Costumes and Color Combinations

SmilingMarie

Re the names for colours/perception of colours:
Well, it is true that some languages only have names for 'bright' and 'dark' for instance (or only 3 or 4 colour terms)... but that doesn't meant that they only see the world in 'bright' and 'dark' - does it? This discussion is actually within the field of anthropological linguistics and it's been a while since I read up on that *cough*. But I have a book on it and will instantly read the chapter on "Color" (I recommend it for all closet linguists as well as those out of the closet - Foley, W (1997) Anthropological Linguistics - An Introduction).

gisela

Super Moderator
I did it at night without glasses on my laptop and scored 18. Today I did it again in daylight with glasses and on my boyfriends huge mac screen and scored perfect. Nice to know the glasses help with something.

Amulya

So you get a different test for each country? Got to try it again haha.

In connection to costumes, what color combinations do you like? And what do you think doesn't work at all?

I have seen some weird color combinations, but maybe that's personal, for example there are heaps of costumes that combine black and gold, but I think that doesn't go together.

jenc

Actually looking at the test the country difference is probably for their research. I just did it and lost internet connection!!

I got 19!!

Last edited:

jenc

So you get a different test for each country? Got to try it again haha.

In connection to costumes, what color combinations do you like? And what do you think doesn't work at all?

I have seen some weird color combinations, but maybe that's personal, for example there are heaps of costumes that combine black and gold, but I think that doesn't go together.

Back on track - that's a very personal viewpoint. I am not very fond of black costumes at all but I think that gold lifts it.

We are doing a 3 minute dance in a charity show and have just been told we need to spend £45 on a yellow and red costume. Red top, red skirt slit to waist over yellow underskirt, yellow hip belt and a red and a yellow veil. After great outcry, it was allowed that if you had a red costume already you could just wear that but I haven't and I think that is a really yucky combination. I can't see me wearing that skirt again.

We wre told that this would be a bargain cos a good costume would cost £70 from Egypt - but I can't see it being a good costume!!!

Last edited:

Shanazel

I love black and gold costumes. I'd hate to tell you how many variations on that theme I've had in my life. :D

Aniseteph

Eww, quite - yellow and red does not sound promising, and expecting anyone to be happy to stump up £45 for the privilege... :confused: I would be finding an all red costume ASAP.

The worst I've been made to wear was white, and that was my own stupid fault, he he he.

jenc

Found red skirt and top (lengha set) that I bought off Ebay. Just a few stitches then I canwear it insted of £45 horror!

Incidentally how goog a costume can you get for £70 from Egypt. (if your Egyptian teacher takes your measurements) cos I'm guessing these will be very simple(cheap).

Mya

Red and orange with the tiniest bit of yellow and you could have looked like fire!

I would love a costume on this theme, but i can't conceptualise it yet.

kayshier

Red and orange with the tiniest bit of yellow and you could have looked like fire!

I would love a costume on this theme, but i can't conceptualise it yet.

probably you can get appliques or have them made that would look like fire?

an ombre fabric? you can try vanity fair in valpark, or jimmy aboud, i find they have the best variety of fabric.

jeez i can't wait to get things organized in my life! then i'd have so much time to do these things!!!

Shanazel

A skirt made of layers of jagged strips of chiffon over a solid base skirt. When you turn, the narrow layers fly out like flames.