When did belly dance arrive in Australia?

Erik

Well.....I would have thought Rozeta Ahalyea was the first to bring belly dance to Australia in the 1960's, but when I went to Wikipedia I found that her page had been deleted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rozeta_Ahalyea

Hey, I think I recognize the song. Isn't that Aziza?

Try to ignore the Roman orgy and just watch the dancing. :)

Last edited:

Kashmir

Rozeta Ahalyea wasn't the first. She started dancing in Sydney in 1962 because she thought she could do better than the belly dancer the restaurant currently had.

I can't find anyone in Melbourne before Maria Antonio in the 1970s.

Queensland had Elenie in 1979.

Belyssa, currently in Perth, would have been earlier - but she wasn't in Perth when she started with Bobby & Serena in NY.

Darshiva

They are also considered the two main repositories of bellydance history in Australia.

From this exchange, I'm guessing the same is said of you in NZ? :D

Kashmir

They are also considered the two main repositories of bellydance history in Australia.

From this exchange, I'm guessing the same is said of you in NZ? :D
I started about 20 years into the NZ scene - but yes, I collect data and in addition to my own research store the MEDANZ history in my garage :D

Amulya

That's strange they deleted Rozeta Ahalyea's page. That could only be done on her request I guess?

Erik

That's strange they deleted Rozeta Ahalyea's page. That could only be done on her request I guess?

It says the claims made were not able to be verified by any independent reliable source. Going only from memory now, but I seem to recall the page said that Rozeta brought bellydance to Australia, so I accepted that and moved on. In reading Kaskmir's reply, apparently she was not the first. Instead of amending the page it was deleted entirely.