The Wind Of Change ?

khanjar

The Wind Of Change as it applies to this website, for it has changed and I suppose periodically does change but as I have noticed, usually after there has been a big squabble about something or other, which usually is in or around the same old subject, I will leave others to define that.

But I have noticed in recent weeks I hardly pop in here, anymore where in the past, it was a usual daily visit, I visited, because I enjoyed being here, there was much of interest to read and participate in, but not so much lately, the last couple of months I would say.

I don't know, perhaps it is me, but I feel there is an air of tension here now where there was not before, it feels like people are unwilling to comment on some subjects for they know where it most likely will end up and they do not want to be seen as part of it.

I have left for a long period once before, and fear I am doing the same again, maybe it is natural, maybe I need a break, maybe this site is failing to appeal anymore, if the latter, it saddens me, as this was a great place to be.

Does anyone else feel the change and have similar thoughts, and more importantly, have they an idea of what the problem is, and can it be made better ?

Has anyone noticed who used to be here regularly and has in recent months ceased to be so, I for one cannot believe everyone is just busy doing other things.

jenc

On the contrary, I don't feel that anyone is watching their step. I do feel that things are flatter now. The controversy has gone, but when it was here it sparked off aot more interesting debate

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Forums go through active and quiet times, I don't see anything very different. Most of the regulars keep popping in:D

If you need a break (it happens) don't worry we will still be here
~Mosaic

adiemus

...and I've also noticed that there are times when it's positively horrid being here (usually when there are arguments), times when a lot of newbies are here so there's lots of 'instruction' stuff, and times when it's just fun and frivolous and fabulous! I think it's more like the latter at the moment, and I love it!

Shanazel

Forums go through phases just like people do. I agree with Bronnie's assessment right down to the exclamation mark after "I love it!"

have they an idea of what the problem is, and can it be made better ?

When I find myself dissatisfied and discontent with an entity or activity that I have previously enjoyed, I can usually trace the problem back to myself. That is not to say you are a problem, my dear Khanjar, but rather that perhaps that the site no longer serves a purpose for you personally and that you need to explore other avenues for a while. Taking a break from OD doesn't automatically translate into permament exile- we'll always welcome you back. ;)

Kharis

I think sites like this are cyclic, and that moods and ideas fluctuate and it all comes full circle and off we go again. I feel this site has become a better place to be... but I can also see why folks come and then don't stay or get involved in the discussions.

I guess there's a fine line between a good old heated debate and becoming personal with someone because there is a nurtured vendetta that won't be laid to rest and when this raises it's head things get ugly, as we have recently seen.

Mostly, we can dish out as good as we get on here, but sometimes, there are unfairly aggressive posts to newbies who haven't built up the armour necessary to deal with this. That really pisses me off.

The other unpleasant aspect of this site is when people feel the need to rip another dancer apart on their You Tube footage. Again, there's a fine line between being critical if someone blatantly brings the dance into disrepute or behaves like an idiot, and tearing someone a new arsehole because they dance in the street in homemade costumes and their technique is wanting.

There we go... I'm sure the above will open up some debate... or not.

Caroline_afifi

The Wind Of Change as it applies to this website, for it has changed and I suppose periodically does change but as I have noticed, usually after there has been a big squabble about something or other, which usually is in or around the same old subject, I will leave others to define that.

But I have noticed in recent weeks I hardly pop in here, anymore where in the past, it was a usual daily visit, I visited, because I enjoyed being here, there was much of interest to read and participate in, but not so much lately, the last couple of months I would say.

I don't know, perhaps it is me, but I feel there is an air of tension here now where there was not before, it feels like people are unwilling to comment on some subjects for they know where it most likely will end up and they do not want to be seen as part of it.

I have left for a long period once before, and fear I am doing the same again, maybe it is natural, maybe I need a break, maybe this site is failing to appeal anymore, if the latter, it saddens me, as this was a great place to be.

Does anyone else feel the change and have similar thoughts, and more importantly, have they an idea of what the problem is, and can it be made better ?

Has anyone noticed who used to be here regularly and has in recent months ceased to be so, I for one cannot believe everyone is just busy doing other things.

Different people want different things from a forum.. I think this forum used to have a lot more depth from discussions and certainly some great members seem to have disappeared.

It is more of a place for people to come for advice now rather than a place of discussion or 'cud chewing'.
Whilst there were some very heated debates.. it is what brought people here and gave people food for thought.

There is another forum with many members from here, who do have very indepth discussions about this dance and surprisingly nobody is defensive or ever get into fights... :D

I will pm you with the details...or anyone else if they are interested. I just dont think it's right to advertise other forums on a forum.

People usually do a few anyway as each forum offers something different.

Last edited:

khanjar

I suppose with other places people migrate to, how they conduct themselves is different, for they have learned bad behaviour doesn't work, perhaps it is people have got over their teething problems and just wish to communicate without aggression.

I for one feel the need to ponder something where I may engage in my forte of deep thinking and analysis of situations, by it, I learn and even question myself where necessary and if I find myself to be incorrect, with the new knowledge I will modify my understanding as it is my sole wish to just understand, not conquer.

Perhaps what I have seen here whilst lurking these past few months, is not the depth I require, so the interest quickly wanes, but with my interest in rakkase, comes other culture interest of the regions involved, I do not confine my interests to dance alone, and even the culture interest has now leaked into my college degree studies, the direction I have it seems chosen originates with Oriental admiration, so I need something more than dance to ponder.

I still dance, well, I am still learning to dance, but recognising my inabilities, I now expect it will take time and patience, which is fine for me, as I am very patient, and have even been commended on my performance, something which goes well with me, it seems I need critique and as a result the feed back empowers my faith in the dance and myself.

Thank You Caroline.