Did we managed our 2007 goals? what for 2008?

Maria_Aya

Hi all :)
In the begining of each year we set goals for next year, and we promise things to do.
Usualy we forget after a week lol, but we are bellynuts and what we set for bellydance usual we accomplish.

So what was your goals for 2007?
Did you achive them?
And what are your new goals for 2008 regarding bellydance?

Maria Aya :)

Maria_Aya

2007 bellydance goals

To go to each NileGroup Festival of the year (done)
To lose weight (went up and down 7 kilos, errrrrrrrrr nope)
To design me own costumes and make them (yep yep yep)
To have a theatre show (well had 3 YESSSSSSSSSS)
To read each day 2-3 hours for oriental dance (done)
To start learning serious, arabic language (nope :()
To learn playing zills good (working on it)
To learn as much as possible Reda compinations (done and continuing)
To be more open to other bellydance styles beside arabic (almost there lol)
To be more communicating when dancing (working on it, still esoterical)

And an unexpected goal:
Call it faith, but i realized a dream of many years, opened my own Dance & theatre studio :D

For 2008:
Loose weight
Learn arabic
4 shows already sceduled
To be more accurate to my dates and to fix my timing problem
To clear up and do the things i've promised to do to others and i cant till now because of time and forgeting :(
Work more on drum solos
Work more with live bands
Finish the book i'm writing
Try to find time to visit the bellydance community events
Dont be so much addicted to orientaldancer (joking, i love my addiction lol)
Keep contact with bellydance friends from all over the world.
and many more that now cant remember

Kisses to all and have a great year
Maria Aya:D

Moon

I forgot my 2007 goals, probably didn't have any, so here's for 2008:

- Practice dance more often at home.
- Don't get to 4000 posts during next year.
- Practice zills.
- Go to Oriental Magic 2008 and meet Yshka there LOL!
- Try to not get upset when fellow students seem to like Shakira songs better than beautiful "classical" Egyptian songs.
- Try to learn and recognise Oriental rhythms.
- Find a better place to store bellydance stuff.

Well that's it for now.

Sara

Hey, you've got some well good resolutions!

Mine for dance and health stuff are:-

-Master deep backbend
-Finally do the forward splits
-Lose weight
-Go to the gym 3 times a week (at uni with ma mate)
-Improve floorwork
-Improve arms
-Improve Zills

:think: Doubt i'll do it. Cause I dint last year :( Had a very lazy year, lol.

Zurah

I resolved not to make any New Year resolutions quite a long time ago, since I decided they're rather a waste of energy. But last year I decided I'd start studying Japanese again (which I'd taken up and then pretty much abandoned when the course was over), even if it was just a couple hours a week at home, and I did (the fact that later in the year the local language school offered a course for my level was of much help as well), so in light of this success I decided to make this resolution again. I'm also considering getting a good software for starting to learn the basics of Arabic - I seem to remember someone in the forum mentioning that last year, so... suggestions for good courses?

Shanazel

I once again resolve to not wear a Valkerie-like metal breastplate while singing Wagner on a mountaintop in an electric storm. That's always a good resolution- I have kept it for almost forty years.

Belly dance resolutions? To give teaching one more year before retiring. To make a proper baladi dress. To meet with Kharmine and other friends at Maatam Fez in Denver.

adiemus

I was going to go to the gym 3 times a week - and that has slipped, but instead I started to bellydance, and I practice 30 minutes every day (even if it's not good dancing!!).
I wanted to lose weight - I ended up getting diabetes so that one's already happening!
I wanted to start my PhD - that one's on the way, but I got post concussion syndrome, so I haven't got as far as I'd like...
But overall I'm pretty happy with my 2007 given that I got the concussion!
2008 I'd like to keep eating healthily, relax in body and mind, keep practicing the dance!! and one day it may even pay off!!
In bellydance I'd like to go to one workshop, do one performance, and do at least one choreography that I'm pleased with for my level of learning.
And I would like to learn more about the origins of bellydance, and where it is progressing - and how to become more aware of the subtle differences between different styles of the dance.

Yshka

Your new years resolutions sound good. I used to be quite lazy in keeping them but something has changed over the past few years. I've stuck to my goals for 2007 amazingly well:think:.

- Loose weight, changing eating habits healthily and tone up. (started happening at the end of 2006, now lost 15 kg's, looking better and more toned, doing bellydance fitness also and eating well)
- Wanted to dance more and practise more. (done, went from 6 to 9 to now 10,5 hours of classes a week, in 3 hrs of which I teach beginners myself under guidance of my teacher)
- Starting to learn how to teach (in progress)
- Enter dance project at Eindhoven Arts Centre (done so successfully, learning a lot about myself and my dancing in the process)
- Meet Orit :cool::cool::cool: - speaks for itself lol.
- Switch uni studies (switched but motivation hasn't entirely returned)
- Attend more dance workshops (didn't work out due to being too busy with everything else going on:()
- Being more involved with my teacher and her dance school (done, though I will continue to support her and work for her and hopefully make her proud and successfull:D)
- Meet other forummembers (I met Moon twice and met Yasmina at Orit workshops!! none of the others yet but I hope to real soon).
- Learning more about Oriental dancing and studying to my fullest capacity. Maybe performing more (busy with all this, but it never ends:cool:)
- getting drivers license and a place of my own (not done yet, my priorities were elsewhere (dancerelated lol).
- being a good person, good friend and student. Staying true to myself and others. (always, ongoing thing again though)

On my list for 2008 are:

- keeping up the healthy lifestyle (not loosing anymore weight though)
- find a place of my own.
- get my drivers license.
- retreiving motivation to start fresh at university.
- attending more dance workshops and at least one or two festivals.
- practising more and continuing to be a good orientaldance student.
- increasing forumtime and hopefully meeting you guys in person!!
- be a good person, being truthful to myself and my principles.

Best newyear's wishes to all of you!! May your wishes come true and goals for the next year be achieved.

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
I once again resolve to not wear a Valkerie-like metal breastplate while singing Wagner on a mountaintop in an electric storm. That's always a good resolution- I have kept it for almost forty years.

Well Done Shanazel! It is so hard NOT to fall back into the old valkyrie/wagner-trap again. Keep it up girl!

-I will work more on my dancing and aim for some performance opportunities in spring.
-I want to loose the weight I've gained this year.
-Complete my own choreography/ structured improv and work on some more until I get something good enough to perform with in springtime( in my new unused costume that I grew out of at once after I bought it.:()
-Go to Cairo. I think I wil have to wait until next (2009) year though.
-At least go to stockholm bellydance festival and get taught by dancers from Egypt.
-Go to Lubna Emam workshop in Copenhagen.

Yay these are almost only fun things! (apart from losing the weight which will be fun after I have done it) The big trick is to get the money to do all these things, but I just got a small grant a few days ago that will help with some of it.
2007 has been a hectic but mostly good year. I finished university, found love, got an six-weeks artist in residence which includes at least two exhibitions and got a grant. I hadn't made plans or promises so most of it was unexpected, apart from finishing my education. However this year ends very sad for me since my dearly beloved grandmother passed away two days ago. Christmas is not really the same this time and a lot of tears has been running down my cheeks. She was already proud of me and I intend to keep making her proud in the next year. If I fail all my other foresets, I will keep this one.

Yshka

Ooh yes, very nice goals. I would also love to be taught by some native teachers, either Lebanese or Egyptian style. There's also some old choreographies I once made but have deteriorated a bit. I'm wanting to build them up again and keep them in my repertoire. Lately I was mostly doing (half, or entire) improv, and though I like it, I dont want to let my old choreo's slip either. I want to go see Israeli dancer Asi Haskal in Spain in spring, which I think is a goal I will definitely achieve:cool:.

I;m so sorry to hear about your grandmother though. I think after all you've achieved she definitely will continue to be proud of you, watching down on you with a smile. I'm positive you will keep making her proud! My thoughts this christmas will go out to you. I'll light up an extra candle for you both when I'm at the church tomorrow. Best wishes and hoping you'll be alright,
Yshka

Last edited:

Yshka

Darn, I did!! How could I? I've found her to be a very nice person and beautiful dancer. Now hold on while I edit my post to include her :).

Safran

Great thread Maria! Maybe our resolutions will be more solid when we actually make them public... :lol:

I figured my dance-related resolutions would be the following...
- go to the Nile Group in April (which we've planned sooo long so it better not fail!)
- get myself a nice dress while in Egypt (getting a tad tired of my two-piece costumes)
- learn the Arabic rhythms the way that I will not only recognize them but also could recall their names (mission impossible so far)
- find my zills (yep, I've lost them again) and practice them a lot more
- do more pilates
- and practice my dancing more in general

Yshka, I'm planning to work on my driving licence this summer too... want to form a support group? :)

Maria, youre writing a book? What will it be on exactly? Will it be in Greek?

Gisela, my condolences...

Lydia

2007 things i did all what i was planning only ..1 left out
I wanted to finish my home in Egypt its build ,but no finishing yet inside
ITS A BIIG job so if i can do that in 2008 that will be great.cool so everybody can stay with me when visiting Egypt LOL !
i still want to cut down on shows in 2008 that is realy diificult because the custumers .....but i want to spend more time with my family .So i will try hard
Than i want to teach more!! but it will be other hours than performing so i can spend more time with family....Beside that i dont want to plan to much i am happy if i can keep this 2 big plans .......and perhaps i can visit Maria what i hade already promised a year ago!! you see that is way i dont make my list to long ...LOL have a great day ,Lydia

Yshka

Dear Maariku, yes please! Do you still have to start with lessons or are you going for the exams already? I still have to go and find myself a teacher. But when you start, please let me know so we can support eachother:cool:.

Dear Zurah, Ive heard through a friend that he will be coming to a festival in Malaga, but I' havent been able to find any other info on it. I will let you know as soon as I hear anything more (I am awaiting info as I presume people will put out how to subscribe etc.).

Kharmine

1) It was so great meeting Shanazel that I resolve this year to try to actually meet more of you! I would love to take an out-of-state workshop or attend a dance festival or something. And we'll do that restaurant, Shanazel, count on it!

2) Resolved to get past my health issues and I'm almost there. Among other things, I finally dealt with my fear of needles and have been able, finally, to get long-delayed dental treatment and start accupuncture. For the coming year the focus will be to continue to lose weight and achieve more stamina for dancing.

3) Resolved to break out of my longtime, steady but rather boring, magazine freelancing into something different. Waiting to hear if I did that, will let y'all know soon! If so, I'll have to resolve not to spend so much time on the forum, alas!

Suhad

I didn't really set any 2007 goals...I was so emotionally and physically burned out from nursing school that I have really just let the whole year go. That and dance wise, I got so frustrated with myself after the Bellydancer of the Universe contest that I pretty much quit dancing in the second half of the year. Watching Nesrin on YouTube lit my fire for the dance once again.

But, dance-wise for 2008: I plan to take private lessons with Dahlena if possible; as many privates as my instructor the fabulous Helena will let me have with her; and with my drum instructor as well. Between the three of them I think I will have a good foundation (and be broke as you-know-what but it's for a good cause). I would also like to dance in my local area and maybe begin getting some private party gigs later in the year.

Business-wise I want to get serious about selling my knitting. I registered a business name several years ago, and developed a quasi business plan, but I never really followed through with my plan. I have been selling things here and there, and really want to do it on a regular basis, with the full idea I had -- local yarns from local animals dyed with local plant dyes, spun and knit by me into my own designs. I doubt I could ever make a full living at it, but it would be nice if I could make enough to help pay for my belly dance addiction!! :dance:

I'm already getting commissions for hand knit kilt hose...you kilt wearing folks take note! :D

Hello All, here's my list:
1) Attend at least three workshop seminars
2) Attend Morrocco's Summer-Long Workshop
3) Enter Personal Best Contest again
4) Network with more dancers in my area
5) Buy more music and less costumes:rolleyes:

Yasmine