Where do tambourines fit?

Nath

Our instructor has announced that we will be using tambourines soon. Just curious as to everyone's take on where that fits in the dance. A musical accompaniment like zills? Just a prop like a sword? Some place in between? I had to run out of class and didn't get a chance to question my instructor on this and would like to hear from all of you.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I would say that Tambourines are more folkloric than anything - at least the folkloric troupe of which I'm a member is where I first encountered them as part of Belly Dance.

We use them as an instrument.

shiradotnet

As a belly dance prop, they really don't fit.

Tambourines and other frame drums exist as a muscal instrument in the Middle East, and they're a typical part of Egyptian orchestras who play for dancers. They're called a riqq) in Egypt. But the musicians who play riqq don't dance with it, and dancers don't play riqq while they dance.

I think Americans dragged them into belly dancing for a few reasons: 1) The old postcards showing women of North Africa posing while holding a tambourine, 2) The mention of dancing with a tambourine in the Bible, and 3) The fakelore stereotype of Gypsies dancing with tambourines (not that image of the European Gypsy in a peasant blouse and full skirt waving a tambourine around has anything to do with belly dancing...)

I personally would like to see an end to tambourines being used in belly dancing.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Well it may not be common, but I have seen video (home footage) of casual parties where the women grab a hand drum and bang on it while party-goers dance.

Spontaneous percussion, in other words.

I think having dancers play hand drums in a social or folky-setting gives a nice earthy feel to a performance, but a tambourine complete with ribbons and streamers gives off a more faux-Gypsy look and I'm not crazy about that.

shiradotnet

Well it may not be common, but I have seen video (home footage) of casual parties where the women grab a hand drum and bang on it while party-goers dance.

Well, that's a different thing from trying to come up with as many body parts as possible to bang it on and waving it around in the air while prancing about. I was referring to the "dancing with it" thing.

Now, if a troupe wanted to stage a folkloric tableau in which one person dances while the others sit on the floor in a semicircle behind her and play their frame drums, play their finger cymbals, or clap their hands, I think that would be great and in keeping with the way people actually use a tambourine in the countries it comes from.

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

eep *tinkle, tinkle*

>>

<<

:confused:

*hides ribbony tambourine with a butterfly decal behind her back, tinkling accusingly at her* :redface:

Well, yeaaaaaaaah, I've known all along that tambourines are fakeloric, but whaddaya do when your troupe does a tambourine routine at ren faires? :confused:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
3) The fakelore stereotype of Gypsies dancing with tambourines (not that image of the European Gypsy in a peasant blouse and full skirt waving a tambourine around has anything to do with belly dancing...)

Yes its used a lot in fantasy gypsy bellydance. Again I think they are just playing up the expected stereotype thanks to movies.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

>>

<<

:confused:

*hides ribbony tambourine with a butterfly decal behind her back, tinkling accusingly at her* :redface:

Well, yeaaaaaaaah, I've known all along that tambourines are fakeloric, but whaddaya do when your troupe does a tambourine routine at ren faires? :confused:

Hey, why not call it Faerie Style Belly Dance? You could even teach workshops in this latest fusion. LOL.

I actually saw Faerie dancers at a faire around here, complete with wings. It was quite adorable.

maria_harlequin

I don't think it has a place in belly dance either but I've seen some very gorgeous belly dance performances with tambourines that didn't look like they were playing with the the gypsy stereotype.