Would this be Ok like a more traditional look or hokey?

Nasarka

http://store02.prostores.com/bellydancersheave00/catalog/1495_1_sbl_263_1.JPG

There's a matching belt too, these are also on ebay. More for practice than I might use for doing any actual performing. I like the tassels more than showy sequines, they seem traditional to me. I thought of using copper jewelry with this, not sure about the skirt, not turquoise, something else in the patchwork colors. Brown, rust, copper, something the tassels can 'pop' out on.

I don't know, it's more 'me' than most of the costumes out there, more 'earthy' and not so 'blingy' but not like 'industrial tribal' (though I think that's pretty cool, don't think it's me).

I've thought of a blue, longer triangle scarf under the belt that has long narrow tassel fringe for a layered look.

http://www.thebellydanceshop.com/images/otherhipscarves/LCTSsmall.jpg

I've seen it other places too. What do you think?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi Narsarka welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to Dance Costumes as it is more suited to that forum.

My opinion about the bra, If you are learning tribal or fusion styles that would be fine - I personally don't like that huge tassel in the centre. The hipscarf is fine, I have seen those in different colours. If you are performing with a group you may find that the teacher or students will want to have similar costumes. Students usually wear something simple rather than expensive costumes. That can come later:D
~Mosaic

Gia al Qamar

It's a cute beginner's costume and if you like it, you should indulge!
But tassles aren't 'traditional'. Early in my performing career, I shared a booking at a restaurant with a 'tribal fusion' dancer, who wore a nice enough costume and a huge tassle belt. The mostly Middle Eastern audience was very appreciative of my set, but when the fusion dancer appeared, they laughed her off the stage...I felt terrible for her and asked the owner what was going on...in the Middle East, tassles are usually reserved for camels, not dancers...sequins DO have a tradition, since the 40s in Egyptian belly dance...

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
The mostly Middle Eastern audience was very appreciative of my set, but when the fusion dancer appeared, they laughed her off the stage...I felt terrible for her and asked the owner what was going on...in the Middle East, tassles are usually reserved for camels, not dancers...sequins DO have a tradition, since the 40s in Egyptian belly dance...

Oh the poor woman! I've learned the issue with tassels a while ago and would know not to wear them in an outfit when dancing for that particular group.

GypsyStacey

i like the bra...lol, but understand the issue with the tassles. they could be taken off the bra. the hip scarf is very cute.

however for practice it's not needed to have a 'costume' however if you love it why not get it.

Jujube

LOL That makes me wanna wear tassels even more!!! LOL

I am totally seeing an intentionally cheeky/comedic dance. Outfitted prettily in tassels, doing flat-footed hip lift kicks, camels, and earthy baladi/saidi moves. How cute would that be?

Amulya

In my opinion the bra doesn't look supportive, maybe you have to wear a bra underneath. It's a pretty color (I have a weakness for blue :)). In my experience that type of fabric falls apart pretty quickly, it comes from India and is often used for pillows, it just doesn't last.
I like the belt.

Shanazel

Welcome to the forum, Narsarka! The color and fabric of the bra are very pretty, though I suspect Amulya may be right about the sturdiness of the fabric and the lack of support. Student practice costumes embrace a wide variety of designs- if you love this one, go for it.