What is Moroccan?

eden eyes

Is it a truly different and unique style or is it more like Egyptian, but with a different "flavor"?

I ask because i went to a moroccan restaurant in Savannah, GA a while ago and the dancer was wearing a turkish style bedlah and danced to an Ihab Tawfik song. i did notice a moroccan 6/8 (i think?) but the music was otherwise primarily Egyptian. i would imagine (as this was some time ago and i can only recall from pics and memory) that her dance style was AmCab.

i know restaurants aren't that picky on the style you do (shoot we have an indian restaurant in this area where one of the local tribal troupes dance), but i just got me thinking about Moroccan style. i have never seen it on youtube, i've looked, but i guess it's not as popular.

thanks everyone!

lizaj

Belly Dance is not native to Morocco or Tunisia. There are folkloric dances. As far as I can acertain the style is most likely to resemble Egyptian. Having said that there's some good belly dancers come out of the country.

eden eyes

okay, thank you very much lizaj for answering my question!!

perhaps that's why i could never find "moroccan belly dance" on youtube :think:

i very much appreciate it!

Salome

Administrator
As Lizaj said, belly dance is not a native dance style to Morocco. Though lot's of Egyptian programming and the girls pick up stuff from tv and work it into their own dancing.

Moroccan's do have Schikhatt and it has a cultural role and context and you can read about here Schikhatt

It's used socially too... I just noticed that the youtube video I have on that page was removed so here is an example

Kharis

Is it a truly different and unique style or is it more like Egyptian, but with a different "flavor"?

I ask because i went to a moroccan restaurant in Savannah, GA a while ago and the dancer was wearing a turkish style bedlah and danced to an Ihab Tawfik song. i did notice a moroccan 6/8 (i think?) but the music was otherwise primarily Egyptian. i would imagine (as this was some time ago and i can only recall from pics and memory) that her dance style was AmCab.

i know restaurants aren't that picky on the style you do (shoot we have an indian restaurant in this area where one of the local tribal troupes dance), but i just got me thinking about Moroccan style. i have never seen it on youtube, i've looked, but i guess it's not as popular.

thanks everyone!

I worked for 2 weeks alongside a Gnawa band and they had their own dancers but used me mostly. It was for a promotional gig for Selfridges and I lost a stone in two weeks coz those guys played so fast I was worn out. The dancers wore what I can only describe as net curtains and looked dowdy and plump. They danced in a line and chanted. I wore a saaidi dress and did my best but it was hard when the rhythm was constant and fast paced. They spoke no English and I spoke no Arabic..and we all got along like a house of fire. Sign language prevailed.

lizaj

We are lucky enough to have an excellent belly dancer here in the North pf England who originates from Morocco. She is wonderful and so energetic to watch doing her national folkloric dances but also a lovely orientale style.
She recommended redstaurants for me to go to in Marakkesh with the warning that I may not see very good belly dance unless I came across "a foreigner"! However the dancers I did see were very pleasant watching and I would say very like modern Egyptian style dancers.One place had an older girl in folkloric dress dancing with a tray of candles and the diners loved her routine.