Trinidad Belly dance store?

Amethyst Krystal

I have no idea where i can find a costume! I was lucky enough to get a hip scarf to practice with in wonderful world but i want a costume and i can't order one off the internet. I am 15 and i am petite i doubt i'd find one online that can fit me...So what i'm asking is does anyone know a place where i can go to buy an outfit and maybe sword and other accessories, i honestly don't know if there are like belly dance stores or anything. i live in trinidad. Can anyone help me?please?:(

Last edited:

alosha

I don't know of anyone in Trini. Your best bet is probably going to be making your own! Theres TONS of threads on here about how to make your own bedlah, trust me, it's not as hard as it seems.

As far as a skirt and veil, I've shipped to Trini before for our very own Mya, so if thats something you're interested in, let me know.

maria_harlequin

Do you attend classes or know other dance students? Some teachers and students are usually open to helping those that can't order online out if they happen to be online shoppers. That's what my teacher and I do. Or maybe they might know an outlet in the country where you can purchase costumes and accessories.

And just btw, no one should be afraid of buying overseas! I've been buying for the past decade and selling for the last couple of years and I've never had a problem with lost or damaged goods. I did have a bottle of Manic Panic accidentally shipped to Trinidad (no idea how someone could read Thailand as "Trinidad") last year so it took over a month to arrive. Just make sure your package is registered one way or another so you have proof of delivery and arrival. For the US, it can get a bit pricey with "Priority Shipping" but worth it if you're having something expensive delivered.

Amethyst Krystal

Do you attend classes or know other dance students? Some teachers and students are usually open to helping those that can't order online out if they happen to be online shoppers. That's what my teacher and I do. Or maybe they might know an outlet in the country where you can purchase costumes and accessories.

And just btw, no one should be afraid of buying overseas! I've been buying for the past decade and selling for the last couple of years and I've never had a problem with lost or damaged goods. I did have a bottle of Manic Panic accidentally shipped to Trinidad (no idea how someone could read Thailand as "Trinidad") last year so it took over a month to arrive. Just make sure your package is registered one way or another so you have proof of delivery and arrival. For the US, it can get a bit pricey with "Priority Shipping" but worth it if you're having something expensive delivered.

i'm not afraind of buying overseas, just credit card and money problems recently lol, and i'm small so i doubt i'd get stuff online that'll fit me properly.... even the hip scarf doesn't fit properly it looks a little big and long on me. so i was hoping it would have a store that i could go to to find my sizes, if they even have it lol

Last edited:

NnekaFemi

Bellydance costume

Hi Krystal,

I'm in Trinidad and I supply bellydance costumes from Egypt and the USA. Mya has bought from me as well as several other Trini bellydancers you may have met on the forum. Let me know what you are interested in and your budget, I'll see what I can source for you. My website is Bellydance With Nneka - Welcome!

Amethyst Krystal

Hihi

i've seen you before but i couldn't go to your lessons sadly. my mother is very protective and she won't be able to send or take me to marabella on anyday she's busy and no one else would go with me, that's problem number 1

2) i'm only 15 so i don't know how i can get to buy anything from you if i'd have to go marabella, if it was somewhere in san fernando.... maybe hha the person that may be able to take me is my sister and she doesn't know san fernando very well much less marabella.

i'll see what i can do but will i have to buy things in bulk? my money supply is dad and ... he doesn't much approve of bellydance and no amount of explaination would make him understand lol so i can't ask for too much without reason.

wow it sound like u should be asking "then why the hell did you ask?" right now haha!

Nejmeh

I agree with the making it yourselves. At least untill you have another fund then daddy and are able to make the travel yourselves. You can make it customfit if you make it and it`s really not that hard as it seems(or at least, you don`t have to make it hard to have a nice result). And, it costs way less then bying pre-made(if you can restrain yourselves from bying everything glittery you come across during your project:D)

Shanazel

Amethyst, I taught myself to sew when I was fifteen. You can learn to make very serviceable costumes- even beautiful costumes- that fit you perfectly. There is nothing like the satisfaction of wearing something lovely that you've made for yourself.

There are lots of books and websites for beginning seamstresses, not to mention a ton of us on OD who are more than happy to share costuming tips. I learned to sew and alter patterns largely from books. The first thing I made at fifteen was a tailored, lined outfit that someone told me later was "too advanced" for a beginner to make. Ha! If I could do it, you can do it.

If you don't have a sewing machine, you can sew by hand, but machines needn't be prohibitively expensive. Maybe dad would buy one for you, especially if he realized how cost-efficient doing your own sewing and mending would be.