Is anyone learning Arabic?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

As anyone here trying to learn Arabic?

I'm trying it on my own with the Teach Yourself series. I started it a couple of years ago and remember about this much:[___] so I'm starting over.

Anybody wanna come with me? Can we have a support group?

LOL

Maria_Aya

Heyy while in the horible trafic of Athens, 1 hour everyday I have a CD method (only acoustic) english-arabic instead of listening to music (that anyway would be arabic lol), its fun, its easy and OMG i dont think i will never have the time to learn the writing thing.

So Aiwaaaaaaaaaaaaa helwa habibtiiiiiiiiii

Maria Aya or Amaria as arabs call me lol

Suhad

Me too, my husband got me Rosetta Stone...but I recently got a dance gig at a restaurant so I'm a little busy with practice...should actually be practicing now but taking a surfing break.

I too am not sure I'll ever get the written part -- it's very pretty to look at though.

Hmmm...since it goes from right to left, does that mean that Arabs write left handed to avoid smearing the ink, does anyone know? I mean, at least in times past.

sstacy123

I want to but been trying to learn Spanish so I think I need to get it down before I move on to something else...and I'm slow moving with the Spanish...

sultan

There are thousands of Arabic words in the Spanish language.

Examples:

Spanish's Arab Connection: Spanish Words Derived from Arabic

Wish I could learn Arabic (esp the Moroccan + North West African types) but I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. Also wish I could learn Haketia which is the Moroccan version of Ladino. Ladino is the easiest language to learn in Europe but there are no good online courses for it.

BTW, the idea of a support group is a darn good one! Kudos to you.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hmmm...since it goes from right to left, does that mean that Arabs write left handed to avoid smearing the ink, does anyone know? I mean, at least in times past.

Oh man, what a good question!!! I wonder too???

Writing it is easy -- Get this book:
Amazon.com: Teach Yourself Beginner's Arabic Script (Teach Yourself Beginner's Script Series): Books: John Mace

You'll learn to identify letters and some words in no time.

BUT

The handwriting of Arabs I know varies WILDLY from what they show in this book. I guess everybody has their own way to "write" it.

I think there are also some different fonts or character styles for the language that makes identification sometimes difficult. Like the "standard" they use in this book is easy to read, but sometimes the typefaces on CD covers is different enough that it's confusing.

One thing I've noticed about Arabic script is that it always seems so TINY! Arabs must have good eyes!

Mandii

Oh Oh ME!!! ME!!! I am taking classes at my local community college, I just finished the spring semester with a 'B' (Oewa) and this summer one of my classmates husband is Arabic so we are having summer classes with him. Then in the fall its back to school with my Egyptian teacher again. I can read pretty good and I can speak OK but when people talk to me I look at them like they have 6 heads because it takes some time to process:lol: , and I am used to the way my teacher and classmates talk.

Kharmine

I have a nephew who studied Arabic in Cairo. One thing to remember -- what you often get in most couses is classical Arabic.

There are variations of Arabic in every Arab country so f you have a particular interest in travel, you might want to ask the instructor or check your course material to see if any distinctions are noted where you want to go.

Eshta

I just this week made the decision to start learning Arabic from September! I'm nervous but excited about it! I think I might try a 'teach yourself' cassette until then to see if I can get a little head start...:)

Azeeza

I bought a book with words and cassette and "travel" translations in it, but I didn't get past the first page.

Then, I signed up for a Middle Eastern culture, spoken, and writing class and I was the ONLY one who inquired about it, so the class canceled.

Still waiting for the class to open up, but I'm interested in learning online.

How do we go about setting this up???

Azeeza

Mariyam

Gosh, I would just *love* to learn Arabic. For the 3rd year in a row, I'm thinking of joining a class at my local adult educational center... but I know that I don't have the time for it. *sigh* :rolleyes: And I already want to learn Spanish and Swedish, so I'm getting a bit language-confused! (not to mention that I'd love to learn Greek, Turkish, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc. etc. etc. that's the translator in me!)

Has anyone followed "live" lessons (sitting classes) AND "teach yourself" lessons? Which ones are the best? Of course, it depends on the person, some are just better when they sit in a class with a teacher than trying to learn by themselves, but anyway... All information is welcomed :D

Moon

I'm not learning Arabic myself but I thought I'd share this link with you. Babel : arabic You can't learn the language with this alone, but I think it can sure help you with writing and pronunciation.

Eshta

After posting this thread, I went off for a trip around the world wide web and am into my 3rd day of learning arabic using free online resources! The internet's a wonderful thing, here are some useful sites in case anyone is interested...

ww.funwitharabic.com
AL-BAB: an open door to the Arab world
www.playandlearn.org

And for podcasters, there is a 'learn Jordanian arabic" podcast by the peacecorp, which is free and in very short lessons!

I'm hooked! Have decided to try to learn one letter a day from the alphabet and see how that goes.

Safran

Has anyone followed "live" lessons (sitting classes) AND "teach yourself" lessons? Which ones are the best? Of course, it depends on the person, some are just better when they sit in a class with a teacher than trying to learn by themselves, but anyway... All information is welcomed :D

I think it the same as with dancing - getting "live" instruction is always better, especially if you start from zero. This way the teacher can correct you if necessary and if you come across exceptional words or phrases, it is always good to ask for additional information. I also prefer attending classes, because this will do good for my study discipline... If I will rely on teaching myself, it will be a much longer process.

emi

hey , i am emi from egypt, i dont know how it feels when u learn arabic, but wanna ask u , when u learn arabic u learn specific accent or what? , i mean i speak egyptian accent or we can say egyptian arabic , so.. what kind of arabic u learn, and how is the pronouncation :D?

Adiva

I am also learning Arabic, but it's a course to school yourself at home. Needless to say it isn't going so well. It is actually an Arabic course with the emphasis on the Moroccon dialect. Normally you finish the course after 15 months, and you can always send in your homework for correction, but... I am paying for it already a year now and I have studied a months worth I'm afraid... Hopefully I'll get the courage again to sit down with my books, but it's hard after 12 hours work days and my off days I rather go bellydancing or surfing on bellydance websites (and my BF gets some time also ;))

At least I already can write the alphabet, that's a start, right? :D

Adiva

By the way, in the past I already have had a year of 'live' lessons because I was going to Morocco for school for 3 months and wanted some base... And I have to say live lessons are better because you make yourself go to class, while homeschooling makes you say: 'I don't feel like it now'. Unless you have a lot of self-discipline of course ;)