Sari wear question

Ziazan

I looked for a while before posting this, so I do apologize if this has already been mentioned.

Is a sari dress an acceptable coverup for your belly dance costume?

I'm a pale, tall, narrow-hipped American. Unfortunately I have a flair for the ooh-purties, and I just cannot get over how incredibly beautiful, mysterious, and dramatic they are. It's not just the fabric (which is stunning), it's the overall cut, drape and flow of the entire piece, which is incredibly flattering and lovely.

I also have a hard time reconciling myself with caftans, khaleeji dresses and the like - I never find myself pleased with them. They have a frumpy kind of feel to them that I can never seem to get past.

So do you think I could get away with it? I usually dance at a local Indian restaurant that is owned by an Indian gentleman but almost exclusively visited by Americans, so I wouldn't like to commit any stage gaffes.

lizaj

Sari sare not typical for bellydancers and don't enhance dance but you could make one into a caftan cover-up with an open front and decorate it with braid. That might make it less bulky. Or how about a Ghawazee style coat from sari-material?You could make a circular skirt from sari material to wear with a bedlah. A sari that was soft and flowing rather than the heavier sort of course. That might go down well with the restaurant owners. You could also make a Turkish vest out of Sari Material though that gives a more tribal or folkloric look. I have seen dancers dressed like this and it's a good look iMO.

Last edited:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I don't see why not. Just make sure you wrap it correctly as you may get some indian women upset with you if you don't. LOL I've been told by people who have had women walk up to them to fix their veil they think was being used as a sari.

Now there are some really nice Caftans around. The one I use was bought from....ok can't think of the website right now but you have to regisister in order to see all their products.

Greek Bonfire

I agree with the above posts. And yes, they are sooooo beautiful! I would use these suggestions as a great reason to wear one!

Shanazel

A sari over a bedlah seems a bit incongruous to me, sort of like a kimono over a dirndle, but what the heck. Go for it if it makes you happy.

Reen.Blom

LOl Shanazel, I meanwhat is 'right' over bedla it being an offspring of harem fantasy movies? I dont wanna know! Sometimes its best not to dig for the 'roots'.

I would say Ziazan, try it on see what it looks like! Just make sure you dont jump outta it in other folks sight, cos they will think you are stripping.... LOL

Ziazan

A sari over a bedlah seems a bit incongruous to me, sort of like a kimono over a dirndle, but what the heck. Go for it if it makes you happy.

Yes, I did figure it might be incongruous, but the crowd I usually dance for tends to be somewhat uneducated on the differences between the two (only the restaurant owner would know the difference, and I would of course ask him first). I just wanted a beautiful dress to wear over the top that doesn't look like a house robe to me, and I appreciate the opinions on this. Thank you!

Daimona

I just wanted a beautiful dress to wear over the top that doesn't look like a house robe to me, and I appreciate the opinions on this.

Why not make (or get someone you know) to make you a nice and glitzy slip-over-dress/robe instead to wear over your costume? You know, it doesn't have to look like a house robe..

Shanazel

I just wanted a beautiful dress to wear over the top that doesn't look like a house robe to me

As Amulya notes, saris are not the easiest things to drape and unless you wear a choli over your bra, part of your costume will show under the sari. There's also the problem of having to tuck the sari into the waistband of your costume and possibly getting it caught on the decorations and causing damage.

You could make a beautiful dress that fits over the costume, perhaps an elegant princess line full length gown. You'd need some kind of opening that would allow you to get in and out of it without messing up your hair and makeup. I have a khaleegi dress that Lydia sent me and have often thought about making a duplicate that opens up the front to use as a cover up. It looks nothing like a house robe. :D

LOl Shanazel, I meanwhat is 'right' over bedla it being an offspring of harem fantasy movies?

I appreciate your point, Reenie, but while bedlah for better or worse have been associated with belly dance since Ms. Masabni updated her nightclub dances, saris have not. I suppose maybe we could take a costume from another type of fantasy movie. Ziazan, what say you to a 1960s Star Trek uniform to wear over your bedlah? ;)

Last edited:

Ziazan

I don't know if this could be part of this topic, but saris are great as coverups for bathing suits!

That is a really good idea!! :D

I asked my Indian friend if it would be okay, and he said it would be perfectly fine to wear a sari (and actually really liked the idea)! I have a choli to cover the bra and don't even usually wear the bedlah under the sari given the fact that I fear for my beads. XD

Maybe I could have the sari stitched to make a slip-on gown instead of a full 4-man circus to put on? I can ask about that. I can definitely see the point that they aren't a quick don type. Ariadne, thanks for the link, but that's exactly the kind of thing I was trying to steer clear from. :/

Shanazel, I'm just that kind of person to wear something like a 1960's Star Trek uniform. :lol: That would almost be straight out of the Sixth Sense, no? :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Why not a fitted Ghawazee coat like the pic below, she has a pattern for it as well Sophie's Dancelog Making a Ghawazee Coat

If you google images of ghawazee you can see some really elaborate ones and I think they look great!

You could make the side slits shorter and the lower part of the coat wider so it wraps around to cover your costume a bit more, and it would be easy to slip on and off.
~Mosaic

Ariadne

I have a choli to cover the bra and don't even usually wear the bedlah under the sari given the fact that I fear for my beads. XD

...and completely misses the point of a coverup which is to have something to wear over your costume when you aren't dancing. If you are going to be taking off the bedlah you may as well just change. If you want something more fitted Mosaic has just given you the perfect example and Ghawazees can be done in Sari fabrics if you wish.