I wear glasses. Does that mean that I cannot be a professional?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Ismaila. I have moved your thread to the Beauty & Fitness Forum as glasses are part of one's appearance:D

As for your question, I see no reason why you cannot be a professional with glasses, you could match your frames to your costumes or just have a pair with some bling on the sides. Or maybe you can opt for contact lens. I know of several dancers who wear contacts:D
~Mosaic

Welcome to the forum Ismaila. I have moved your thread to the Beauty & Fitness Forum as glasses are part of one's appearance:D

As for your question, I see no reason why you cannot be a professional with glasses, you could match your frames to your costumes or just have a pair with some bling on the sides. Or maybe you can opt for contact lens. I know of several dancers who wear contacts:D
~Mosaic

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That makes me very happy!:D

Darshiva

I just take mine off when I'm dancing. Not being able to see very well (we're talking nice colourful smears) hasn't hampered my ability to dance - not even with my ability to improvise on stage.

Yame

If you want to dance for a living, the fact that you wear glasses should be the least of your worries... lol

Farasha Hanem

This is embarrassing to admit, but I lost one of my contact lenses a few months back, so I've been a "one-eyed Jill" this whole time. What's really bad is that I'm near-sighted in my right eye, and far-sighted in my left, so my lenses are different. However, I'm happy to say that so far, while I'm socking back money for more lenses, I've been able to work, dance, and even perform without killing myself or anyone else! :lol:

Amulya

I have bad eyesight, my right eye can't see much so I can't see dept. Can be very annoying at times. No problems with dancing actually, but do have issues walking around town and not falling off ledges and bumping into people. Some days it's worse, some days it's not much of an issue.
I am getting it fixed soon by a special lens and eventually special surgery.

But if it ever becomes a problem: there is always cane dance :p

seona

I just take mine off when I'm dancing. Not being able to see very well (we're talking nice colourful smears) hasn't hampered my ability to dance - not even with my ability to improvise on stage.

I couldn't imagine performing with not being able to see, I'd fear falling over or falling off the stage :lol:
For performing I wear daily disposable contacts, it works out well for me I have no contract to keep buying them, I just buy a box when they run out. I don't find them that comfortable even though my optician has tried different brands etc, it's due to the shape of my eyeball apparently. And with eye make up they seem to itch, I am currently looking for eye make up thats suitable for sensitive eyes/lenses wearers, any suggestions please share! thanks.

Amulya

I have those disposables too, so I don't need to wear them every day (better for the eyes) Shame though that the doctor told me today that they can't correct my eyesight with glasses, the difference between right and left is too big for the brain to deal with if they try to correct it with glasses.
I have been waiting for months for my special contacts (for my right eye) to arrive *sigh*

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I wear contacts for performance. My wife wears them "sometimes", or just "goes without". She can still see well enough to navigate without vision correction, I really cannot. I'd fall off the stage, face the wrong way, run into my dance sisters, whatever! It'd be VERY ugly...

This is embarrassing to admit, but I lost one of my contact lenses a few months back, so I've been a "one-eyed Jill" this whole time. What's really bad is that I'm near-sighted in my right eye, and far-sighted in my left, so my lenses are different. However, I'm happy to say that so far, while I'm socking back money for more lenses, I've been able to work, dance, and even perform without killing myself or anyone else! :lol:

Oh wow. I have never heard of something like that. Does that cause headaches?

I wear contacts for performance. My wife wears them "sometimes", or just "goes without". She can still see well enough to navigate without vision correction, I really cannot. I'd fall off the stage, face the wrong way, run into my dance sisters, whatever! It'd be VERY ugly...
Yeah, I am near sighted. I want to wear something for my vision so I can see correctly.

LadyLoba

I am also very nearsighted. I rarely take my glasses off, except for pictures and onstage...because the lenses are so heavy Id look all distorted under the lights. Ive had to perform in acting classes without them, and it's not terrible...as long as there isnt anything dangerous...like the risk of falling off the edge of the stage or ramming right into the prop table....or another actor/dancer/etc :)

Starmouth

I am terribly short sighted and wear glasses every day, but for performing I always wear contacts. My eyes are very astigmatic (rugby ball shaped) so lenses are quite uncomfortable for me - even the ultra-expensive super moist ones dry my eyes in a couple of hours, so I am forever putting drops in them. But worth it, I think. I want the audience to see my eyes.

If I didn't wear any kind of vision correction I would fall on my actual face. :lol:

SeeJaneDance

I am also very nearsighted. I rarely take my glasses off, except for pictures and onstage...because the lenses are so heavy Id look all distorted under the lights. Ive had to perform in acting classes without them, and it's not terrible...as long as there isnt anything dangerous...like the risk of falling off the edge of the stage or ramming right into the prop table....or another actor/dancer/etc :)

LadyLoba, do you practice without them on, too? I think if I tried to dance on stage without my glasses, after always practicing with them, it'd be very disorienting...but maybe I'm wrong?

Katya

When dancing some movements are imposible to do without your glasses falling down. Use contact lens. There are many types you can choose! And don't forget eye drops so your eyes don't get dry and red because of lens.

maylynn

I think you can dance professionally with glasses, you just need to integrate them properly into your costume, as previously mentioned. It could be a really cute look.

As someone who had some of the worst nearsightedness most people had ever heard of (-8.5), I wore glasses and contacts for years. Mostly contacts. About 8 years ago I got laser corrective surgery, and I can't recommend it enough if that option is open to you. For me, it was life changing and one of the best things I've ever done.

Stephanie

I am near sighted (-4.75, I think) and hope to get contacts again in about a month. And then in a couple of years I want to get Lasik. Some places have monthly payment plans which make it affordable. Just pay what you can up front (sometimes as low as $0) and then they make a monthly payment plan. Sometimes even with no interest as long as you pay it off within a certain time frame (18 months?).

And there are other corrective eye surgery options if you're not a candidate for lasik, but from what I hear they are a bit more painful than lasik so people try to get lasik first, if they can, and then look at other options.