Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

indrayu

I love those patterned pants, but for day wear with a simple top. The fabric wouldn't look so attention-grabbing or movement-enhancing for performance.

nitewindz

Not to me; I agree with you. It could work with a special collection e.g. silk-covered or mother-of-pearl buttons (I've heard of Pearly King/Queens, but never seen them, so not distracted by that thought) The buttons used here just look to be random, mostly plastic ones.

Oh I agree, I do like the button bra and it would look cool with the right buttons. Or maybe jeweled button covers, the ones that were so popular in the 80s

Darshiva

From facebook:

Festive...

and seasonal...

Aniseteph

Missed opportunity IMHO.

They look like those magic twisty worm toys. I'm reading "hey, I got worms". No wonder the mannequin looks so cross.

Amulya

Got this one in the mail today. The pendant is nice though. Wish the maker would at least have covered the bra.

Farasha Hanem

All I can think of is the horror of having a pad drop out of a costume during a performance :shok: If you do it, I'd baste it in. You are all welcome to a hearty helping of my hips. I have some to spare :lol:

:confused: Problem is, you can't sew silicone. *glares at her fake silicone buppies that tend to slip out of her costume bras* >.>

Farasha Hanem

Next time I do, I'll make sure to use good fabric to make pockets instead of some cheapie fabric I got off the clearance table. I did that one year, and my fake boobie still ended up on the stage with an embarrassing splat... :confused:

Yuk! Is there something written on the belt of the first one or is that my imagination?

"SGS"? Maybe the designer's initials? :think:

Last edited:

Roshanna

This one looks to me like a face with a big black moustache. It's a Madame Nusa, and usually I like her designs (my favourite costume is a gold Madame Nusa), but this one is just really weird!

Aniseteph

I would like this if it wasn't for what looks like a treacherous front slit and that epic Crotchmotif. Change it to pants, lose the all seeing eye, and it would be rather cute.

All I can think is that someone over-ordered yellow fringe and they were desperate to shift it all.

And how does this say anything other than "didn't have enough fabric for the skirt"?

LOL - you go looking for inspiration and end up collecting contributions for this thread.

DancingArabian

This one looks to me like a face with a big black moustache. It's a Madame Nusa, and usually I like her designs (my favourite costume is a gold Madame Nusa), but this one is just really weird!

Reminds me of the mustache of the man on the Pringles can.

I think it would look nicer on this model if the bra cups were smaller.

Shanazel

The "not enough fabric"one might be saved by a judicious recutting of the overskirt. I like the look of an overskirt and like the combination of fabrics but in its current state it does say, "Make every inch count." ;)

The yellow fringe in unholy. Once seen...

Aniseteph

I'd definitely class 53-60 as a dangerous costume. Did you watch the whole clip?

The horns are awesome. It looks like a classy show.