "Delilah", and then realized it was Dahlena, so I edited my message so that it would at least correlate to your response!!
Shanazel, funny, Dahlena has been known to tell people that I don't like HER!! Actually I think she is a really good dancer... teaching wise not so much. I don't like teachers who abuse people either physically or psychologically and I have seen her do both.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Hasn't anyone ever whispered the words "assault and battery" to her? In Wyoming, those are pretty serious charges, but maybe in more enlightened parts of the country, folks just take physical abuse in stride.

Aisha Azar

Classes

Dear Shanazel,
I think people are so taken aback that they don't know what to do. I saw her hit several people in class years ago and when she went to hit me, I jst made myself tall and sort of leaned slightly over her and made my eyes big. She changed her mind. Over the years I took several classes with her when I was young and stupider than I am now. My last class with her was 12 years ago. She shook my arm over some disagreement about Mouna's shimmies. That was it for me.
Regards,
A'isha