How to Make Bellydance Costumes - Website

Shushanna

I've just finished the page on Beaded Fringe and Swags! Let me know what you think. Does it need more detailed explanations or more pictures? I could probably show more examples, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary.

Shushanna Designs: Beaded Fringe and Swags

Darshiva

More pictures would be awesome, but not necessary. Thanks for posting that - no wonder fringing gave me a headache, I was going about it backwards!

Amulya

You know what I like to know, how the top bit from ready made fringe is made! I prefer to have my fringe seperate and then added on so if time comes I want to recycle the costume, I have ready made fringe.
I have tried it myself by making a braided strand of thread and make the fringe on that, but it isn't the same. The beaded fringe you get from Egypt or Turkey doesn't fray when you cut the piece into smaller pieces.

Shushanna

You know what I like to know, how the top bit from ready made fringe is made! I prefer to have my fringe seperate and then added on so if time comes I want to recycle the costume, I have ready made fringe.
I have tried it myself by making a braided strand of thread and make the fringe on that, but it isn't the same. The beaded fringe you get from Egypt or Turkey doesn't fray when you cut the piece into smaller pieces.

I'd just use pre-made rope or a shoelace. I've got some egyptian swags and fringe, and their rope unravels like any other rope. That's why lining your costume is so important.

Amulya

The Turkish one from Bella doesn't seem to unravel that quickly, I thought the Egyptian one was made the same way, it looked the same to me, but I have never used it.
Lining is very important, I can't imagine an un-lined costume! Plus it would be uncomfortable with all the knots at the inside.

PracticalDancer

Suggestions?

Shushanna, I found myself dreaming about answers to a beading problem, dreaming that I just needed to wake up and go to your website! :lol:

In all seriousness, I did have that dream. My problem is that I edged part of a costume with prestrung sequin trim. Gorgeous little copper square sequins that overlap just before the center hole. But, in order to sew them down effectively, my stitch went over the sequin (stitches show). So, now I need to "cover" the stitches with beading, probably a black iris. What "style" of beading overlay do you recommend? (open question to forum) The one I have so far is 4 seed beads between the holes, but it looks uneven. I was thinking a pattern like this might work, but I may have to modify it to cover the stitches. I am worried that part of the "uneven" factor may have to do with running a stitch into and back out of the same hole -- the curve of the belt and bra edges make the center holes off, and my stitching is not quite perfect. ;)

Thanks,

Anala

Daimona

I just thought I should get in a cent on sewing on prestrung sequins:
Use "invisible" nylon thread. It won't show unless your audience are too close..

Amulya

But if that kind of thread gets old it breaks. I find that Gutermann thread is really good quality lately.

Shushanna

Shushanna, I found myself dreaming about answers to a beading problem, dreaming that I just needed to wake up and go to your website! :lol:

In all seriousness, I did have that dream. My problem is that I edged part of a costume with prestrung sequin trim. Gorgeous little copper square sequins that overlap just before the center hole. But, in order to sew them down effectively, my stitch went over the sequin (stitches show). So, now I need to "cover" the stitches with beading, probably a black iris. What "style" of beading overlay do you recommend? (open question to forum) The one I have so far is 4 seed beads between the holes, but it looks uneven. I was thinking a pattern like this might work, but I may have to modify it to cover the stitches. I am worried that part of the "uneven" factor may have to do with running a stitch into and back out of the same hole -- the curve of the belt and bra edges make the center holes off, and my stitching is not quite perfect. ;)

Thanks,

Anala

Hi Anala,

That's so cool that you had that dream! :) Firstly, never let perfect get in the way of good. From the distance at which your costume will viewed, uneven stitches may not be that noticeable. Secondly, can you post a picture of your project?

In general I'm a big fan of the seed bead method you linked to. But maybe a shiny bugle bead might look nice too. There aren't any wrong answers.

I typically use thread either the color of my sequins, or close enough - like white for silver or gold sequins.

SpadeDancer

don't forget, they make clear thread for a reason, and it's not at all uncommon that thread shows on sequins. Thread is almost always visible on sequined clothing. Truth of the matter is, no one from the seating area is going to see the thread, unless you use an overly obvious color, like black thread on clear/white sequins. Go clear thread, or use the same color, no need to bead over it.

khanjar

I've been adding a wing to my website devoted to how to make bellydance costumes. It's a work in progress.

Shushanna Designs: How to Make Costumes

I'd love to hear your feedback, and any requests for additions you may have. New pages I have in the works include: Bra Cup Bases, How to Cover Bras, Ghawazee Coats, and Fringe.

thanks,
~Shushanna

Impressive, and well done, I like it, practical instruction and how to design costumery, a concept that has always eluded me, although I can design and and make in metal, textile fabric has always vexed me.

Shushanna

For anyone who likes my Free Online Costuming Tutorials, and lives within an easy distance of Newark, Delware - I'll be teaching a Costuming Workshop on February 19th.

I'll give a lecture and Q&A session on how to make and embellish bellydance costumes. Bring costuming projects you're working on if you have questions about them. Topics to be discussed include Covering a Bra, Trumpet Skirts, Circle Skirts, and Beading methods (and more as time allows). I'll bring examples of my own work so you can see them in person.

Corylus

Wow Shushanna, what a great website! I'm a total novice at sewing but have so many costume ideas - I'm hoping to start making costume for myself and your website has really motivated me (and provided a lot of great instructions!) to get started :dance:

Thanks for your time and effort in sharing your wealth of knowledge - it is so kind of you and incredibly helpful.

Best wishes,

Corylus x