How do they do floorwork...

maria_harlequin

...without kneepads?

I love floorwork and I love to incorporate a bit of it into my routine when there's a suitable stage for it...but I've noticed that most dancers seem to do it without knee pads...how??? :confused: Is it just a matter of having super strong knees and thick skin?

Shanazel

For me, it was the ability to bear the pain with a smile on my face. Seriously. I never once did floor work without it hurting my knees and now that I am in my dodderage, I am paying for it.

Chani

It pains me too and I won't do it aside from when I have a costume that will hide knee pads. I have gel pads designed for indoor soccer which do the job nicely and aren't too bulky.

da Sage

...without kneepads?

I love floorwork and I love to incorporate a bit of it into my routine when there's a suitable stage for it...but I've noticed that most dancers seem to do it without knee pads...how??? :confused: Is it just a matter of having super strong knees and thick skin?

Some people have good knees. I used to be one of them - it was easier for me to kneel than to stand or sit cross-legged. Not anymore, though.

onela

When I started belly dancing, I was really surprised that people wear knee pads for floor work- it never occured to me that somebody would do that. When we started learning a bit of floor work for a choreography our teacher was teaching us, she told us to bring yoga mats and I didn't bring one, the other girls thought I was nuts but I just can't think of anything that would distract me more from my dancing than mucking around with knee pads or a yoga mat. The same way people are adverse to wearing shoes to belly dance, I am adverse to knee pads and yoga mats. I dunno, maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment- when I do ballet, I don't use any of those stupid ouch pouches for pointe work either.

maria_harlequin

Well I did my sword choreography that has floor work during rehearsal the other day without knee pads because I was too lazy to go get them after taking them off earlier and now I've got huge bruises on my knee! Couldn't wear my Egyptian costume last night for a gig...

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
It involves a lot of brusis and the ability to smile even though in pain. While I have lovely padding thanks to mother nature all over the rest of my body but I have very bony knees and no extra padding there at all. Even practicing I go home with lots of bruises.

da Sage

It sounds like you ladies are just not built to do floorwork w/o padding. Other people can do it with no problems - it is not painful for everyone. It's better just to do the moves that don't hurt you, I believe.:confused: