Where to begin?

Seraphs_Dancing

I'm going to be putting together my first real belly dance costume for the Ren Fare next year. (I made one for halloween 2 years agao using what I had on hand. This time I want to start from scratch.)

I know my season, I have my colors picked out and I know I want it to be tribal styled. But where does one begin who's never actualy made a belly dancer's costume before?
I picked up a pattern last year, but simplicity no longer has it in their catalog and it's literally a costume pattern. After much research, I question the likelyhood that the skirt is anywhere near 10 yrds.

Are there any rules that must be followed in making a tribal costume? How much is too much? Or is there even such thing as too much in costuming?
Any advice, costume, make-up, jewelry, anything! is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Shanazel

Take a look through all the back threads for Costumes. You'll find sources, suggestions, and instructions as well. Good luck!

Seraphs_Dancing

Aww...I've been watching Fat Chance Belly Dance on youtube and I really love the style. :(
But thank you for the links, Shira.

Shanazel, that's actualy how I found this forum. I guess I was wondering if there was simple (?) methods for someone who's just starting (and with no sewing machine), but I'll contiue to look around. :)

Thanks to both of you.

Last edited:

Shanazel

No sewing machine certainly complicates things as well as increases the amount of time you spend sewing. My best suggestion would be to invest in a sewing machine and learn to use it. You can get very basic, inexpensive and serviceable machines, both new and used. I have had the same mechanical Singer machine for forty years and it still works as well as it ever did. I only invested in a computerized machine a couple of years ago. My son now has the Singer and it is still sewing.

Sewing a long skirt seam by hand is a great chore when you can do it by machine in a couple of minutes.

I am glad your search for costumes brought you to the forum. Stick around!

shiradotnet

Aww...I've been watching Fat Chance Belly Dance on youtube and I really love the style.
But thank you for the links, Shira.

Shanazel, that's actualy how I found this forum. I guess I was wondering if there was simple (?) methods for someone who's just starting (and with no sewing machine), but I'll contiue to look around. :)

Thanks to both of you.

Well...

The FatChance costuming style wouldn't be appropriate for a Renaissance Faire because it absolutely has nothing at all to do with what anybody wore back at that time in history. Since you said you were looking for a costume for a Renaissance Faire, that's why I linked to my article about appropriate costuming options for Faires.

As for my other link, the one that points to costume pattern sources, that one contains information about patterns for achieving the FatChance look. Though it could be difficult without a sewing machine....

Last edited:

Seraphs_Dancing

Well...

The FatChance costuming style wouldn't be appropriate for a Renaissance Faire because it absolutely has nothing at all to do with what anybody wore back at that time in history. Since you said you were looking for a costume for a Renaissance Faire, that's why I linked to my article about appropriate costuming options for Faires.

As for my other link, the one that points to costume pattern sources, that one contains information about patterns for achieving the FatChance look. Though it could be difficult without a sewing machine....

I very much apreciate both links. I was unaware of what would have been appropriate or unappropriate to the area...at least I'm now informed. ;)
I don't think the faire (or at least the faire goers) puts a lot into acruacy as far as non performers and other such faire workers. It's just nice to go in some form of costume, even if it's not 100% accurate.

And I will be investing in a sewing machine asap. :D

Shanazel

Shira, have you used any of the middle eastern Folkwear patterns? I am about to embark on a couple of these designs for wearable art and am always intersted to know what problems, if any, other folks have had with particular patterns. The Folkwear site lists some suggestions, but more are always welcome.

LadyLoba

I'm finding myself more and more interested in AmCab

so I dont know a lot about tribal, but there are a lot of women who do beautiful tribal costumes and makeup here....and have examples in their photo albums..so looking at pics might give you some ideas.

And this is a nice, 100% clean site, so you dont have to worry about opening anyone's album and seeing something inappropriate....all perfectly decent, and usually beautiful photos....and most of the women are friendly and open and would not mind a bit if you liked their makeup look and asked them how they did it.

Jujube

I
I don't think the faire (or at least the faire goers) puts a lot into acruacy as far as non performers and other such faire workers. It's just nice to go in some form of costume, even if it's not 100% accurate. :D

I don't want this to come across as snarky or snippy, because I'm genuinely not. However, I do have to say that wearing a tribal bellydance costume to a renfest would be 0% accurate, not just less than 100%

Really, you'd just as well go as a Klingon or a sexy nurse.

That said....some people do enter renfests with the idea of Halloween. I actually saw the Burger King at the Ohio Renaissance Festival this year. Paper crown and all.

Seraphs_Dancing

Perhaps it has more to do with my own pre-concived notions of what a bd costume should look like. It seems like a period corect costume has too much to it, if you understand what I mean.
To me it doesn't look right and it looks uncomfortable, especially since I'll be wearing it in the middle of summer. When I went last year, I dressed as a Romi; went if full traditional garb, I got heat stroke.
So it's in part pre-conceptions, in part the fact that I don't want to wear alot.

And I've seen similar at the renfaire. I don't thenk people see it as "Halloween-ish", at least not all do, but I think they see it as a way to be even more creative.

Jujube

Perhaps it has more to do with my own pre-concived notions of what a bd costume should look like. It seems like a period corect costume has too much to it, if you understand what I mean.
To me it doesn't look right and it looks uncomfortable, especially since I'll be wearing it in the middle of summer. When I went last year, I dressed as a Romi; went if full traditional garb, I got heat stroke.
So it's in part pre-conceptions, in part the fact that I don't want to wear alot.

I def understand the "too much" part, in summer. The layers under truly SCA-corect costumes can be stifling in any weather. For regular ren wear, a simple peasant dress or the like is far more pleasing to me, than all the trussing up with underskirts, skirts, overskirts, bodices, vests, etc etc.

If you want to be ren-like but not accurate, there would be options. You could do a peasant blouse (something like this Buy a Women's Renaissance Blouse for $29.99) with ren sleeves. But you could make it midriff-bearing, like a choli.

Couple that with a circle skirt that rides at the hips (rather than the waist) and you have a costume. You could embellish with a hip scarf, for that bellydance flair.

Seraphs_Dancing

Something like that could work...
I beleive I have a ren era peasent shirt pattern as well as patters for bd skirt and hip scarf.
Thanks!

Jane

I wear full mid 1500s Ottoman Turkish clothing to SCA events. It's more comfortable than it looks. Except the hats ;) because things on my head just get on my nerves.

If you are making your costume/garb out of the correct fabrics, the ensemble is very comfortable. I use linen, cotton, silk and wool.

Layers from inside to outside are:

boxers- linen- which I don't bother wearing
Pants- out of any of the above fabrics
undertunic- linen
outer wear layer 1- silk or wool
outer wear layer 2- silk or wool
sash- linen
coat- wool

Hat (not a turban!)
Shoes/boots
Socks or socks built in to the pants

I line most items with linen or silk. For physical activities (like dancing) or hot weather, the Ottomans would only wear to the first outer layer.

My philosophy is: if you're going to spend money and time on this, you may as well get it right the first time. No later regrets and an outfit that will last forever and be appropriate at Faire/SCA/living history/museums/cultural stuff

Last edited: