New song from Turkey!

walladah

Hello my friends!

I suppose you learned about the uprising in Turkey and the brutal response by the turkish authorities.

One of my favourite turkish bands, composed a song especially for the occasion and i think it is bellydanceable, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-kbuS-anD4

[penguins at the end are a joke for the CNN turk who preferred to broadcast penguin documentaries on May 31st instead of reports from the streets of turkish cities where people were demonstrating]

Moreover, do you think that a solidarity choreography based on this song would be a bad idea?

Women are facing severe suppression in turkey these days, last summer abortions were banned in turkey, even for cases of rape, and this is how women are so numerous in the demonstrations.

:think:

Munniko

Oh my gosh this song is really awesome! Thank you for sharing, I just put it up on facebook. I just wish there was a way that I could buy this and support the artist further. Maybe my google-fu just is horrid because I can't find one.

Kashmir

Personally I'd stay away from belly dancing to anything political. Many reasons. Not only do I feel it doesn't fit, unless you are fluent in language and culture you can totally miss the context and meaning.

Interestingly, my Turkish Lit lecture got totally sidelined today as we discussed the current situation (the lecturer is a Kiwi who speaks Turkish & Greek and spent several years working in Northen Cyprus). Nothing is simple.

walladah

I think this song is not sold, not at least at the moment! This is for the movement!
KARDES TURKULER you may search for other songs of Kardes Turkuler and if you like them, you can buy those! THey are one of the best bands in Turkey. And many of their songs are bellydanceable (for ATS and fusion as well). You may find their songs on youtube, if you use the band name and/or the song titles...

As for bellydancing with political songs, i think that it depends how you treat the song itself. Many traditional songs and many songs who are similar to traditional are political in Greece and Turkey and we dance to them within social or community context. In times of dictatorship that was the only way to demonstrate, as it was illegal to participate in a march in the streets against the government.
Bellydancers avoid them, because they do not want to be mixed in politics, not because the songs cannot be bellydanced. Personally, i would dance this song, i am not sure with what costume, but i would!

Last edited:

Munniko

I know it isn't for sale I just wish I could buy it to support the movement. I also agree with Kashmir after listening to it a couple more times. While the idea sounds really really awesome it might be interpreted differently than a show of support. I don't know many people get pretty uppity if they don't think you are "part of the cause" kind of like that topic "interesting blog" where they aren't really giving others a chance, but condemning because they aren't part of the "it crowd".

At least that is my interpretation and I always err very far onto the of caution when it comes to making political statements or doing something culturally sensitive. It is my old task of a study abroad adviser showing it's ugly head.

walladah

I know it isn't for sale I just wish I could buy it to support the movement. I also agree with Kashmir after listening to it a couple more times. While the idea sounds really really awesome it might be interpreted differently than a show of support. I don't know many people get pretty uppity if they don't think you are "part of the cause" kind of like that topic "interesting blog" where they aren't really giving others a chance, but condemning because they aren't part of the "it crowd".

At least that is my interpretation and I always err very far onto the of caution when it comes to making political statements or doing something culturally sensitive. It is my old task of a study abroad adviser showing it's ugly head.

I completely understand your and Kashmir's point! maybe we could wait, until our turkish friends have some time to discuss what it would look like if we bellydanced this song... i do not dare to ask such questions now, they are so in the streets receiving tear gas and pressure-water...