Style Basics

Shanazel

My students do "mini-solos" from the first night. Can't start getting over self-consciousness and stage fright too soon. I don't force anyone, but we gather in a circle and I encourage students to enter the center of the circle one by one and do a couple repetitions of the steps they have learned. Never once, in all the years of teaching, have I had a student who failed to enter the circle and do her little piece by the end of the semester.

Don't turn it into a bigger deal than it is. Keep it simple, use the movements you are most comfortable with, smile at the people around you, and have fun.

da Sage

I have been in class for about 4 months, and my instructor wants everyone to develop a solo. :shok:
I know it doesn't matter yet, but I don't know what style I should lean towards.
My question is, when performing a solo, is it almost always going to be Egyptian style? I have heard Tribal style is almost always performed in a group.
Also, how do I know what music to use for a solo?

You could always ask your teacher to recommend a song. That's what I'd do, unless you happen to already have one in mind.

Kristen

I know :rolleyes:
I asked her if we were doing Raq Sharqi and she didn't have an answer. She literally stood stunned for a minute, then said " I have no idea".
I'm not going to ask her about style anymore. I'm guessing the style she uses is something that's been in the states awhile to the point some people don't even know what it is-American Oriental maybe?

This would be a problem for me. It seems like you have more passion, curiosity and willingness to learn about the dance, then your instructor. Personally, I would look into someone with a little more knowledge and experience, that way you're more likely to learn more precise techniques.

da Sage

I know :rolleyes:
I asked her if we were doing Raq Sharqi and she didn't have an answer. She literally stood stunned for a minute, then said " I have no idea".
I'm not going to ask her about style anymore. I'm guessing the style she uses is something that's been in the states awhile to the point some people don't even know what it is-American Oriental maybe?

She's obviously teaching whatever style of bellydance that her teacher taught her, and has probably never given it another name (besides Middle Eastern dance).

To me, two questions are important:
1)Do I like the teacher's style?
2)Does she teach that style in a way that I can learn, that feels right to my body, and conduct classes appropriately?

I personally have preferred a teacher who simply taught "belly dance" (and taught it very well), over a teacher who could recite chapter and verse on styles in a very authoritative way but couldn't (or wouldn't) teach her signature move ("oh, if you're loose enough, it just *does* that").:think:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

You know, there is something to be said for the "generic" bellydance taught in the US. It's pretty much what I saw the college kids from Lebanon doing as social dance -- minus the snake arms and floor work :)

I do think there's a kind of CASUAL social dance of the Mediterranean area. Several countries lay claim to the song "Ah Ya Zein" and "Ya Mustafa." When we had Athena-Njat in for a Greek Tsiftetelli workshop I was surprised at how much it looked like the kind of shaabi/baladi social dance you sometimes see at parties and weddings.

Fahtiem used to call her style "Pan-Arabic" -- which I first thought was a cop-out, but now I'm wondering if it's not the most accurate description she could find.

For a while I was calling the generic bellydance American Shaabi, but I couldn't get the name to catch on. :)

shiradotnet

I know it doesn't matter yet, but I don't know what style I should lean towards.
My question is, when performing a solo, is it almost always going to be Egyptian style? I have heard Tribal style is almost always performed in a group.
Also, how do I know what music to use for a solo?

I would suggest doing your solo in whatever style your teacher has been teaching you. Since you've only been taking classes for 4 months, I would hope she has concentrated on just one style so far.

I recommend the three Gems of the Middle East CD's to my students. Those are beginner-friendly, and introduce you to lots of songs that are often used for belly dancing. These are sold at Mary Ellen Donald Home Page .

gypsy

One of my fellow students told me that we are in fact dancing "folkloric" style belly dance. I'm looking for more information about that, and see it is often referred to as "Egyptian folkloric". Is anyone else doing what they would call folkloric style?

Kashmir

One of my fellow students told me that we are in fact dancing "folkloric" style belly dance. I'm looking for more information about that, and see it is often referred to as "Egyptian folkloric". Is anyone else doing what they would call folkloric style?
About half my classes are folkloric. We do sa`iidi - from upper Egypt, a couple of Nubian styles, a bit of Egyptan Bedouin, haggalla from the north, milaya lef - which is a made up folk style. We also do khaleegi from the Gulf.

lizaj

It goes to show we don't question our teachers enough. The classes I first attended were entitled Egyptian Belly Dance/Raqs Sharki and I was given examples such as Fifi Abdou,Soheir aki,Aza Sharif etc to watch on video..no Youtube then. I would be very suspicious of any teacher who can't name her style, can't talk a little about background. One thing you can discover in conversation is from whom and where she learnt and then you either stay or beat a hasty retreat.

pterydon

I'm totally new to this forum, so hope I don't step on any toes. :)

I have taken several classes from teachers who didn't discuss their style. I have never had one say they didn't know that theirs was... Anyway, you can learn a lot of basics in a class like that. Most of the moves translate easily between styles. There may be some variations, and there is the chance you will learn a move wrong. In my somewhat checkered dance past I managed to learn several moves the exact opposite of some teachers. That's pretty frustrating, lol. "I know that! Oh, wait, I know it wrong."

Having said that, one of the things I truly value about my current teacher is she is an expert in the dance, music, and culture. When she puts a song on, she talks about the rhythm, it's name, and even how it got that name.

I would say 4 months is not too early to perform, nor is it too early to find your own style. You won't be an expert, but for me (and your mileage may vary) there's no point in simply practicing, or practicing someone else's dance, forever. At some point, I have to DANCE.

Watch lots of dancing, whether it's local showcases, famous performers, or Youtube videos. Check out as many types and styles as you can and make a note of what you like, and what you hate. It's often easier for me to see what I DON'T want to do, lol. When I see something in a video that makes me literally say "Oh!" I know that's something I want to add to my repertoire.

Good luck and welcome to the dance.

Trina

nouraki

if your teacher doesnt know what she teaches that is really a biiiig problem.Maybe she knows.... but how she refused to talk about it?("wont state it-"I have no idea")
I would like to express my opinion and talk about it.If someone is really passionate with "belly dance-egyptian-folkoric"-you can call it in any way you want-must be curious to learn.First of all, someone should learn about the history of dance,be aware of dancers and musicians.I think the most important thing for being "a good student-a true dancer" is the passion,love and curiosity about everything you want to learn,at this case about dancing.About being a "good teacher..", I dont think that the main idea on teacher's mind should be how his/her students will represent a style or how they 'll manage to take part in a performance.If a teacher doesnt know the basics (and I am not talking about the moves) and refused to pass on her/his knowledge to the students...maybe it would be better to think more about being a teacher .She /he could be acts only as a dancer.
Cause....it's really hard to be a good teacher.Dont you think ;)