Useful Model for Ordering Costumes

SeeJaneDance

Anala, some of my street bras cut me like that--it's what happens when the cup is too small. It sounds like you're over-padding. Or maybe putting the padding in the wrong places? I'd remove the pads that you've added, figure out exactly where you need the extra, and go the old-fashioned route by folding up some tissue (temporarily of course) to see where and how much padding you need. You may find you need to pad the top of the cup instead of the bottom, push-up style (which could be pushing you out of the cup). Then you can either re-insert your store-bought pads or make your own.

PracticalDancer

SJD (If I may abbreviate ;)),

Thanks!

You raise a very good point. Without trying to go into too much detail, shopping for street bras today revealed something I had suspected. I need what used to be called a "full figure cup;" which is ironic, since I am a 34B. The thing is that when I shop for underwire bras, I need one with a wide "U" (or "j") on the underwire. Just because one needs a smaller cup size doesn't mean one needs a smaller curve in the wire, and the corollary to that is true, too.

By the way, welcome!

SeeJaneDance

Aw, I'm glad I could help! And thanks!

Also, I never knew there was such a thing...are they still available? My MIL has a similar problem (with street bras), and I finally told her to just remove her underwires altogether. It works like a charm for her. I don't know how that would work for a dance bra, though.

Amulya

Btw: what are street bras? That sounds dirty somehow! As if someone has picked them up from the floor LOL

Marisol

boob departmant

I sent a new picture including the vertical size.

Another tip: for those who are cursed by the boob-fairy, order a slightly bigger bra to grow into. I did with several bra's and still grew out of them. I hate that! My gothic cossie is now too big everywhere else and on the boob department too small. Now I just make much bigger bra's.

Does that have something to do with gaining and losing weight I wonder, that when you lose the extra weight you can't shed it on the boobs?

Boob-Fairy blessed you and cursed me. I loose weight and boobs dissapear first. Poof!

jjj

Aw, I'm glad I could help! And thanks!

Also, I never knew there was such a thing...are they still available? My MIL has a similar problem (with street bras), and I finally told her to just remove her underwires altogether. It works like a charm for her. I don't know how that would work for a dance bra, though.

When I go bra shopping I make sure all mine have the underwire and good padding. Boob-Fairy never visit me at night :(

Amulya

Not sure if it is a blessing haha, it makes it very hard to buy bras because the ones for a small ribcage don't come in big sizes, so I have to buy a bigger band size bra and take the back band in. The bigger band sized ones do come in bigger cups.
And another thing: why are shoulder straps always so long? And not all of them can be made much shorter because there is only a short part that's adjustable. I also wish for wider shoulder straps.

Nazeera

Most bras found in department stores don't fit the average woman. It is estimated that 85% of women don't wear the proper size bra.

Might I offer a few options for those who are built like me? I have a small ribcage with a voluptuous bust. My average size for a street bra is 30G, 29 inch under bust and 38 inch over the bust. Used to think I was a 34DD, cause that was all I could find in the stores. I highly suggest finding a professional fitter, it makes finding bras so much easier. Thus less work finding what works for costume bras. These best places online that I have found:

Designer Lingerie, Bras, Briefs, Underwear, Swimwear | figleaves.com

Bras, Panties, Lingerie & More - HerRoom

Bras, Bra Fitting, Nursing Bras & Supplies, Bra Size Swim & More | Breakout Bras

Amulya

I am curious what stores have those in Australia. I can't afford bras from specialized stores. I noticed the bigger the cups, suddenly the middle bit is made higher and that hurts.
I normally use size 12DD (and that rides up at the back, not supposed to do so), but I am a 10 and that would be in an E cup and those are not being sold in regular stores. Strange: I really don't have very big breasts actually.

True that most women wear the wrong size, you can see that when the back bands rides up.

Darshiva

Try Bras'n'Things, I've had a lot of success with them and they seem to carry *nice* linerie in "odd" sizes (10F, 14EE, etc).

Amulya

You're right, totally forgot about them! Haven't seen them around here yet. They are often a bit pricey, but sales can be good.

Nazeera

I am curious what stores have those in Australia. I can't afford bras from specialized stores. I noticed the bigger the cups, suddenly the middle bit is made higher and that hurts.
I normally use size 12DD (and that rides up at the back, not supposed to do so), but I am a 10 and that would be in an E cup and those are not being sold in regular stores. Strange: I really don't have very big breasts actually.

True that most women wear the wrong size, you can see that when the back bands rides up.

When you go up a band size you go down a cup size and vice versa. Has something to with the under-wire size and depth of cup. Figleaves has a great fitting guide and conversion chart that includes Australian sizes. They have a lot of bras that are very reasonably priced and figleaves.com is great to work with.

http://www.figleaves.com/us/fitting_room.asp?cat=189&txt=5679