Natalie Strelchenko wearing faceveil

SansAlias

I'm aware that the majority of dancers on here are not in favor of face veils. But I have to say that the face veil being worn in this video kind of looks nice and seems to go well with the rest of the costume. I like the dancer as well in this particular video, although I am not fond of some of her other youtube videos. I would be interested in hearing others opinions about her dancing, her costume and the face veil itself..

Thanks...
Jonathan

gisela

Super Moderator
I don't like it. IMO it looks like a mix between a surgeon's mask and a fake Santa-beard. It makes it difficult for me to connect to the dancer.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

I agree.

I don't like them with bedleh; too much the cliche belly dancer/ harem slave image, and it seems kinda silly to be hiding your face with so much of the rest of you on display.

Chani

Yeah, face modesty while wearing a bedlah is weird.

Honestly, it freaks me out - like perhaps she is concerned about germs or is hiding a disfigurement. Plus for anybody who has watched the movie Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo will not be able to keep a straight face watching a bellydancer with a face veil.

da Sage

Yeah, face modesty while wearing a bedlah is weird.

Honestly, it freaks me out - like perhaps she is concerned about germs or is hiding a disfigurement. Plus for anybody who has watched the movie Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo will not be able to keep a straight face watching a bellydancer with a face veil.

Oooh, thanks for mentioning that! I love movies with belly-dancing scenes!

da Sage

I'm aware that the majority of dancers on here are not in favor of face veils. But I have to say that the face veil being worn in this video kind of looks nice and seems to go well with the rest of the costume. I like the dancer as well in this particular video, although I am not fond of some of her other youtube videos. I would be interested in hearing others opinions about her dancing, her costume and the face veil itself..

Thanks...
Jonathan

I'm not a fan of this veil. It makes the dancer look silly, when she seems to be doing a moderately serious dance.

I think for high-camp dancing, a face veil might be OK...maybe a transparent one? But it would be very tricky to pull off - you would have to know your venue and the audience very well and gauge everything carefully. And it is so easy to offend when mixing those "harem" stereotypes with belly dance.

The reason the harem comedy scene is so pervasive is that it combines sexual desire (often undignified, thus funny) with possibilities for mistaken identity (textbook funny). And of course, harem costumes are sexy, and that's always a big entertainment draw.

lizaj

Oh long live Mezdeke!:lol: tacky,tasteless,ridiculous,unnecessary...unless of course she had a severe outbreak of cold sores;)

Shanazel

Reminds me of old-fashioned western movies where the bandits always wore a bandana pulled up over their lower faces.

Face veil + bedlah= cliche

Amulya

Oh long live Mezdeke!:lol: tacky,tasteless,ridiculous,unnecessary...unless of course she had a severe outbreak of cold sores;)

Hehe that was indeed what came to mind when I saw this. I have the Mezdeke video, just for the sheer horror of it, I used to show it to students for educational purposes of what not to do.