Qualifications for teaching and insurance in the UK?

Demelza Aradia

I am looking to teach in my local area, and i was wondering what courses one would need to go on to be "allowed" as it were to teach dance? I've already got my eye on the excellent Insurance thread :D and from what I have learnt so far, it seems I will need to do a basic Movement to Music course with the YMCA, unless I teach at local community centres, where such a thing is not needed....?

It's all very confusing. Does anyone have any advice?

lizaj

I am looking to teach in my local area, and i was wondering what courses one would need to go on to be "allowed" as it were to teach dance? I've already got my eye on the excellent Insurance thread :D and from what I have learnt so far, it seems I will need to do a basic Movement to Music course with the YMCA, unless I teach at local community centres, where such a thing is not needed....?

Mosaic or MADN require qualification in dance eg. JWAAD to qualify for PLI.
there are other ways to get PLI and there other dance qualifications eg community dance.
If your dance experience is considerable, you have required Health and safety knowledge, First Aid training and CRB checks that is probably sufficient for organisations to employ you.
May I direct you to advice on regarding teachng..it's very useful!Street Legal Belly Dance Teaching

lizaj

PS...Mark states about his wife having the CRB for her day job but you need it for each organisation you work for! Yeh!
Oh if you are self employed don't forget to regster as S/E with the IR as soon as you start or they fine you.

Kharis

The thing about teaching for organisations that require a crb check, insurance, etc, is that they pay peanuts. Whilst you do need insurance for teaching privately, you can often get this via the venue you teach at which offers cover. This is not always so, but sometimes an option. Teaching for local authorities does not pay enough, unless you're doing it for a hobby and money is not an issue. They pay something like £14 an hour, which is bugger all when you consider you may be teaching a class of 20 who could be paying £5 a head.