Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Darshiva

The first one would make a nice variation on the iskenderayani (melaya leff) theme. Very cute!

The second - just the fact that it was modelled without a visible panty line makes me nervous about buying it. What if I ended up with the modelled costume?!

Amulya

Oh Yuk! I hadn't thought of that yet! And what if you're dancing and the front panel starts shifting? Even if you wear nude coloured underwear it will make the audience wonder.

Sorry but the melaya type dress I don't like, it would only work for melaya and that is too expensive for the once in a blue moon people do melaya. Too busy for me

LunaXJJ

I like the colors (makes me think of candy :D), I just don't know if I like them for BD. To each their own, I guess.
The model wearing it looks quite suited for it though, she's like a little pixie. :D

Dunyah

The first one would make a nice variation on the iskenderayani (melaya leff) theme. Very cute!

The second - just the fact that it was modelled without a visible panty line makes me nervous about buying it. What if I ended up with the modelled costume?!

There was a very lengthy discussion about this dress on facebook. I think the panties have been photoshopped out, because originally you could see that she was wearing lace panties under the dress. One of the dancers who models for the bellydancestore website said that she was able to examine the costume and that there are very secure built-in panties inside the dress. I personally do not like this dress for raqs sharqi, too much attention would be focused on the panty/no panty question and waiting for a costume malfunction. It would detract from the dancing, I feel.

Darshiva

Still, the resale value of that dress is gone. It's a big investment for a costume that can only be worn in certain situations, that couldn't be resold for hygiene reasons without altering the costume.

LunaXJJ

Lol, if I image search "bad belly dance costume" most of the results are from this thread. :lol:

This is kind of... different. It's nude with baby blue feathers randomly attached.
questionable.jpg

Amulya

It got nipple accents :( I suspect there is a bra build in so underboobage wouldn't happen but there is such a huge gap between the cups it has space for a third boob!

Darshiva