A step too far?

I would just like a better understanding of why your company thinks the term "belly dance" is even applies to what you are presenting.

To be honest it didn't occur to choose anything else, we are a Tribal Troupe and asked to do a burlesque type performance from belly dance. I just thought "Tribal Belly Dance Burlesque Style Dance" was very long and shortened it to Burlesque Belly Dance.
I have returned to the original posting and removed the word Belly. I only used the word once, but it was enough, it seems. Its not even on the poster I originally created.
It seem the pen is mightier,
I don't mind not using the term belly dance, just didn't think it would cause such a hornets nest of reactions.

Aisha Azar

!!

To be honest it didn't occur to choose anything else, we are a Tribal Troupe and asked to do a burlesque type performance from belly dance. I just thought "Tribal Belly Dance Burlesque Style Dance" was very long and shortened it to Burlesque Belly Dance.
I have returned to the original posting and removed the word Belly. I only used the word once, but it was enough, it seems. Its not even on the poster I originally created.
It seem the pen is mightier,
I don't mind not using the term belly dance, just didn't think it would cause such a hornets nest of reactions.

Dear Malta,
I am off to give you REP for caring enough about belly dance and what you are presenting to give an honest description of what you are doing, and caring in the first place to do right by the dance. I have immense respect for you right now because you have made a tough decision!
With most sincere regards,
A'isha

The news item quoted these guys.
The Christmas Company: Greater Manchester Christmas Parties, Party at the Pyramids

You get a "professional team of belly dancers and fire eaters ". Legally you can't fault it, thay may well be a professional team...

... but maybe not of belly dancers. They just look like show-type dancers shaking it and doing a distressing amount of walk like an Egyptian arms.

Don't worry its not confined to the UK, Why do these companies, venues, when spending money for dancers, not get "real" belly dancers in, even for a few training sessions, or to teach a choreography? People go to watch theses shows and walk away thinking what they have seen is "real" belly dance.
When I first came to Malta and people asked what I did and I explained that I am a "belly dancer" they would say, Oh we have a great show here that has really good "belly dancers". And so I went to see this show, its mostly for tourists and to be honest it wasn't a bad overall production, as it tells the story of the Arab invasion of Malta, in songs and dance. But oh the " belly dancers"

A tourist even put up a clip on YouTube entitled "Maltese belly dancers in Malta":think:

"Saw this great live show in Malta. This is one of my favourite bits. The show is called Knights Spectacular 1565 "

lizaj

Don't worry its not confined to the UK, Why do these companies, venues, when spending money for dancers, not get "real" belly dancers in, even for a few training sessions, or to teach a choreography? People go to watch theses shows and walk away thinking what they have seen is "real" belly dance.
When I first came to Malta and people asked what I did and I explained that I am a "belly dancer" they would say, Oh we have a great show here that has really good "belly dancers". And so I went to see this show, its mostly for tourists and to be honest it wasn't a bad overall production, as it tells the story of the Arab invasion of Malta, in songs and dance. But oh the " belly dancers"

A tourist even put up a clip on YouTube entitled "Maltese belly dancers in Malta":think:

mmmm a whole new aspect to my study of 16th century Meditteranean and it's relationship with the world of Islam.:rolleyes: