Your worst belly dance traits?

Amulya

I am curious what other people experiences. What kind of things you get stuck in or habits you can't get rid of or just something completely different.

My worst ennemy is 'automatic pilot dancing'. Oh how I hate that and how easy it is to slip into that!

I tend to slip into a dancing style I don't want anymore, but it's the one I first learned: classic Egyptian. Nothing wrong with that, but I much more prefer modern Egyptian as it's more challenging, and tribaret as well.
So classic Egytian is my automatic pilot mode and I tend to get 'sloppy arms' (elbows downwards) and everything gets more simple.

Freezing, another bad one, where suddenly a dancer's block pops up, always during gigs of course when sudden stage freight sets in. Grrrrr!!!!

And looking down, working on that, but I always end up with horrible stages with wires lying around or those ones that are composed of multible elements that can suddely gap. So you have to look down in order not to have an accident (I am highly accident prone!)

Asking to change the stage is not possible, because they often have bands there as well and can't quickly remove it all.

khanjar

Mine, as always; self confidence !

Even last night at a women only dance party I point blank refused to dance in front of others, despite friends doing their best to get me up there saying stuff like I can dance well in class so there should be no problem.

Even towards the end I was kind of weakening but failed again, when the dance teacher asked me to dance to saidi with her. She accepts I am just not ready yet, more to the point as I was driving, I wasn't drinking, so no Dutch courage.

But today I kick myself for the usual lack of confidence for it was a fantastic evening and I just could not do it, again !

So I ask myself what is it, what is my problem, it's not a technique thing, because everyone else that was having a go was messing up that was obvious, but they had the confidence to get up there and do it.

So why I cannot, I just don't know and alcohol is not the answer and as it is with that I am trying to remove my dependence on it for courage, as if I can do something on alcohol, then I should be able to do it off it, but it is that transition thing I think.

But shy perhaps, will have keep working on this, as I know, get over it and not only will my confidence in dancing improve, but it will improve in other areas of my life too, and it needs to.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Well, I wouldn't want to overflow the server with my "worst" list; but not smiling, stupid facials, bad arms/hands, defaulting to Maias, not projecting, and repeat-itis are on the list!

Shanazel

Failure to maintain good upper body posture. Even after all these years I have a tendency to let my chest drop and my shoulders sag. :(

Duvet

Mine, as always; self confidence !

Even last night at a women only dance party I point blank refused to dance in front of others, despite friends doing their best to get me up there saying stuff like I can dance well in class so there should be no problem.

Even towards the end I was kind of weakening but failed again, when the dance teacher asked me to dance to saidi with her. She accepts I am just not ready yet, more to the point as I was driving, I wasn't drinking, so no Dutch courage.

But today I kick myself for the usual lack of confidence for it was a fantastic evening and I just could not do it, again !

So I ask myself what is it, what is my problem, it's not a technique thing, because everyone else that was having a go was messing up that was obvious, but they had the confidence to get up there and do it.

So why I cannot, I just don't know and alcohol is not the answer and as it is with that I am trying to remove my dependence on it for courage, as if I can do something on alcohol, then I should be able to do it off it, but it is that transition thing I think.

But shy perhaps, will have keep working on this, as I know, get over it and not only will my confidence in dancing improve, but it will improve in other areas of my life too, and it needs to.

Been there, Khanjar, so many times. Alcohol definately not the answer. You are. The only thing to do is to get up and do it. You will feel daft and stupid, judged and found wanting, but people are a lot more forgiving, and notice a lot less than you might think, and you're probably way better than you appreciate yourself. And you get used to it and then find you don't notice it. Sitting there, watching them, can be as embaressing and disheartening for them as it is for you. Do them and yourself a favour next time, and join in! :)

My worst traits? - not smiling (I'm smiling on the inside, okay - this IS my happy face), furrowed brow (and I got a lot of brow to furrow:D!), hiding at the back (not easy, but I can be determined at times), traffic-police hands (stop; move along; turn around), not presenting an elegant and graceful final bow (I just want to get off, you've had your fun, and I'm not doing a revron). There are others.

LilithNoor

Most noticeable for me is poor camel technique, a utter inability to turn in the right direction when following a choreography, and sticking my bottom out!

Sophia Maria

The one thing I'm trying to change more than anything about my dancing are my shimmies. Even just a basic Egyptian shimmy. I just can't relax into it, which is what you need to do--you need to let go. I've watched video of my performance, and what happens is I get tense and clench my abdominal muscles, then remember to relax, then tense up again...:(

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
The one thing I'm trying to change more than anything about my dancing are my shimmies. Even just a basic Egyptian shimmy. I just can't relax into it, which is what you need to do--you need to let go. I've watched video of my performance, and what happens is I get tense and clench my abdominal muscles, then remember to relax, then tense up again...:(
I could have written this - my 'basic' shimmies are still problematic. I can do 2 or 3 kinds of 3/4 shimmies all day long, but the 'regular' shimmy continues to be sub-optimal. Oh, its gradually improved over the years, but its still a challenge, especially if I'm 'cold' - much easier if I've been dancing for a bit...

Darshiva

Lack of grace. When I'm performing I tend to be so worried about entertaining the audience, making sure my moves are right, etc that I don't come off anywhere near as graceful as I do when I'm practicing. :(

Jane

Extensive list off the top of my head :(

Over tucking my pelvis, not keeping my mouth open a little, kicking my feet too much, not having my weight in the correct place some of the time, keeping my ankles straight, and conscious breath control defeats me entirely.

It's basically a lifetime of work.

Aniseteph

Not keeping ribcage lifted, looking down too much, balance issues usually caused by taking too big steps, shimmy issues though I think this is improving slightly if slowly. Lately I have to fight the urge to sing/count along with what I'm doing.

Minimal belief in own abilities. :(

Pleasant dancer

Mine is easy: I'm lazy. I don't actually practice enough. I dance all the time, e.g. teaching (so probably my posture gets worked on all the time) but I seem to never get around to dancing for me - choreographing for me (and not my students). I know I would be so much better if I did some more practice.
I'm ashamed - I tell my students to practice all the time. :naghty:

I need motivating. (or a kick up the butt!) ;)

Jane

Yeah, the looking down thing and my arms aren't what they should be either. Good gravy this is depressing.

Greek Bonfire

I still have to remember to "dance" with my face! Also, learning to wait for the music and sort of come behind the beat more. I know what's coming and usually want to do it just before the music "says" it first.

SidraK

Due to some old injuries, my hips are slightly mis-aligned, so if I'm not paying close attention I pull to the right when I do an Egyptian shimmy....sometimes to the point that I'll notice I'm only actually shimmying with my right leg! I also tend to default to the same 4 or 5 movements when I do improv, which makes it painfully repetitive.