This scarf...?

animefarie

So I want to make this hip scarf really bad, like really bad! Lol. But I can't seem to find any patterns on the internet for it, or anything similar. I'm not familiar with knitting or crocheting, but my Boyfriend's mom agreed to make one with me to teach me how. So I attached some screen caps that took from "Totally Turkish with Ruby." I love this hip scarf!!!
I don't know how well you'll be able to see it in the pics, but to me it looks like the main part of the scarf is a floral-ly, lace-y type pattern, with really long fringe. Also would this be a rectangle, triangle, or "bowl" shape? I'm not sure how to go about it, all I know is I am in love with it! I would really perfer to make one, rather than buy one, so I can make it any color and decorate it how I want. Anyway, a huge thank you to you all in advance! Hope to hear from you soon and Happy Shimmies!
Animefarie

Marya

Stretch lace cut in an lozenge shape with ends that are long enough to tie with long fringe sewed to it.

Belly Love

Oooh, I just made a fringe scarf out of a velvety material and it's sooo pretty! Inexpensive and super easy! (Mine is triangle and there's more fabric than fringe. I think yours is between bowl and rectangle.

I just cut the material I chose (folded over so it would be the same on both sides) and used iron on fabric glue for the fringe. Then I added a a brass button at the bottom and a little swirl design with black rope (using hot glue). Last, I added matching beads to the end of the ties. The only part where I messed up is with the ties. They are just a thin extention of the material I used- not very stong. I may have to change them in the future.

I'm sure pro seamstresses would cringe at this, but I don't know how to sew so I had to improvise!

If you want help, let me know :)

Last edited:

Amulya

I made a scarf like that last year and used soft flexible tulle for it and chenille fringe. You can see a picture in my profile but it doesn't show the scarf well. If I could find it in all my mess (from moving :lol:) I could take a picture.

animefarie

I love all the suggestions so far, and Belly Love, your scarf looks really nice! I was just hooping if anyone could give some scarf crochet/knitting advice...any chance?

Daimona

Find yourself a pattern for a shawl you like (if triangular, stop before you hit the bottom corner), knit it and put on some fringes and when you finish, try it around your hips... ;)

animefarie

Thanks Daimona! That's a start! After trying this one I'd still like to find one that's lacey like Ruby's! Lol, I just die for that hip scarf!

Farasha Hanem

I don't have any crochet hip scarf patterns, per se, but to crochet a simple rectangle, all you do is increase the first and last stitches of every other row. If you know the double-crochet stitch, you can easily learn filet crochet, which will give you a lace-like, pretty pattern. Use fine cotton thread, one with a sheen would make a pretty hip scarf.

This site doesn't have hip scarf patterns, but you might be able to improvise with some of these shawl patterns:

Crochet Pattern Central - Free Shawl, Stole, and Shrug Crochet Pattern Links

Here's another crochet site that has info about filet crochet:

Patty' Filet and Crocheting Site

You can fringe your own scarf once it's made by winding the same thread around a piece of cardboard that's cut the same length you want your fringe. Hold the wound thread on the cardboard and carefully cut the threads on one end, then carefully slip the cardboard out and leave a loop on the uncut end. Using a large crochet needle, fringe every other hole on the end of your scarf by running the needle through every other stitch on the edge, one at a time, and catch the loop end of the fringe, and draw it through the stitch. Yarn over and grab the cut ends of the fringe, draw completely through the fringe loop and stitch on the scarf edge, this will tie the fringe to the edge. Draw it up tightly, smooth your new fringe, and re cut the ends to make sure they're all the same length.

Good luck, and have fun making your own hip scarf! :dance: