What fabrics are acceptable for skirts?

I recently got a gorgeous heavily-beaded bra, and went looking for some fabric to make a skirt. I found some stretch satin that's a perfect match and made a princess-seamed mermaid skirt with it (like this: Dina's Bellydance Costume Galleries).

I took it to class to ask advice on how to embellish the skirt to complement the bra - and my teacher said stretch satin is unacceptable, these days it must be lycra.

I should clarify this isn't for troupe performances - this is for those rare occasions when I get a solo gig and want to look professional.

Opinions?

Daimona

Don't bother about your teacher's opinion if she says you can't use stretch satin. Just because she is following the costume fashion trends doesn't mean you have to. If it is a perfect match and the skirt looks good on you, I don't really see any problem of wearing a stretch satin skirt and not a lycra skirt. I've used both lycra, chiffon and velour skirts to the same bedlah previously. Yes, I do know that lycra is the fashion right now and I've got several lycra costumes, but are your audience aware of the costuming fasions of bellydance?? Unless they are dancers, they probably aren't..

I'm sure you'll get some great ideas from the wonderful members here - particularly if you post an image of your bra and skirt as well. ;)

If you have any left over fabrics from the skirt, have you tought about making a matching belt as well?

Last edited:

Shanazel

stretch satin is unacceptable, these days it must be lycra.

Pphhhtttttt. Spoken like a true slave to fashion. Personally, I don't like to work with or wear lycra- the stuff snags if you look at it crooked.

A perfect match is a perfect match. Go with it. Who knows, maybe you are the leading edge of the newest fashion fabric for belly dancers.

lizaj

I'm sure that troupes,agencies might demand a certain image from a belly dancer but if you are operating as an individual, a beautiful material is a eautiful material. I wonder howver if it does move or enhance your moves in the same way as lycra and that is what teacher might be worrying about. As I say, if as a soloist ,you are happy with the way it works for you,that's what matters.

Shanazel

My favorite circle skirt back in the dark ages was made of non-stretch forest green satin. It weighed a ton, no one else used satin back then, but it looked gorgeous during a spin and I felt absolutely beautiful whenever I wore it.

Farasha Hanem

:clap: Bravo, ladies! Ditto on everything you all said. :)

I'm sorry I can't add anything else here, it is 5:25 in the morning, and I really need to get my patoose in bed. Oo;;;

onela

I'm with everybody else on this, if your fabric you've chosen is a good match and you think it'll wear well, then get'er done. It's not for a troupe costume so you can do what makes you happy :)

gisela

Super Moderator
Lycra is a great material but I don't agree that it is the ONLY right fabric roght now. All those modern costumes use so many other fabrics, like burned out velvet and satin and all kinds of chiffons and silk and stuff. As I see it, the fashion right now is very open to all kinds of different fabrics. Enjoy your new skirt :)

Jeanne

I never heard any rule that a skirt must be any particular fabric, except when you're dealing with costumes that have to match the others in a group. That sounds just plain silly to me.

Thanks for your supportive comments. As suggested, here's a pic. I haven't sewed up the seams of the skirt yet so it's not hanging quite right.

I'm thinking I should make the skirt tighter although I'm a bit worried about showing my bulges! Any suggestions for skirt embellishments most welcome.

Shanazel

Very pretty bra. I'd put some of that dark blue on the skirt- hip level and swirled down the side, maybe.

Daimona

I would make a darker belt/hip wrap with the same decorative patterns and colours as the bra. I would also repeat the same pattern (and colours) in a border app. 1-2 inches above the bottom of the skirt.

PS: Love the bra. Look forward to see you in the complete outfit!

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Pphhhtttttt.

Double pphhhtttt. Never mind the fashion police - if it looks good on you and you like it why on earth not?

Thirding the idea of getting the dark blue from the bra onto the skirt - it needs something matching and dark at the hip to balance the strong visual impact of the bra. Swirlies down the skirt and a border round the hem sounds really nice.

PracticalDancer

Double pphhhtttt. Never mind the fashion police - if it looks good on you and you like it why on earth not?

Thirding the idea of getting the dark blue from the bra onto the skirt - it needs something matching and dark at the hip to balance the strong visual impact of the bra. Swirlies down the skirt and a border round the hem sounds really nice.

Triple pphhhtttt!

You did the right thing, because the color is gorgeous, and you have enough ease in the skirt to move (which may be the teacher's real concern). Just tell her you are going for a "retro" or "fashion forward" look.

Now, you mentioned two issues: 1. Getting the bra to coordinate and 2. (which, ahem, is not really a concern from my perspective, dear!) buldges. I think you can get ideas on both by touring Dina Lydia's gallery (Dina's Bellydance Costume Galleries) and in her "Arm Costume" book. If you were to make drapes or sleeves out of any extra fabric from the skirt, they would both hide any arm/shoulder/etc. topside issues AND it would help unify the top and bottom of the costume. I actually would make a blousy sleeve based on the fabric and the shoulder straps of the bra. Then, for the skirt I would probably start with a black stretch velvet or panne and make more of a scarf than a belt -- use similar colors of blue and gold to make scallopy accents to tie in the top. Glancing through Dina's pages will give you tons of ideas on how to make different bras and tops work with skirts, without having to rip them apart and remake them. See especially Dina's Bellydance Costume Galleries.

Regards,

Anala

...Getting the bra to coordinate...If you were to make drapes or sleeves out of any extra fabric from the skirt, they would both hide any arm/shoulder/etc. topside issues AND it would help unify the top and bottom of the costume.

... Then, for the skirt I would probably start with a black stretch velvet or panne and make more of a scarf than a belt -- use similar colors of blue and gold to make scallopy accents to tie in the top. Dina's Bellydance Costume Galleries.

Regards,

Anala

Thanks Anala, that's the second great idea you've given me today!

Strangely enough, the blue satin is a very close match to the blue on the bra when you hold them together, but something about the blue/black combo makes the blue look darker on the bra. So I had been thinking of a black velvet belt/scarf. I was also planning to do some kind of arm covering with the material, will take another look at Dina's ideas!

Belly Love

Maybe your teacher was saying that 'cause she thought the fabric your using wouldn't lay right/ flow properly or whatever??

Anyway, if you feel good in it, it sits properly and you think it looks professional then go for it!

Btw- the colors are great!

Shanazel

Shanazel, Moderator of Costumes, Grand Poobahness of Belly Dance Fashion, Arbitrator of Good Taste, and Detective of Belly Dance Police hereby declares the MUST HAVE FABRICS for winter 2010-2011:

Cotton gingham for skirts: 100% Pima cotton only, please- no polyester mixes. Checks and bandana prints are prefered, though tribal dancers may enjoy incorporating discarded saddle blankets into their costumes.

Denim with rhinestone studs for cabaret bras and hipbands, either stonewashed blue or basic black. Tribal and folkloric style may deconstruct denim if they wish to use fashionable frayed holes for decoration.

Leather fringe, preferably made from hides of 100% Texas grass-fed beef, though domestic leather is permissible in the United Kingdom and reindeer hide may be substituted for dancers at North Pole post-12th Night celebrations.

Ayla Almee

BellyDance OZ,

Where did you get that costume?! And did it come with a belt... and perhaps some wrist and ankle cuffs... and a weird-veil-like-thingy? (very technical nomenclature.)

^_^ I might have that costume in green and gold. MIGHT. And I just wanted to know who produced this beauty! :D (Diggs For Photos)

------------------------------
I think the Blue Skirt looks stunning on you! Mine has a black chiffon circle skirt attached, but I think that color makes your hair and skin tone pop!

Clothing and Costumes are like Belly Dance moves; some just look better on you versus other dancers, you have to try them all on and perhaps modify to fit what's you! I'd go with it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greek Bonfire

I agree with taking the fashion police here and putting them in handcuffs. Lycra and silk both have their uses. Satin can be a little more revealing of skin type beneath but lycra is a little more forgiving. And I am probably a little off topic here, but I still love the chiffon skirts.