The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Amulya

Elastic will do, though it tends to lose its stretch after a while. Can hardly wait to see your UBD costume.

It will be VERY thought provoking, but when you get to see the setting it will make sense. I just hate it that every time I got a gig filmed it turns out so wonky and you can hardly see what's going on, so i'll have to pose with that cossie. Haven't bought the materials for it yet, I hope I can sew with the material, it's gonna be real difficult...

Amulya

I will no longer keep you guys wondering what fabric: it's going to be fake suede... the rest is all secret hehe (but it will involve coins and very unusual weird stuff)

Prusilusken

Oh, Dear! I'm doing it! I am sewing!
I am preparing my first DIY costume bra for covering and trimming!!! :shok:
Pinch me, I must be dreaming!!!

Prusilusken

LOL, Shanazel - one can hope, but I am afraid I don't have it in me to become a new Amulya! :lol: I wish, though! How awesome would that be, getting so many cossies done!

I've been wondering - where do you keep all those beautiful cossies, Amulya? :shok:
Do you by any chance own your own hangar or well insulated barn??? :lol:

Amulya

LOL, Shanazel - one can hope, but I am afraid I don't have it in me to become a new Amulya! :lol: I wish, though! How awesome would that be, getting so many cossies done!

I've been wondering - where do you keep all those beautiful cossies, Amulya? :shok:
Do you by any chance own your own hangar or well insulated barn??? :lol:

Awwww thanks for the compliment :). I have quite a few cossies, but most don't fit anymore (the boob fairy is sometimes nasty). I have flat plastic long containers and I put the costumes flat in them, with bags of that stuff that take away moist. It works :) But my house is quite full, because I also own a lot of party dresses, clothes, stuff for painting, stuff for jewelry making etc.
And of course I add costumes... Not often though. Maybe I can sell my ugly one on EBay (hehehehe) once I have used it, because that is a one time use thing.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Amulya! You've been the root of belly dance evil all this time and didn't tell me, your nearest and dearest co-moderator? :( I am truly crushed.

Nejmeh

Oew, perhaps this will provide me with the necessary kick in the butt/inspiration to start again...

Project 1; first ever attempt and I didn`t get further then cutting out the fabric. It`s a beautifull dark red velvetlike fabric completely embdroided with gold sparkles(?). I cut out the oulining of the skirt(a thight, 2 split type) but now I`m wondering if it`s 'suited'to have a completly embroidded skirt... I do see it on belts and bra`s and I do see velvet skirts but never together..What do you think, continue or just attempt to make a belt out of what i already cut? And if I continue, what kind of belt would look nice??? I do have enough fabric to make a bra, but I refuse to continue till I figured out what to do with the rest....

And I have some gorgeous fabric from Indonesia, the sort they use for kebaya`s(if anybody knows them:p), sort of looks like the seetrough weddingsari`s from India if you get it. My mom bought them for me last year, one black with green/bleu/black beading, one green with darker green/blue beading and a stunning purple one with pink and blue beading.. For the black one, I`ve decided to make a sort of full 'baladi' dress with undercoating but I have no idea where to start. For the rest, it`s such beautifull fabric but I don`t know what to do with it:/

Shanazel

I have a gorgeous length of black, gold, and copper metallic fabric that someone brought me from Bagdad about twenty-five years ago. She intended for me to use it for a costume, but I have never had the heart to cut it. It has brought me far more joy just as itself than it ever would have as part of a working costume. I wonder if I can scan it into my computer and post a picture:think:. Will try.

Prusilusken

Just reporting to tell you guys that I've not given up yet, I have even been able to keep myself from beginning a new project that looked shinier a couple of times, which is kind of a big deal for me - so I am already more than a bit proud of myself. :cool:

I decided that my first project should be something simple - and something I actually NEED, so I am having a go at making myself a pretty basic (though versatile) black bra mainly for ATS and the like.

I've gotten through the insanely tedious part of covering it and "fortifying" it now (phew!) and today I went out to buy D-rings and a few other things, so now I can begin to cover the bra with some black velvet that I've had lying around for over a decade now...

Yay!

Thank you for your support grrls, I hope to be able to upload pics of the finished project soon. I love this thread! :D

Oooh, Adiemus, that looks prettyyyy!

adiemus

Awwww thank you you lovely ladies! I'm steaming ahead with it because Kashmir's school has a performance on International Bellydance Day and I want to wear it for one of the dances. Will HAVE to make sure I have fake tan on though, silver makes me look so pale...
Shanazel that fabric sounds beautiful - best I hide my eyes or I will lust after it and end up buying something similar that I'l never get 'around to' making up!!