Official Costume Making Tips Thread.

Shanazel

That's a very nice basic tutorial- thanks for posting the link. I teach shishadur as an embroidery teacher. I am not a fan of using paillettes, which are essentially giant flat sequins, but they do have advantages for costume use: inexpensive, easy to manipulate, light weight. I have a valued supply of old shishas that I used sparingly for projects. Anyone know where I can find the old, asymmetrical bubbled mirrors for shishadur?

Darshiva

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to make an Eman Zaki-style bra? I can't find a nice, stylish bedlah to fit me so i need to make one or explain to the lovely local dressmaker how to make one for me - and that would require the tutorial.

Amulya

I have heard you need a special type of bra for that style and those bra's are only available in Egypt. I have looked around if I could find bra's that fit the description, but never saw anything that resembled remotely.

Amulya

That's a very nice basic tutorial- thanks for posting the link. I teach shishadur as an embroidery teacher. I am not a fan of using paillettes, which are essentially giant flat sequins, but they do have advantages for costume use: inexpensive, easy to manipulate, light weight. I have a valued supply of old shishas that I used sparingly for projects. Anyone know where I can find the old, asymmetrical bubbled mirrors for shishadur?

Maybe you could find them on EBay India? I have them in embroidered fabric I once bought, but I have never seen them for sale just as pieces.

Nejmeh

It`s probably been explained before, but I made two sewing booboo`s..:(

Decorated my bra, just started out on the belt(fabric is on). My dear bf pointed out, that as I had done everything by hand, I had to run it under the machine for extra support/strength. Really?! Or could I just go with decorating it and making the strength out of those?

But, the biggest 'and what are we going to do now?'is how to line the darn things. Ok, so I learned that in the future I should do that in advance, but now that all the deco is on the bra, how to line it?

Amulya

No, lining goes after decorating, so you're doing it right! The lining will add extra strength. If you're not sure about the belt, you can use 'kaasdoek' (Dutch word for a certain type of linen) or denim to reinforce it.

Shanazel

I make my bras and hip bands completely by hand- not a machine stitch on either. What on earth makes your dear man think machine stitching is needed for strength? If you need to stiffen the hip band, denim is good, as are a number of different kinds of heavy interfacings or buckram.

Linings go in last. I just sort of fit the fabric inside the cups, mark darts where needed and tack the fabric to the inside of the cups. For the back, I make pieces to fit the shape of the bra and tack it on as well. Linings should be fairly easy to remove so when they get too icky you can replace them. Cotton is nicely absorbant and easy to work with.

shiradotnet

There's a large amount of costuming-related info on my web site, including online patterns and sewing tips for do-it-yourselfers. Some of it written by me, some by Dina Lydia (costume goddess), and some by others. See Shira's Belly Dance Costume Corner

I think there's something like over 120 articles about costuming altogether.

Shanazel

I found 86 bubble mirrors (old style shishas) at the local yarn shop. They've been there through three owners- the current owner didn't even know what they were until I told her. These are small ones- I bought all the larger ones fifteen years ago and didn't know there were any left.

A couple of years ago, a new age store advertized shisha. I was so excited! Went roaring in to buy some and discovered that shisha is also the name of something that is smoked in a hookah. :( The store owner thought I was a little nutty when she handed me a package and I exclaimed, "But this isn't shisha!" even though it stated "Shisha" plainly on the package. We both learned something that day. ;)

Nejmeh

Thanks for the advice, I`m sewing away again!:)

Shanazel: Well, the first thing I was thinking about when I saw you ladies talk about shisha`s was also the waterpipe. I was already having visions of a costume with those pipes...

Lolpard

Spilled beads.

The best way to pick up spilled beads on carpet is to use a plastic spoon. You can get it under the beads easily and even just run it at an angle over the carpet. It will just scoop them up.

PracticalDancer

I had a light bulb moment when I realized when you have a lining that is a different color from your outer fabric, you can use a different color thread for the bobbin so both sides of the fabric match your threads. Derp.

Changing your machine needle is a good idea. They get dull more often than you realize.

You can save some money by buying cone thread, like sold for a serger pic below, for your sewing machine. Just use something heavy with a vertical pole to hold it upright. Second pic below is way fancy and expensive, but you get the idea. Some vertical paper towel holders work okay. I had a friend rig me a homemade one with a thread guide.

What about mounting a toilet paper roll holder (turning it 90 degrees) onto the wall??? :think:

PracticalDancer

I have a tray that is meant to be used serving breakfast in bed- it has short little legs and fits over a lap. I hate sitting upright at tables (I was the despair of those good female relatives who believed a lady sits in a straight chair with both feet on the floor) so I make myself comfortable on the couch with my feet up and put my tray across my lap and VOILA! A piece of felt makes a nice pad to keep my beads and sequins from gettng away from me.

I learned to also put my beads into a cup or a ramekin with double stick tape on the bottom inside surface. Then pour just one layer thick of beads in. If the cat attacks, the tape MIGHT JUST keep the beads in place!

ETA:
The best way to pick up spilled beads on carpet is to use a plastic spoon. You can get it under the beads easily and even just run it at an angle over the carpet. It will just scoop them up.

My mom was a jewelry student when I was in 3rd grade. She and her peers had a bad habit of spilling pearls on the grey linoleum floor of the jewelry studio. So, she, her peers, and I learned quickly that the way to find anything small and round on a floor is to lay on the floor on your side, keeping the eye closest to the floor open and shut the other eye. Slide around to look in all directions, and you will find your beads, pearls, rubies (yes, they dropped those, too!), etc.

Last edited:

Kanika

I love making costumes by hand, very fun with sprinklings of stress and fear :D

Some of my best tools are a tea candle and a box of matches. Now I know this may be a bit odd and certainly not for everyone, but for me--sewing veils and other chiffon-like, flowy material is never fun. Machines tend to snag and by hand takes far too long. So...I've learned that you can burn the hem--with a steady hand! It works wonderfully. Now if are trying it, I suggest trying it on some "not very important" fabric first. And to also do it on a flat surface.

It not only makes the hem pretty, it also makes certain veil movements easier (double veils for one)

Another tip is to try things on as frequently as possible. Sometimes I go off on design tangents and when I get back to reality, my costume isn't always cut to the same measurements I remember :(

Ranya

Went roaring in to buy some and discovered that shisha is also the name of something that is smoked in a hookah. :(

the shisha is the waterpipe itself actually. i think (not 100% sure though) that the word hookah originates from the indian sub-continent (don't know which language it comes from, they have waaay to many ;) ). shisha is used in arabic speaking countries (also arguileh or narguileh, which is i think the "correct" word and "shisha" is colloquial)

Ranya

Ur welcome, we learn everyday (that's why I love this forum... I'm absorbing information like a sponge here and I am glad when I can contribute)