to wear or not wear a belt?

patiencepie

I have taken a few classes and usually after the warm up, everybody gets their jingley belts on, but i dropped in on one class and the teacher said specifically that she doesnt have her students wear belts. i was wondering if it has to do with a teaching technique, or if it is distracting, or if it is a "tribal" thing (coz it was a tribal class, though I had been to another one where they did wear belts...) Just wondering why someone would discourage wearing of belts in a class... She moved and I never had a chance to ask...

Marya

I have taken a few classes and usually after the warm up, everybody gets their jingley belts on, but i dropped in on one class and the teacher said specifically that she doesnt have her students wear belts. i was wondering if it has to do with a teaching technique, or if it is distracting, or if it is a "tribal" thing (coz it was a tribal class, though I had been to another one where they did wear belts...) Just wondering why someone would discourage wearing of belts in a class... She moved and I never had a chance to ask...

jingly belts can be distracting and I know some teachers that encourage hip scarves that are silent.

Marya

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It is personal thing, some teachers like hipscarves, some don't, some encourage the use of the non jingly ones, others don't mind either way.

I sometimes wear the silent ones sometimes the mixed coin bead ones as they are not so loud and I just like the look. But in all classes I have taken, none of the teachers minded what sort you wore.

So just go with what your teacher prefers.
~Mosaic

Farasha Hanem

I can't remember which forum member it was, but someone here who's a BD teacher said she didn't allow coined/beaded hip scarves in her class because of broken-off coins and glass beads falling on the floor being dangerous to dancers, most especially if they're barefoot.

Amulya

My students used to shew coins like crazy LOL. I didn't mind the noisy belts or shedding, I just fet sorry for them that their belts fell apart!
The better quality Egyptian ones with beads only don't shed, but they are not that easy to find anymore.

lizaj

I prefer that students don't wear them as they are noisy and shed ut I haven't the heart to ban them as people like to jingle. I do advise them not to wear them in workshops. And I have to say at festivals with visiting teachers I do find them annoying when I am trying to listen to the teacher there is usually someone,usually in the front row and usually fidgety wearing one:rolleyes::D

Shanazel

I'm not a fan of the noise, either, but my students adore their jangles and I would not dream of depriving them of their weekly pleasure. I've learned to ignore the noise.

Greek Bonfire

For specialty workshops where the hall has a large echo capacity, noisy hip scarves interfere very much with hearing what the instructor says. However, for a weekly class where a teacher and students are familiar with each other, I think this can be more flexible as to whether or not coin belts can be worn. But beginners usually love the feel of the noisy hip scarf; later down the road, it didn't matter to me whether I wore one or not. In fact, after awhile, I preferred the netted ones or fringe ones as they were lighter.

PoleDanceABCs

I love wearing my belt and I'm grateful my teacher doesn't mind. :D I already have good rhythm but the jingling helps with some of the belly dance moves.

adiemus

I loathe the noisy coinbelts, so I'm really happy Kashmir doesn't allow them. It's way too difficult for me to hear, and I have had a concussion/mTBI, so I find it really difficult to deal with lots of that sort of sound.

You can get so many gorgeous hip scarves that are not noisy (I know, I have quite a few!), so if you can get a quiet one, maybe with just pailettes, or beads, then I think you can do really well!

jenc

One thing noisy hip belts are good for is practising your shoulder/bust shimmy. you should be able to do it witout a sound from hip belt.

Daimona

One thing noisy hip belts are good for is practising your shoulder/bust shimmy. you should be able to do it witout a sound from hip belt.

yeah.. and it may help seeing/hearing that you are doing your hip shimmies on the rhythm..

Lolpard

As a beginner having a noisy belt helped a lot. As I got better it was not necessary anymore. So I went from coins to just bead or fringe. I always wore a belt to class though.

Nejmeh

As for the noisy ones, well I don`t mind, as long as the person wearing it isn`t hyperactive.

I did however have great use in the beginning tying up a tight and sturdy scarf around my hips. It seemed to really help in keeping my centre aligned and using the right muscles.