Turkish/armenian song, translate?

Salome

Administrator
Karoun Karoun or Garun Garun is a great song! I've never actually heard a version with lyrics before but I understand there are lyrics to it. I thought it was a Turkish song but was told recently that it is actually Armenian but sung in Turkish. I found some lyrics which the person put in both Turkish and some Armenian. Can anyone translate this?

Garun garun garun e, sirun sirun sirun e
Et ko sev sev աճերով yar jan ինձ du ayrum es

Refrain

Char lezuneri havatats im եարը
Արցունքները լցւեց sev աճերը

Refrain

Es աշխարհը shat pouch ban e heranal
Uzum էի heranal u moranal

Refrain

Garun garun garune, sirun sirun sirune
Et ko sev sev աճերով yar jan ինձ du ayrum es (3 times)

Et ko սերից molorvax em kun chunem
Bolor gisher artsunknerov tanjvum em

Refrain

Yar jan ինձնից mi herana, sirum em
Անցնորդները կարծում են te yar kuzem

Refrain

Et ko sev sev աճերով yar jan ինձ du ayrum es (2 times)

Garun garun garune, sirun sirun sirune (2 times)

Et ko sev sev աճերով yar jan ինձ du ayrum es (2 times)

Yasmina

It's spring, spring spring...
It's beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
With those black black eyes of yours, you're burning my soul, darling

My sweetheart listened to evil tongues
And her black black eyes filled with tears

This world is all emptiness,
I wanted to leave and to forget

It's spring, spring, spring...

Because of your love I'm lost and sleepless,
I'm being tortured all night with my tears

Darling, don't leave me, I love you
People who pass by think I need love

(this last sentence sounds a little weird in English :))

Yasmina

I grew up with this song - I love it :)

By the way, there's not one Turkish word in the lyrics you posted, it's all Armenian. It's just that some words are written in Armenian script and some are transcribed in Latin script (like the letters in the English alphabet). I've actually never heard the Turkish version of this song. I did a little research and this is what I found on "Yasmina's joy of bellydancing". Belly Dance Music Reviews

“Without a doubt, the most well known Armenian folk tune, Karoun Karoun is a typical love song in which the singer warns his sweetheart to be careful and not listen to evil words. This song’s popularity has led to versions in Arabic (Fatoom, Fatoom), Turkish and Greek.”

By the way, you just inspired me to make a cool complilation CD. My daddy is a musician and he plays this song on the accordeon. Since he loves to collect different versions of the same song, I'm going to find as many versions as possible, put them on a CD and give it to him. Are there any Greeks (Aya? Chryssanthi?) who can help me with the Greek title?

Last edited:

Yasmina

I found this by accident. Nancy Ajram singing Garun Garun in Armenian with a cute accent.:) And she ends up singing a couple of words of the Arabic version.

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator
You are my hero yasmina! I really adore this song. The version I am most use to is on this album - it's got a sound clip Spice of Life #6. You made my day, thanks so much.

Resad-9

It's an Azeri song!

Hi,
first of all, I know, it's an old post, but I couldn't stop me want to correct this mistake.
The song which you're talking about is an old Azeri song sung by one of the best female singers in the USSR - Zeynab Khanlarova. The song has been composed by Alakbar Taghiyev (he's also the composer of Sen gelmez oldun, Arzu qizim, and other hits of those times in the USSR), and the lyrics have been written by a great Azerbaijani poet Mikayil Mushfig who was executed at 30 during the Stalinist purges. He had dedicated this poem to his wife before being executed.

Here the original song is:
Zeynab Khanlarova - Sene gurban (video with photos of Mikayil Musfig and his wife)

Zeynab was the cultural face of the USSR, she had concerts in the USA, Germany, France, the UK, Russia, Iran, Turkey, Armenia, India, Arab states, etc with an audience of hundred thousands. That's why her songs were sung in many languages. For example, there are Armenian, Turkish, Persian, Arabic versions of this song.

I hope you'll see this reply! :)

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator
Fascinating, thank you for contributing to this thread. As I said I love this song, always have, always will. Fantastic to know more about it.

Resad-9

Fascinating, thank you for contributing to this thread. As I said I love this song, always have, always will. Fantastic to know more about it.
Thank you! I like this song as well. I know there's a sad story behind the song, but the lyrics still keep you cheer up. :) By the way, "Sənə qurban" is a phrase in Azeri which means "I'm always ready to die for you".
This song means a lot to me.

Last edited:

Meera

I found this by accident. Nancy Ajram singing Garun Garun in Armenian with a cute accent.:) And she ends up singing a couple of words of the Arabic version.

Thanks so much for sharing this! Nancy is adorable, I dont even speak Armenian but I can still hear the accent :p