Suggestions/advice for doing backbends. . .?

LadyFatima

I was just curious if anyone had any advice or tips for doing a good back bend while standing up:think:

I can do a back bend while kneeling on the floor with no problem at all (once I worked at it for a few weeks lol) but arching my back while standing up is toughie. . .

See, I have scoleosis (sp?) which is a curvature of the spine, or in my case, my lower spine and for me, bending my back while standing up is like trying to bend back a #2 pencil. . .:rolleyes: I tried doing it earlier and even though I came very close, I immediately stopped once I heard something pop. . .:shok:
Like, you know that sound bubble wrap makes when you pop 2 or 3 of the bubbles at the same time. . .?

Anyway, I REALLY want to perfect my back bends, but you know, WITHOUT the trip to the emergency room. . .?:confused:

I noticed that it's a little easier for me to do it if I put one foot slightly in front of the other, and then arch one of my legs as I slowly bend back (just to give you an idea)

Please and Thank you's:D

Daimona

Have you tried searching for backbends at this forum? There are some previous threads around about this topic. Use the search function to find them.

Yame

When you say trying to do a backbend is like trying to bend a no. 2 pencil, and that you heard a pop... I get the impression that your back is not very flexible and that you need an expert's supervision to do this.

Some people have naturally more flexible backs and so it's easier for them to sort of teach themselves. It's also important to know that a standing backbend like that doesn't just depend on back flexibility, but also on back/core strength, leg strength, and good balance.

Yoga could really help... because there are a lot of poses that help with all those components. Ballet also helps, by increasing your upper back flexibility (as well as giving you strength, balance, etc).

Taslin

There are several stretches specifically for backbends that you should be doing to strengthen muscles and flexibility, start these way before attempting a backbend. My favorite is laying on my stomach reach hands back to grab the parts of your leg above your ankle. You may have to grab your toes first if you are really not flexible.

Once you are more flexible stand with your back to a wall about a few feet away and walk your hands down the wall in a modified back bend. Bend knees use your butt muscles and tummy for support....youtube stretches for a backbend. There is no reason to even try one if you aren't using the right muscles.

Bast

I have a flexible back but more in my lower back than upper back. I was told it wasn't so good to do backbends only from the lowerback so I asked my massage therapist how to get extra movement out of my upper back.

He suggested a foam roller that you lay on as this slowly pushes the verterbrae away from each other. You can start at the top and move the roller down a little bit more each time to work all the way down your back.

He also suggested to use a rolled up towel in the same way, but that a towel isn't as effective as it has more give in it.

I've been doing the towel thing and it has helped me get much better range of movement with my back.

Just make sure to check with a professional before attempting any such exercises.

goddessyasaman

Everyones back is different, I could not always do standing or floor back bends, now I do turkish back bends and standing bends, but I do Yoga and that helps, here is a photo of me doing a type of standing back bend

Back bend Goth

you should be careful when doing back bends I would practice a little bit at a time, take it very slow and don't push yourself.;)

Yame

I have a flexible back but more in my lower back than upper back. I was told it wasn't so good to do backbends only from the lowerback so I asked my massage therapist how to get extra movement out of my upper back.

He suggested a foam roller that you lay on as this slowly pushes the verterbrae away from each other. You can start at the top and move the roller down a little bit more each time to work all the way down your back.

He also suggested to use a rolled up towel in the same way, but that a towel isn't as effective as it has more give in it.

I've been doing the towel thing and it has helped me get much better range of movement with my back.

Just make sure to check with a professional before attempting any such exercises.

Do you have any pictures or video of this exercise so I can get a visual? I am also working on getting more range of motion from my upper back.

walladah

Well, LadyFatima, the advice

given to you so far is precious!

Let me just add some hints more:

1) Rule never to forget about backbends, whether doing backbends with knees on floor or just standing up: squeeze gluteal muscles!! always! the more you do this, the stronger they become and they will be able to support spine to deeper and deeper back bends without ever any strange sound from spine bones and any injury at all!!!

