Boombox or Portable Stereo?

haleynicole

I bet there's at least a few of you here who share my frustration, :mad:and I hope a few more who can give a recommendation.:pray:

I teach all over, every day, and some of the facilities I use (like for city parks and rec programs) supply, a beautiful, cavernous facility, but do not supply a music system.
So I lug a boombox around, to classes, to rehearsals, to "bellygrams" and it is perpetually knocked around in the trunk of my car.
I don't mind hauling the thing, what I mind is that I can't find one that is worthy of my classes, my customers, or my carefully chosen music!

I have had serious money burning a hole in my pocket for a new, high quality, loud portable stereo that can fill a space, shake the walls, and provide a quality of sound that will fill my dancers bodies the need to dance with wild abandon, but I can't find anything good. I even considered the $bose system, knowing that I would have to cover it in the back seat and treat it with kid gloves, but read too many angry reviews.

Has there been a serious lack of innovation in this department, or am I not looking in the right places.

I feel bad taking this crappy thing everywhere, and would so gladly buy a new one if it would only be worth it!

Are you with me ladies?

What do you use? What do you suggest?

Help me:(

karena

The title of this thread made me think I had regressed to the 80s! :lol:

Why don't you try an ipod and an amp? I recently had a party where I hired a band, and in the 'disco' sections we just plugged our ipod into their amp. We could have made that seriously loud.

Kharis

Why don't you try an ipod and an amp? I recently had a party where I hired a band, and in the 'disco' sections we just plugged our ipod into their amp. We could have made that seriously loud.

I find an iPod not ideal in a class situation, as I need to be able to see at a glance what I'm looking for rather than scrolling down through the ipod. Also, I haven't the time to spend hours and hours tranferring the data. It is hard to find a good portable player, they don't seem to make them anymore. I use a midi stereo and carry it around in a wheelie suitcase.

karena

I suppose it depends what you're used to. I'm probably cross over generation, in my yoof I had vinyl, then CDs and now digital, PCs weren't around when I was born.

But I really can't see how it is easier to use CDs than an ipod. You find the physical CD or you find the virtual CD in the ipod, seems the same to me. You could make a mix CD so you have all the tracks you want on one, you could make playlist on an ipod. A cd player tells you the track number you are playing, the ipod tells you the track number, title, artist and album. You need to know what tracks are coming up, you pick up the CD case or press a button on the ipod. Am I missing something?

Re the transferring of CDs, for a long time I didn't realise that itunes finds the track names for you when you import a CD (I used to sit there manually typing them in :shok:). It uses a database called gracenote, and it does have BD music on there, it somehow knows what CD you have. So unless the music is all on pirated CDs, then it takes a couple of mins to import a CD including all the track listings. Then plug in the ipod set to autosync and that's minutes too.

I should imagine the reason these things aren't made anymore is cos it is considered out of date technology, so that probably won't change...

haleynicole

The title made you regress to the 80s? And yet you reference your disco sections?:lol:

Well, I'm not such an old bird, but I do remember the 80s, and heard about the 70s from my oldest brother. I admit I have not kept abreast of the latest tech.
in seriousness, thanks, good suggestion!

I would consider that -have not gotten an ipod for certainainty that I would lose it immediately.
and I already have a case full of costumes, props, paraphernelia, so an amp...uh. But, a little one may take up the same space as my cds -maybe I can steal the hunny's guitar amp :dance:

is that what you do for your classes too?

haleynicole

I suppose it depends what you're used to. I'm probably cross over generation, in my yoof I had vinyl, then CDs and now digital, PCs weren't around when I was born.

But I really can't see how it is easier to use CDs than an ipod. You find the physical CD or you find the virtual CD in the ipod, seems the same to me. You could make a mix CD so you have all the tracks you want on one, you could make playlist on an ipod. A cd player tells you the track number you are playing, the ipod tells you the track number, title, artist and album. You need to know what tracks are coming up, you pick up the CD case or press a button on the ipod. Am I missing something?

Re the transferring of CDs, for a long time I didn't realise that itunes finds the track names for you when you import a CD (I used to sit there manually typing them in :shok:). It uses a database called gracenote, and it does have BD music on there, it somehow knows what CD you have. So unless the music is all on pirated CDs, then it takes a couple of mins to import a CD including all the track listings. Then plug in the ipod set to autosync and that's minutes too.

I should imagine the reason these things aren't made anymore is cos it is considered out of date technology, so that probably won't change...

"in your Yoof" lol, I love it.:D

Its not so much a cd to ipod problem...its a delivery system problem. I could figure out an ipod...I'm talking to you right now, right ;-)

I've looked at different systems that had cd, mp3, cassette, but none had sound and portability and a semi hard shell for frequesnt transporting.
In other words: They play mp3, and are still called boomboxes, and they still suck.
I think the amp and ipod are the best idea so far...

haleynicole

is it a midi or did you mean a mini? I've seen other instructors with actual stero systems
in suitcases, but I want a little convenience. Some of my classes are just an hour, and I have to run right after.

karena

The title made you regress to the 80s? And yet you reference your disco sections?:lol:

And it was both 70s and 80s disco! Rock on :lol: (where's the heavy metal horns finger thing smiley?!)

and I already have a case full of costumes, props, paraphernelia, so an amp...uh. But, a little one may take up the same space as my cds -maybe I can steal the hunny's guitar amp :dance:

is that what you do for your classes too?

I think little amps can still be pretty powerful, so yes nick the guitar amp! My husband's amp is not much bigger that a CD player and CDs.

I'm not a BD teacher to don't need to do anything for my classes :dance:. I think in my classes most have built in systems, other events I have seen ipod docking things, and CD players.

My digital radio has an inlet I can play my ipod through that I did once take to an event I needed to music for, as it goes pretty loud. So that's another idea.

I am loving that they are still called boomboxes. I have just recalled that here we called them ghetto blasters. I never actually thought about the words, but now that is so dated! :lol: I can't believe we actually called them that. (I was also trying to find you a very funny clip from a British comedy programme with a boombox/ghetto blaster. I can find it on you tube but it won't let me access it due to country copyright stuff. Maybe you can see it over there? Search for Dom Joly hiking ghetto blaster - or ignore me and spend your time in more productive ways ;))

Marya

I bet there's at least a few of you here who share my frustration, :mad:and I hope a few more who can give a recommendation.:pray:

I teach all over, every day, and some of the facilities I use (like for city parks and rec programs) supply, a beautiful, cavernous facility, but do not supply a music system.

I have had serious money burning a hole in my pocket for a new, high quality, loud portable stereo that can fill a space, shake the walls, and provide a quality of sound that will fill my dancers bodies the need to dance with wild abandon, but I can't find anything good. I even considered the $bose system, knowing that I would have to cover it in the back seat and treat it with kid gloves, but read too many angry reviews.

What do you use? What do you suggest?

Help me:(

Hmmm, has Bose suffered a decline in quality?

I purchased one about 5 years ago and have been very happy with it. I purchased one like this one:
Acoustic Wave Music System II - Wave Systems - Bose Bookshelf Stereo Sound Systems and Table Top Music Systems

and you can plug your ipod into it. or even a cassette player.

I have a carrying case for it too which is nice for hauling it around.

The smaller ones are not nearly as good.

Marya

Last edited:

Marya

I find an iPod not ideal in a class situation, as I need to be able to see at a glance what I'm looking for rather than scrolling down through the ipod. Also, I haven't the time to spend hours and hours tranferring the data. It is hard to find a good portable player, they don't seem to make them anymore. I use a midi stereo and carry it around in a wheelie suitcase.

I have seen ipods used successfully in classes, They were plugged into amps that looked like antiques or into special speakers just for ipods and both seemed to work well. But since I am a very visual person, I can look at a CD cover and remember all the songs on it that I want to use, the ipods I have seen only give you tiny words, which even with my reading glasses I have a hard time reading, do they have a large print ipod yet? LOL.

I have an ipod on my list of things to get and I already have a lot of music on my itunes, need to upgrade the computer first. Guess I will have to get stronger reading glasses LOL.

Marya

Reen.Blom

Hey Karena, you forgot to mention TAPES(cassetss), I had lots of those, but hey i was so far behind that i skipped the cds altogether and only use digital.

Oh and by the way, haleynicole you dont have to buy an IPOD, there are plenty of mp3 players on the market, i personally refuse to pay for the brand... LOL I step down to sony or panasonic, or phillips... hehehe, not to mention the cheaper brands to get you started.

I use mine with small portable speakers for room ambiance, but wait, the guitar amp could knock your socks off! You actually could get a small guitar amp( see if there is a second hand one, like Roland micro Cube, or Vox DA5) they are made to be dragged around, and roar quite loudly... So give hubby's amp a try before you discard the idea altogether!

gisela

Super Moderator
at least two of my teachers have one of these. Not so pretty but seems to play loud enough.

It's called JVC Kaboom cd/mp3 portable etc etc :lol:

Marya

at least two of my teachers have one of these. Not so pretty but seems to play loud enough.

It's called JVC Kaboom cd/mp3 portable etc etc :lol:

I witnessed a Kaboom box in a school gymnasium full of people at a big annual student recital/hafla, it was lousy.

I think if you were in a smaller space it would be ok.

Marya

karena

Hey Karena, you forgot to mention TAPES(cassetss), I had lots of those, but hey i was so far behind that i skipped the cds altogether and only use digital.

Oh yes, mix tapes. The ultimate gift from boy/girlfriend to boy/girlfriend. And don't forget mini discs, I thought they were the future :lol: