good exercises for stomach????

Emma_Williams

I do the one where i lay on my back then pull my knee up to my chest in turn whilst my head is slightly raised and im also doing the womans sit up where i lay on my back with my head slightly raised and knees bent.

What are other good ab exercises??? I want to make sure I am working all my abs.

Thank you xxx

Reen.Blom

I like to use my gymball, for 6 pounds i invested in it, it gives so much support to my back and workout for my abs! LOL

I love practicing chest lifts and pelvis tucks as an ab workout while standing! I Love Ariellah's drills on her dvd, really help me tone up the tummy!!!

best of luck!

PoleDanceABCs

Pole dancing is awesome for the abs. :D

I used to have a jiggly belly and I tried everything from pilates to gazillion sit-ups. After all the work I still didn't get any lift for my belly pooch and I thought that it wasn't fat but that my skin had given out or something. After just a few weeks of pole dancing my belly got sooooo tight! I love not getting pudge rolling over my jeans when I sit down.

If not on a pole I'm thinking that using monkey bars is good too. Hang on and lift the legs using your abs rather than your thigh muscles. Your abs are stronger and better for lifting your legs. If your legs feel really heavy or tired after a few reps you are using your leg muscles.

Maya

Doesn't matter how many crunches or how much weight training you do if you don't do any cardio to get rid of the fat! At least 30 minutes each time but try to get in 45 mins.

PoleDanceABCs

Yes cardio is very important. I've read that even just 20 minutes of heart-bumping cardio is just as good as going for longer periods. And don't forget strength training but you need to rest in between... so every other day of strength training is ideal.

Jujube

Pole dancing is awesome for the abs. :D

I used to have a jiggly belly and I tried everything from pilates to gazillion sit-ups. After all the work I still didn't get any lift for my belly pooch and I thought that it wasn't fat but that my skin had given out or something. After just a few weeks of pole dancing my belly got sooooo tight! I love not getting pudge rolling over my jeans when I sit down.

If not on a pole I'm thinking that using monkey bars is good too. Hang on and lift the legs using your abs rather than your thigh muscles. Your abs are stronger and better for lifting your legs. If your legs feel really heavy or tired after a few reps you are using your leg muscles.

I did not know this about pole. I never really thought about doing it but now I'm curious to experiment with the abs thing. :) I'm always looking for new ways to stress my abs.

Reen.Blom

Oh well, if its not about losing weight but just toning the abs? Gonna look for more exercises for the gym ball!

jenc

well I found tghat working hard on BD changed my shape and gave me a waist for the first time in years - didn't need to look for another form of exercise

Mya

the truth is that stomach fat is not going to disappear by only doing ab exercises, you do need cardio to reduce the fat as well - otherwise, you may strengthen your muscles underneath the fat, but your stomach won't get flat.

My opinion - cardio + bellydance make a lovely stomach over time, that's toned, but not that 6 pack look which i don't like on ladies.

Kashmir

Abs?

I assume you mean for abs not stomach (the latter is the big organ that grinds your food up :D ). The main trick is to make sure your abs are doing the work - not your hip flexors. Most people, when they do sit-ups or crunches, don't use their abs much at all.

How to tell. Lie on your back with your knees bent. Place your fingers in the crease that your leg makes with your torso (about the middle). Raise your leg - you should feel it sweel under your fingers. If not move them until you do.

Now, slowly bring your head and torso off the floor towars your knees. As soon as you feel that swelling - stop - you aren't using your abs any more. Back down a little and hold. Now repeat. Speed is not the issue using the right muscles is more important. Eventually you will be able to get up further and further on your abs.

PerizadaNZ

The best one I've ever found is:

Lying flat on your back wth your legs straight and feet together:
lift your legs 2" above the ground
hold for 5 seconds
raise them slowly for five seconds straight up as high as you can keeping your legs straight
hold for 5
lower slowly for five until 2" above the ground
hold for five
relax

If you can do five of these your first time....CONGRATS!!!! It's a killer, but you really feel it in your abs.

Reen.Blom

I assume you mean for abs not stomach (the latter is the big organ that grinds your food up :D ). The main trick is to make sure your abs are doing the work - not your hip flexors. Most people, when they do sit-ups or crunches, don't use their abs much at all.

How to tell. Lie on your back with your knees bent. Place your fingers in the crease that your leg makes with your torso (about the middle). Raise your leg - you should feel it sweel under your fingers. If not move them until you do.

Now, slowly bring your head and torso off the floor towars your knees. As soon as you feel that swelling - stop - you aren't using your abs any more. Back down a little and hold. Now repeat. Speed is not the issue using the right muscles is more important. Eventually you will be able to get up further and further on your abs.

Sounds interesting, but well, I seem to fail to get where to look for a crease... :(:(:(
Umf, I can be so slow.......:think:

Abdominal Fitness

A combination of cardiovascular exercise, proper nutrition and ab strengthening exercises is the best way to lose belly fat, sculpt and strengthen a sexy stomach.

You have to make sure that with sit ups you are using the proper technique, not stressing your neck or back and really engaging your abdominal muscles. Belly dancing is great as it targets almost every muscle in your core as well as the deep transverse abs, and it is certainly more fun then crunches!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wonderland Wigs

I lie flat on my back with my legs out flat in front of me, then slowly raise both legs up in the air tensing my stomach muscles! It's really good, very difficult though - be careful if you have a bad back.
x

Last edited by a moderator:

shiradotnet

Lying flat on your back wth your legs straight and feet together:
lift your legs 2" above the ground
hold for 5 seconds
raise them slowly for five seconds straight up as high as you can keeping your legs straight
hold for 5
lower slowly for five until 2" above the ground
hold for five
relax

If you can do five of these your first time....CONGRATS!!!! It's a killer, but you really feel it in your abs.

I agree that this is a very ab-strengthening exercise. The one caution I'll mention is that *some* people aren't good candidates to do this one due to lower back issues. So, for those whose bodies can tolerate it, it's a great exercise, but it's not for everybody.

Eve

I agree that this is a very ab-strengthening exercise. The one caution I'll mention is that *some* people aren't good candidates to do this one due to lower back issues. So, for those whose bodies can tolerate it, it's a great exercise, but it's not for everybody.

I'd also add, that you should contract you abs and zip up your pelvic floor as it's very common for people to push down when doing a move like this.

Also remember your abs are muscle and need to be targeted the same as if you are training your arms. Endurance, strengh, power.

AND:lol: remember to work your lower back. You don't want to be unbalanced.

One exercise I like which targets lower back, butt, hamstrings and also the lower abs in a supporting role (especially in the second half of the lift) are straight (stiff) leg dead lifts.

I prefer to keep my legs closer together as I'm not looking to lift heavy or work on power. Just using 20lbs and you'll feel it because we don't often these muscles, they're hard to target. Don't go crazy with this when first trying it. Don't blame me if you feel like you've been kicked by a mule the next day.:lol:

It's hard to find a video I like
How to Perform Stiff Leg Deadlifts Video ? 5min.com

However, I prefer to keep my legs very straight and feet close together & use a barbell. Where you place your feet will can affect your balance and Your arms are just hooks for the weight.

I like doing sets of 21's with these. Don't rest between your reps.
7 reps straighten just so the bar reaches knee height
7 reps from knee height to straight up
7 reps full range of motion.

Hamoudi

if you can join the health club, its so good becos ur coach can told you what is the best for you and not doing damages to ur muscels...if its too costy, i think push ups and crunchs are best but most imprtant to do REPS in good speed.

Antigone

Good Diet is the key factor for flat abs. Cardio exercise and abs work will help to tone the area but will not do anything by themselves if your diet is crap ! ! :lol:
The exercises I find more effective for my abs are :
- The Plank (lying on the floor on your elbows you lift your knees off the floor and keep this position for 60 secs.) This works the upper and lower abs.
- The Bicycle (lying on your back with hands behind your head you lift your legs and twist from side to side trying to reach your left elbow to your right knee and then your right elbow to your left knee on the other side.) When done quickly this is a killer exercise and also has a cardio effect !