Beautiful costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gisela

Super Moderator
Oh Wow Mya, that is so perfect! You look absolutely gorgeous. Oh, and the costume is nice too... ;)

Amulya

I like this.

They are very nice, but I found out that you can't get exact matching bra and belt pieces. Not even from the whole seller. So you got to choose a set that matches as best as possible.
Another thing: they are pretty heavy! But they are really nice.

Shanazel

One of my students back in the 1980s made a coin belt and bra using United States pennies. The coins all matched and it weighed a TON. She finally sold it for a pretty penny- and no, it is not illegal to make jewelry out of US currency.

bekidancer

But the fabric I am looking at making it out of is a soft rose, broze, brown varigation. I'll post a photo of the fabric when I get home. Thoughts?

Robynne

Just joined and saw this post. It reminded me of one of my faves from a while back. If you haven't made it yet, this might be an easy solution with the same sort of elegant look.

Mya

I like this.

Hey - i have that! in silver and instead of coins, it's only medallions and bells, but the medallions are mirrored and it catches the light beautifully - same design though. They sell the version i have on dahlal.

I haven't used it yet because i don't know how to construct a bra that i can cover (i don't want to use a lingerie bra as is - i'm top heavy and in constant fear of costume mishaps. I'm also not sure what kind of skirt will look best with the belt. straight skirts don't look so great on me because my hips are so darn gigantic and i think i need something flat so that the drape of the belt will show - any suggestions?

Amulya

For a skirt, what about a velvet trumpet skirt? I think that would look really nice. For the bra you could try to construct one by buying a heavy duty padded bra and line it with buckram on the inside. That works quite well. Or maybe you can find a ready made bra base.

Mya

Thanks for the suggestion Amulya - i'm still worried about skirts that are fitted around my hips because they're so big that i look kind of silly and since i'm so short, there mightn't be much distance between the fitted part and the flare, which mightn't carry the style well.

I'll try the bra though, but i'm very worried about the bra straps, any ideas on how to reinforce those?

N.B i am NOT handy with a needle and thread.

Marya

Thanks for the suggestion Amulya - i'm still worried about skirts that are fitted around my hips because they're so big that i look kind of silly and since i'm so short, there mightn't be much distance between the fitted part and the flare, which mightn't carry the style well.

I'll try the bra though, but i'm very worried about the bra straps, any ideas on how to reinforce those?

Mya,

One other idea for being able to use a coin belt is to use a shawl or plain hip wrap underneath and use a plain circle skirt, or even shalvar (harem pants) That is usually what I do when I want to wear my coin belt. It is a somewhat tribally-fusion, Bal Anant look (created by Jamilia Salimpour).

I also, at one time during the winter holiday season, found a velvet bra that was suitable as it was for attaching coins. Never seen one like it again though. but a coin bra cover could also be used over a choli, under which you could wear a regular bra, if you had a solid back type choli. it could be attached to the choli only when you want to use it. It would have to be pinned securely to your bra though, and if it is really heavy this might not work.

Marya

Amulya

In that case you'd better find another type of skirt, but there are many options I think.

For bra straps: I just take them off and replace them with straps I make out of heavy duty cotton covered with fabric. Works fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.