tribal

nereida

hello everybody!
I have a question for you.
I live in a small city... there is only one dance school where I can learn belly dance. of course, I enrolled there and I love this lessons, but I dream about attending to a tribal school (but there's no any :(). I felt in love with tribal style when I saw Rachel Brice's performance.

so what's the question?
could you recommend me some how-to videos on youtube?
or maybe do you know some good movies which I could download to my computer?

I would be very happy if you helped me!
greetings from Poland (why the weather is so bad now? ;/)

TribalVibe

Hi... I think the best way is to find a teacher cause you can get more from it than from watching vids... but well, if you dont have any chance, you could buy some DVDs... personally, I learned from Rachel Brice`s BD arms and posture (which is very useful in learning to control your arm movement - and that is important for BD... :) and it also offers some yoga poses that you can use to prepare your body for dance movement which work well for me.. :) The another one I have is Sharon Kihara`s DVD about Tribal Fusion... or you might find some other dancers.. I have heard there is a nice DVD by Ariellah too... I dont have that one though.... :( GOOD LUCK!!! :)

nereida

thanks for your reply!
it's really impossible to find here a tribal teacher. ;/
in free time I will search for the titles you wrote me. :)

TribalVibe

thanks for your reply!

ufff.... that is such a shame... :( I know what you are talking about cause I had the same problems when I wanted to start bellydancing... I could not find ANY teacher... nor tribal (honestly, I did not know about tribal style at that time) nor cabaret.. But I WAS indeed lucky after some time... But back to the topic - these DVDs I was speaking about are truly good... at least I like them and were very helpful to me, so try to search for them. If you dont find them in stores (which you probably wont), you can always order them on amazon.com :) SOOOO enjoy!!! :)

Amulya

When I got interested in tribal, there was no one in the country who did it (Holland), so I had to travel oversees. I took some classes here and there from different teachers, I also took a workshop in Germany, but mostly I used DVDs. Would it be an option to go to Germany? Germany got a lot of tribal teachers.

TribalVibe

Yes, I agree with Amulya... as far as you have a lot of information and good references about a certain teacher (and you are sure about the persons qualities :), it IS worth travelling to another country to take classes with that particular person (that might be very expensive though in some cases... but if you want something... hmmm.... :D). So going to Germany could also be an option, why not? :)

nereida

that's interesting...
I have family in Germany so it could be possible to travel there :)
hmm and maybe some of you don't know that Poland borders with Germany :D so it's easy to travel there.
thanks for all replays.

dreamthief666

thanks for your reply!
in free time I will search for the titles you wrote me. :)
i think we really need more tribal teachers, i'm lucky i actually have one, but they are few and far between, its important to get instructional dvds rather than performance ones if your going to use it for learning,

lizaj

You know the story about Mohammed and the mountain. ;)
If you can gather together a few dancers interested in exploring the style then you invite a teacher to come to you and do a workshop for you, paying them and paying their expenses. If it's feasible you can repeat this with others or the same teacher at regualr intervals and back this up with recommended DVD tuition.

dreamthief666

You know the story about Mohammed and the mountain. ;)
If you can gather together a few dancers interested in exploring the style then you invite a teacher to come to you and do a workshop for you, paying them and paying their expenses. If it's feasible you can repeat this with others or the same teacher at regualr intervals and back this up with recommended DVD tuition.

i do agree with lizaj, but as i'm in the middle of doing this, having got 3 brillient tribal dancers coming to liverpool, i would suggest that people start on a smaller scale than i, with just 1 as it can be scary to shoulder the responsibility, but whatever happens i'll get 4 amazing workshops so heho, i'll survive.:lol:

Prabvi

hello everybody!
I have a question for you.
I live in a small city... there is only one dance school where I can learn belly dance. of course, I enrolled there and I love this lessons, but I dream about attending to a tribal school (but there's no any :(). I felt in love with tribal style when I saw Rachel Brice's performance.

so what's the question?
could you recommend me some how-to videos on youtube?
or maybe do you know some good movies which I could download to my computer?

