what belly dance style is Shakira?

Ariella

Shakira doesn't purely bellydance. She fuses oriental dance with salsa, hip hop, and other types of latin dance.

Aisha Azar

Shakira

Dear Violetsidhe,
I am assuming we are talking about Shakira the singer and not Shikara from Ohio. Shakira the singer is not a belly dancer. She is a singer who has occasonally used some of the same movements in her choreographies that belly dancers and other kinds of dancers use.
Belly dance is only in part bout theose movements. it has its own feeling and spirit and has other elements that make it berlly dance that Shakira does not include in her artistic offerings. Please do not confuse what s
Shakira does with belly dance. I know its easy to do this, but I swear to you that she is not a belly dancer, no matter what movements she is using, because the dance is much more than movement.
Regards,
A'isha

Outi

Working or taking classes from someone doesn't make style. If student takes classes from one teacher (or teachers with same style) for a long time she propably is influenced so much and will dance with that style, too.

For example I have taken some classes from teachers from Europe and America with different styles, but I'm Egyptian style dancer. I take what I want from their teaching and make them look Egyptian.

Yousry Sharif takes movements and things from jazz, but no-one is saying he does jazz dance.

Just like Aisha said, there is so much more in dancing than just the movements.

By the way if Shakira is not a belly dancer how, can she have a certain oriental dance style.

Don't take offence by my harshness, it's not you. I just have had this Shakira stuff too much lately.

Aisha Azar

Shakira

Dear Violeetsidhe,
I watched the video. l did not see any belly dance on it. I saw some undulations, some hip movements in a posture that was nothing like the postures for belly dance, and some other movements that in themselves, slightly resembled some of the movements of belly dance. We have to keep in mind that many dance forms also incorporate these same movements. The postures, attitude and every other thing about the video was not belly dance... more jazz or modern in their feel, possibly.
My point was and still is that Shakira does not do a style of belly dance.
She incorporates some movement that might be found in belly dance when performed with the right posture,music, spirit, cultural essence, etc.
Regards,
A'isha

Moon

I agree I did not see bellydance in this clip, but I think bellydance could have influenced Shakira's dance style. I would refer to her style as Shakira-dance though.

Hm, I hope she won't take over that "I'm being electrocuted"-style Beyonce does.. ;)

nicknack

Hm, I hope she won't take over that "I'm being electrocuted"-style Beyonce does.. ;)

So does everyone on the official forum. We were thrown into a frenzy of confusion when the duet was announced (we only really like duets with Alejandro Sanz:lol: )

Strange that nobody used Ojos Asi as a dancing example that'd be a little more relevant

"Electrocuted style".....by that are you referrring to the fast, vibrational(read shimmy) move that involves her torso and pelvis? That style belongs to urban dance scene popularized by music videos but originated by African-American social dance. It's roots can still be found in many West African Dance styles.
Yasmine

Mouse

about the only thing I could think of while watching the very end of the first video link was "How bad would that be for your back!!" :lol:

gwinity

Please do not confuse what Shakira does with belly dance. I know its easy to do this, but I swear to you that she is not a belly dancer, no matter what movements she is using, because the dance is much more than movement.
(This post is not drected solely at A'isha, despite using her quote.)

So what, I wonder, makes a person a bellydancer? What is that fine line a person must cross from being someone who dances in their spare time to being able to say "I'm a bellydancer"?

Is there a certain number of performances one must do? Is the title only for the pros who earn a living from dancing, or are students also entitled to add "bellydancer" to the list of things-they-are?

Regarding Shakira, she obviously has a huge love of the dance, and appears to have studied it (given the sheer number of different clips in which she uses BD movement), so what makes her less of a bellydancer than, say, any of the non-professional dancers (are we even considered bellydancers?) on this very forum? Is it simply because she fuses bellydance with other danceforms, or what? And if a 'true' bellydancer did the same, would she be stripped of the "bellydancer" title?

*runs from exploding can o'worms*

Lydia

Shakira shakira!! you know how many teenagers come into my classroom and say ,,i am new today and i want to learn bellydancing i want to be like Shakira...or can you teach me what Shakira is doing?? keep in mind that in the country where i live bellydancing is still something that is never on tv ...it is in nightclubs but most lady,s and special young girls can never go there...so for them Shakira is a bellydancer ...when they start to attend classes then they see the differance,...the good thing is that before Shakira was known in this country what is about 3 years now,things have changed and many many local girls now come to classes in a way Shakira gave them a taste to see a little bit of ,,bellydancing,,.....they leave the Abaya in the dressingroom and come and dance,sometimes even bringing mom with them to have a look and to make sure it,s all ok...so Shakira did a great thing in her way she put a differant but nice light on ,let me call it her style of dancing and i love her for it,simply because all the girls i am talking about would have never tought about going to bellydance classes simply because it is still so misunderstoud in this part of the world....have a nice day everybody , oooo bdw, Shakira is performing today in Dubai!! i am sure half my class is attending the concert!! Lydia

Aisha Azar

Shakira

Dear Group,
Yet, how many people who are not educated about the dance ( and how many who are)THINK that Shakira is belly dancing??

Dear Gwinity,
Please read my other two posts here to get more of a description of why Shakira is not a belly dancer.

Dear Lydia,
I may like Shakira and she may spark an interest in the dance, but she, herself is not belly dancing. I would hate for all of the young girls in your classes to think that she is what the dance is all about when there is so much more depth to the real thing. I am sure you are teaching them the differences!!

Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Lydia

Hi Aisha ...o yes that is why i say in my post when they come and start the classes they see and know how differant it realy is...but specialy for people that dont know anything about bellydancing many of them think shakira is a bellydancer...of course for us dancers we al know that she is not ,but i still like her she is so much loved in the middle east and i think she is cool !! have a great day Lydia

Lydia

bdw, there was a thread like 2 weeks ago where some of us discussing shakira her dancing, but i can not find it back in the forum...it was very simular to this . is she or is she not a bellydancer......Lydia

Aisha Azar

Shakira

Dear Violeetsidhe,
I think your question was a really good one and there was nothing offensive about it. One of the best ways to find the answers is to ask the questions. I am an old dancer now aqnd I still have plenty of them!!

Dear Lydia,
Shakira is wonderful fun and I like her, too. One reason why we need to be so clear in defining what is being done on stage; even a lot of belly dancers think Shakira is a belly dancer.

Regards to you both,
A'isha

Suheir

Shakira's a singer who uses some belly dance moves in her act - like Natacha Atlas. Although, Natacha Atlas has apparently worked as an Oriental dancer at some point. I prefer Shakira!

nicknack

One reason why we need to be so clear in defining what is being done on stage; even a lot of belly dancers think Shakira is a belly dancer.

This is one thing that really annoys me, but for different reasons. I love Shakira and her incredible set of lungs, and all the vibrato that comes from them, I also love the lyrics and the musical arrangements. Knowing all the hard work that she has been doing for around the past 15 years it really annoys me when people think of her as "the hip shaker"

While I'm here everyone should know about Shaks duet with
Miguel Bosé: Si Tu No Vuelves, which is on his new album Papito:dance:

Aisha Azar

Shakira

Dear Nicknack,
I certainly see a lot of that as Shakira's own doing. She does not HAVE to crawl around seductively in the mud to sell herself...she chooses to. I agree that she could stand on her voice alone, but she is selling herself as a "hip shaker".
Regards,
A'isha