2) Standing up back bends: keeping one foot in front of other might make it seem easier, but i would recomment first practice backbends with legs somewhat open (please, not in front of people with legs open when performing!). This to make gluteal muscles stronger and keep your balance while doing backbend. Keeping one foot in front of the other might hurt the lower spine if you have no supportive strong gluteal muscles, so you never forget rule one (actually, i believe this is the only real rule in oriental dance, e.g. without option to bend it ever). The other problem with keeping foot in front is that your balance is more fragile, esp. at the beginning of practice, so if you miss a centimetre of keeping upper body in same line as feet, then your spine is in danger no matter how well you squeezed the gluteal muscles. So, opt for this type of back bend once you are sure you are strong enough to experiment.

3) Standing up back bends with parallel (almost closed) legs: well, this can be very impressive, but you need months of practicing, as this might hurt lower spine immediately, e.g. with one try only! So, better practice with open legs first and balanced upper body and then do the rest...

Usually it takes some years practice to do very deep backbends, so keep practice on everyday schedule but respect your body's pace of adapting to such a difficult move.

Jane

You don't have to do back bends. I don't think they are a vital movement.
There are movements you don't have to do, especially if they hurt or they don't flatter you.

Back bends are one of the few movements I have chosen not to do anymore. They bother my back these days, I'm not getting any younger, and my face has always turned beet red. Not attractive, so I said to hell with them.

When your body hurts there is something wrong. A physical therapist or a doctor are people who can *legally* tell you if back bends are okay for you. Nothing is worth damaging your body irretrievably. You only get one body per lifetime! When in doubt, it's safer to ask a health care provider. Find out the cause of your pain before attempting to push yourself.

*Kind reminder to the forum members that dispensing any medical advice without proper authority/licensing is illegal in the United States and many other countries. Not saying anyone is doing this, but just a general reminder.

Bast

Do you have any pictures or video of this exercise so I can get a visual? I am also working on getting more range of motion from my upper back.

I do the second exercise demonstrated in this clip.

Hope it helps :)

And I know I said it in my earlier post, but due to the post above, I feel I may need to say it again...please don't do this without supervision from a trained professional. I'm posting the video for information only, my therapist recommended this for me and my body and it may not suit you and yours.

Last edited:

Shara

the curve in your spine is the reason it is eaier with one foot forward. You really need to ok this with your doc since you have scoliosis. If he/she oks it, get Serpentine by Rachel Brice.... and proceed with caution.
If it hurts, don't do it.

Darshiva

I do the second exercise demonstrated in this clip.

Hope it helps :)

And I know I said it in my earlier post, but due to the post above, I feel I may need to say it again...please don't do this without supervision from a trained professional. I'm posting the video for information only, my therapist recommended this for me and my body and it may not suit you and yours.

Thankyou. You just saved me $60 on osteopathy!

Note - I don't have a foam roller. I DO however, have a nice roll-up foam yoga mat - the really thick cheap type. If you have a yoga mat that is about an inch thick, roll it up & it will do the trick QUITE nicely, thankyou!

Last edited:

shiradotnet

If you don't already have strong muscles and good flexibility, a deep backbend can injure you. Proceed with caution. This is true regardless of whether you have scoliosis or not. Start gradually, under the advice of someone who knows enough about exercise physiology to help you build the necessary muscles in a sensible way.

See this article on my web site for a bunch of backbend-related advice. Dear Shira: Please Help Me Learn to Do Backbends!

Although the article talks mostly about kneeling backbends, many of the same principles and conditioning exercises apply for standing backbends. For example, regardless of whether you want to kneel or stand while backbending, strengthening your abs and thighs/quads is very important.

You might want to consider working with a body worker who does Alexander technique.

Consider going for private coaching to a ballet teacher to learn how to do a cambré.

By the way, I have scoliosis too. So long as you build the strength and flexibility in the required muscles (thighs, abs, etc.) backbends should be doable.

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I seriously would take yoga first because yoga gradually takes you step by step into building a strong back as well as the rest of your body so that you can eventually do a full backbend. This is not accomplished in one session but practice over a period of time and with poses that get a little more challenging each time. Walladah has some great tips too.

I used to do backbends all the time when I was a kid but age does interfere with ability and flexibility so take that into consideration as well.

RayaDancer

i really think your best bet is to work with someone like a physical therapist, to work on strengthening your muscles. because you have scoliosis, you are probably going to have different needs and issues, different muscles are probably going to have to be used as opposed to someone who does not have irregular curvature in their spine. Also depending on where your curvature is, you might be instructed on strengthening secondary muscles in order to provide balance and stability in the backbend posture.