what styles dont suit you?

gisela

Super Moderator
turkish and lebanese bellydance probably doesn't suit me. They seem more "violent" for lack of a better word, than egyptian and "generic world bellydance" or Amcab.
I also would probably not be able to take goth or similar styls of fusion serious if I would dance it. I admit to never have tried it so I could be wrong. That is just not what I'm looking for in this dance.

LeylaLanty

Started off with AmCab which I can still do, but went on to mostly Egyptian style stuff - Egyptian folk (as in Saidi, some Ghawazee), Egyptian raqs sharqi with balady overtones (or undertones?). What doesn't suit me is some of the stage "fake"lore, such as Malaya Leff (I don't feel I can do "coy"), Turkish and Lebanese, ATS and other tribal styles and a most fusion. I like to watch all these styles when done well, but I don't feel comfortable doing them myself. Along the 3 plus decades I've been dancing, I've learned at least a little of these styles, but have chosen to concentrate on Egyptian.

Kharmine

I've only taken Egyptian so don't have a lot to compare to how another style feels. I like watching just about everything, if done well. And, of course, every dancer interprets a style a little differently.

Ligeia

Very elegant and sophisticated, ballet-influenced egyptian style (Think of Beata and Horacio Cifuentes and/or Mahmoud Reda -style) is not for me, allthough that is the very style I have danced most :think:. I love ballet (I have even danced when I was a kid), I love belly dance, I just don't like when those two meet. I've even performed Reda's andalucian dance but man, did I feel myself out of place in the stage.

I'm into more earhy and relaxed styles like balady, AmCab and turkish styles, and on the other hand to more recent fusion styles like ATS and tribal fusion. And I am curious about "weirder" BDI (=belly dance inspired) styles like gothic dance. As log as it contains no ballet...

athansor

I've never been able to get into ATS, although back in the day, I really liked a lot of the folkloric styles. I never thought I would be interested in learning Turkish styles (figured I was Egyptian style through and through) but lately I've been thinking I'd like some of that energy in my dancing.

Machiavellia

Even though I'm pretty firmly in the fusion/modern camp, if I were not, I would probably be Egyptian heavy AmCab. So I would say, like a lot of others, that Lebanese and definitely Turkish would probably be outside my reach. I love being energetic, but the energy in Turkish requires (I think) intense confidence that I'm not sure I could project.

I think the even energy of ATS would be tough for me too. I tend to emote as it comes to me, I don't think I have the control for it, although learning more would be good for all of my dancing.

Last edited:

dreamthief666

I've never been able to do coy (even my husband has always said stop trying to look coy it doesn't suit you when I'm trying to get round him!!!)
i tried to do walking 8 as my teacher had demontrated to look sexy, but him indoors just said it looked like i was walking "funny" git so i gave up.

i would love to have the body to copy racheal brice, but sadly NO,

i don't manage coy either
thank god for tribal, i'm practising my cool look.

Ranya

I`m definitely not Tribal and all that comes with it.
Not AmCab either.
All in all I`m Egyptian in style whether it is folklore or beledi or classical oriental.