student that had Polio

Lydia

hi i just want to ask if anybody has experiance with this ? before yesterday a new student walk in in my walk in class and started with all the others then i knowticed something was wrong after 2 ,3 minute s...i asked to just stay on the side for a minute ,and that i wanted to talk to her...i asked why she was limping ,than i also realized that her rightarm was kind of just hanging there...she said she had suffered from polio when she was a child and her rightside is only working for 20 percent...It was a bit scary for me because i was afraid she was gonna hurt herself in the class because it is lot of hard work and so an...But she said she is also going to aerobics,the club where i teach said yes she is,i ask het to bring a docter certificat to say its ok she is doing the classes ,but she said it is realy difficult to get because it is so long ago...she is a real sweet girl and i would love to keep her in class...she love,s the class and i dont want to let her down ,But i am worried that she can hurt herself because balance enz..do,s anybody has any idea what problems can arise from polio when exercising?Thanks Lydia

slinks

that's certainly one big step there !! Both my Aunty and Uncle had Polio in their youths and they came through it perfect .. I do know the damages that Polio can cause and it's a sad thing .. like meningitis, that can cause lots of disabilities too and all I got out of it was 90% tone deafness !! Off the subject .. lol

I would trial her for a few weeks and see how you feel at the end of that ...

But I certainly hope that some one else can come forth and answer this for you .. it is quite serious...

I actually had a friend of a friend ask if she could join in on bellydance with me and she was a stroke victim .. I almost had one myself !! I just said "sorry no, I don't feel safe", even though she had her docs approval to exersise ...

The bottom line is "if you feel comfortable with it"

Aisha Azar

Student, etc.

hi i just want to ask if anybody has experiance with this ? before yesterday a new student walk in in my walk in class and started with all the others then i knowticed something was wrong after 2 ,3 minute s...i asked to just stay on the side for a minute ,and that i wanted to talk to her...i asked why she was limping ,than i also realized that her rightarm was kind of just hanging there...she said she had suffered from polio when she was a child and her rightside is only working for 20 percent...It was a bit scary for me because i was afraid she was gonna hurt herself in the class because it is lot of hard work and so an...But she said she is also going to aerobics,the club where i teach said yes she is,i ask het to bring a docter certificat to say its ok she is doing the classes ,but she said it is realy difficult to get because it is so long ago...she is a real sweet girl and i would love to keep her in class...she love,s the class and i dont want to let her down ,But i am worried that she can hurt herself because balance enz..do,s anybody has any idea what problems can arise from polio when exercising?Thanks Lydia

Dear Lydia,
When students come to me with physical issues, I always ask them to get a permission slip from their doctor so that I can feel we are both safe in them taking classes. You might draw up a general document for them to take to their doctor. You might be legally liable if the student hurts herself dancing.
Regards,
A'isha

miriam

My mother had polio when she was a baby and it affected her left leg and it's several inches shorter than the other. She started to take belly dance a few months ago and she just wears her shoes so she has stability with the lift on the shorter leg and when there's a movement that she cannot do because it would pose a balance issue for her, she just doesn't do it and modifies it instead to something she can do, or she just does something else.

Mariyam

As the others say, if she can get approval from her doctor, it would be best (to protect yourself), but I don't see why she wouldn't be able to participate in your class. Of course, certain moves might be a bit difficult for her, but then it's up to her to adapt them, or just stop to take a break and watch the others. I have no handicap or disabilities, but sometimes my left hip is playing tricks on me and I cannot execute all moves (especially 8's). My teacher is aware of that and whenever I feel pain or movement limitation, I just do the move as best as I can and try to remain as graceful as possible ;) Or I take a short break and do some stretching exercices in the mean time.

I have no doubt that she can learn to dance despite her handicap: she might never achieve performance level, but oh! the joy, the freedom and the confidence she will get in return from dancing - priceless! :pray: