Dancewear for teachers

Shanazel

Okay, boys and girls, I am officially 93 pounds lighter than I was two and a half ears ago and none of my teacher garbs fit properly any more (YAY!!!) So a question: what is new, fashionable, and yet appropriate for a 57 year old teacher?

Warning: do not suggest anything with support hose or I will hit you with my assaya. :naghty:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I just wear pants mainly from the Marika range (Yoga pants) they are great don't lose their shape and are really comfortable & I also have a 3 pairs of lace insert split leg style with overskirts - red, purple & black lace ( see pics below). I also wear plain coloured spandex type T/shirts or tank tops (in summer) & a hip belt ( the type depends on my mood or fancy on the day:D)

The tank tops and Tees I have in every colour imaginable & the pants also have a variety of waistband colours:D Some of my T/shirts have Belly Dance sparklies on them ( those ones are iron on sparklies that you can get made up for that purpose with whatever you want.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Ooooooo, I want the ones with lace. How does the sizing run?
The sizing is small, I had 3 pairs made for me (I wrote to the ebay seller and asked if they could make them for me. They would only make them if I purchased 3 pairs (cost $29 each plus $15 postage for the 3 pairs, so not expensive - well worth it for a basic seamstress like me and the cost of fabric here is totally ridiculous)) - they didn't have to try very hard at twisting my arm on that one:lol: With you being a seamstress, I think you could make them as the pants are a basic pant with the wide full flares, and a double layer skirt attached. The lace inserts are triangle shaped. I used the idea of lace inserts to jazz up a pair of Dahlal split leg flares. Dahlal has a lace insert style but they don't have the over skirt. Check out Sharifwear pants they do have some nice ones. I do have a couple of pairs but they are a bit big so I don't wear them much these days. I also have the Dahlal Unitard with the 3/4 sleeve forgot to mention those:D
https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=7&s1=1306&s2=0 the Alexandria style.
~Mosaic

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Seconding those lace pants coming up small - a classmate has some and IIRC a UK size 16 was something like XXXL. :shok: :rolleyes:.

The China-based ones on eBay are mostly "one size" (tiny) but when I looked at them I did find a couple of UK stockists with bigger sizes and still very cheap, so I guess some sellers out there must have the brains to commission some larger sizes. There are matching lace tops too, same issues.

Congrats on the weight loss!

shiradotnet

I like the Phoenix Rising pants: Phoenix Rising Designs: Phoenix Rising Pants

I have a wardrobe of L Rose Designs tank tops in twilight velvet, crushed velvet, and tie-dye velvet. They are custom-made to YOUR size. Their default design comes just below the waist, but I prefer a hip-length top so I just specify how long I want the side seam to be from the underarm to the bottom edge and that way I get the length I want: L. Rose Designs - Online Catalog

If you like rhinestones, you can get a top made that says "Bellydancer" in rhinestones in your choice of colors and shirt styles here: Belly dancer Rhinestone T Shirt

Bali Dog has some cute pants: http://www.balidog.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=43

Sugar Petals unitards are always great because of their mesh midriff: http://sugarpetals.com/unitards.asp

Last edited:

Shanazel

Nice outfit on the video; I'm not sure I have the nerve to appear in calf length leggings, though. Nice video, too.

I have a Dahlal 3/4 sleeve leotard with bells that I love and might replace (maybe I'll get REAL brave and buy something other than black). I also have some leotards from Sugar Petals that I will sell (too tight in the chest).

Thanks for the L.Rose tip. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd like to have the size right.

My favorite is Mosaic's red and black lace pants with over skirt. Can't do the sleeveless tops, though: someone stole my firm upper arms one night and replaced them with old lady batwings.

Thanks for a great bunch of suggestions!

Shanazel

I love the cold shoulder style leotards but cannot wear a halter neck, alas. My too-large style is the plain black 3/4 length sleeve flare legs; I'm thinking of trying one of the double colored ones this time.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I love the cold shoulder style leotards but cannot wear a halter neck, alas. My too-large style is the plain black 3/4 length sleeve flare legs; I'm thinking of trying one of the double colored ones this time.
I like the double coloured ones too -

I like at least a short sleeve these days on my tops because the batwing fairy visited me one night as well:( and no amount of weights/pushups/whatever has returned my upper arms to their former dainty firmness, so sleeves hide that little bit of sin. On really hot & I mean really hot I dig out the brave face and wear tank tops and if the brave face falters I have a couple of lacy short sleeve tie front tops I wear to create an "illusion".
~Mosaic