I would be very happy if you helped me!
greetings from Poland (why the weather is so bad now? ;/)

worlddancenewyork.com has some good videos of many dance styles. My personal favorites are: Ariellah's Contemporary Bellydance & Yoga Conditioning, Asharah's Modern Tribal Bellydance, Darshan's Tribal Fusion NYC, Sera's East Coast Tribal, & Anasma's Hip-Hop Liquid Fusion.

There is also a Fantasy Bellydance series that is interesting. More alternative/experimental styles include: Tempest's Bellydance for the Beautiful Freaks, & Shakra's Industrial Strength Workout. They also have videos for Flamenco, Samba, etc if you are interested in World Fusion.

Rachel Brice also has another Instructional video called Tribal Fusion - Yoga Isolations & Drills for Bellydance that you can find easily online. That one is a good beginners video, but not one that I use very often anymore.

hollywoodmusiccenter.com also has many instructional & performance DVDs of traditional, modern, & tribal styles.

You can learn all you can from teachers, videos, & books...Technique Drilling is a must. But also know that the essence of dance is embedded in EVERY BODY. Listen to your favorite music & let your body move to it's own rhythms too. Intuitional dance practice adds body awareness & stage presence to technique...and helps to really connect to the people you are performing for.
Best of luck to you on your dance quest!

Namaste,

~Prabvi

Last edited:

Prabvi

I know there is the DVD called Fantasy Belly Dance, didn't know there were more. Does anyone own one of those? What is it like?

I have the Fantasy Belly Dance - Magic DVD. It's not bad at all, there are 3 performances/choreographies for each dance. The dancers are Autumn Ward, Isidora Bushkovski, & Ariellah. It seems more for an intermediate level than beginner. Here is the trailer:
YouTube - FANTASY BELLYDANCE: MAGIC DVD : WorldDanceNewYork.com belly dance : Free Shipping Worldwide!

I haven't seen the other dvds, only the trailers, but they seem like they would be of the same quality.

~Prabvi

maria_harlequin

I know there is the DVD called Fantasy Belly Dance, didn't know there were more. Does anyone own one of those? What is it like?

I own the entire set :D What I love using them for is not for copying the choreographies, but to learn combinations and movements to create my own. I don't recommend them if you're just starting out but if you've been dancing for awhile and want to start working on your own choreography, they're great.

Prabvi

I own the entire set :D What I love using them for is not for copying the choreographies, but to learn combinations and movements to create my own. I don't recommend them if you're just starting out but if you've been dancing for awhile and want to start working on your own choreography, they're great.

I do the same. Any videos with choreography are inspirational, but I feel more comfortable altering the combos & combining them with my own...always leaving room for improv :)

I know there are many Instructional & Performance videos out there...what are everyone's favorites?

I listed some of my favorites in a previous post--I have to add that I am loving Anasma's Hip-Hop Liquid Fusion--though the 2nd disk is a bit challenging, I'm up for it. Her warm up section is good & she explains/demonstrates her technique well. This is a fun fusion style that strengthens fluidity.
Another video I forgot to list was Darshan's Chakra Dance Flow...it really activates mind/body/space awareness. Her Tribal Fusion video is enjoyable too, with some World Fusion in the mix. Ariellah's Contemporary Bellydance & Yoga Conditioning has a thorough yoga warm up, drills & combinations--challenging yet encouraging. Asharah's Modern Tribal video is good for drilling robotic movements. And I do love Sera's East Coast Tribal style...and who can deny that Rachel Brice has mastered the amazing serpentine movements. Between the East & West coast, there are many styles evolving beautifully. Love the Theatrical aspects that are growing as well!

Does anyone know how the dance is evolving in other places outside the U.S.?

~Prabvi

TribalVibe

I know there are many Instructional & Performance videos out there...what are everyone's favorites?

Hmmm... unfortunately it is not at all easy to find DVDs about Tribal Fusion (or bellydance in general) in Slovakia..:( What a shame!!! But seems I was lucky since I found a great store, so I have some.. I listed the ones I LOOOVE for practicing technique but I also have some that are amazing for choreographies!! Very inspirational and impressive!:) Those are: Tribal Fusions - The Exotic Art Of Tribal Bellydance, Tribal Revolution and BellyDance Underworld. :) Anyone has any of them? LOL

~Prabvi

Well, I have to admit that Tribal Fusion is not very popular in Slovakia.. :( which is a pity... actually I think people just dont know about it (and they dont know what they are missing). To be honest I know only about 2 people besides me who do this style. :( Would be nice if there was a chance to popularize it! :) I think it is better known and more popular in the Czech Republic though! :)

lizaj

The UK has seen a lot of the Fusion aka Rachel Brice and beyond.
Sam Hawsthorpe dances with BDSS

I'll report back on what goes at Raqs B, tribal wise.
There are dancers like Dawn O'Brien pushing the boundaries. She's innovative and interesting but I wouldn't call what she does belly dance at all BUT she actually can belly dance!The BDSS off shoot Tribal London is a popular event, there's Tribal Ford held in NE England and Tribal Vibe held in both England and Scotland.
There are groups that do their own version of tribal Michelle Pender and Urban Gypsies in Manchester. 400 Roses of Yorkshire blend British traditions with tribal and the is a British tribal style run by Pauline Quereshi(I hope I spelt that right)
There are still pockets of ATS based dancing going on here and there including the troupe I belong to. We use ATS moves and also like to bring an element of folk or other traditions.

Gothla UK is a very successful event

Barefoot Belly(GC trained) here in the UK is the only UK troupe to produce an instructional DVD as far as I know but it s very basic instruction although well produced..that's good to see a better quality example of production coming out of the UK.
The group I admired here was Rashani with Wendy Marlett.They are FCBD inspired.

The DVD instructions from the USA, I like apart from FCBD,GC and Doba are Cardio Belly 1 and 2 tby Tribe Melange . Pedralta dance sells a performance DVD from Rashani.
I'd also recommend Amazon.com: Ali: A Tribal Fusion Choreography by Sahira: Sahira and
Amazon.com: Belly dance/Tribal Choreography Workshop DVD: Aela Badiana

Last edited:

Amulya

I have the Fantasy Belly Dance - Magic DVD. It's not bad at all, there are 3 performances/choreographies for each dance. The dancers are Autumn Ward, Isidora Bushkovski, & Ariellah. It seems more for an intermediate level than beginner. Here is the trailer:
YouTube - FANTASY BELLYDANCE: MAGIC DVD : WorldDanceNewYork.com belly dance : Free Shipping Worldwide!

I haven't seen the other dvds, only the trailers, but they seem like they would be of the same quality.

~Prabvi

Oh it's an instructional DVD? Not a performance DVD? What a pity. I really liked the gothic DVD they did and thought this would be similar.

I'm in Australia and haven't been to any belly dance events lately, but what I saw before was quite a lot of ATS and ITS, barely any tribal fusion. But maybe they got it in Melbourne and Sydney. There are workshops every now and then in ATS/ITS stuff and that's not my thing. Also workshops are so far away, there's no way I can afford to go. It's a huge country!

Last edited:

maria_harlequin

Oh it's an instructional DVD? Not a performance DVD? What a pity. I really liked the gothic DVD they did and thought this would be similar.

Well actually you can just skip through the instruction and watch the performances!! :lol: It might be a bit pricey though. And the dances are meant for the more intermediate dancers so I don't feel like all the dancers are showing off what they can really do. But still, I watch it just for the performances anyway. It's fun!

Amulya

What a pity, that's why I prefer performance DVDs, you can see the dancers in their usual style, not toned down to make it 'easier'.