I want to do the right thing...

Suhad

She may be having these problems as a result of hormonal and vitamin deficiencies from the surgery. She may also have had an underlying hormonal problem that was misdiagnosed, and basically had the surgery to correct a problem that is now much much worse. I have a close friend who underwent gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago, and is chronically malnourished now...as it turns out, she went to my doctor who requested copies of all her lab tests even from before the surgery...she was hypothyroid all along, although mildly so, and if they had corrected her thyroid problem she probably wouldn't have needed the surgery. So now she gets to deal with a life long aftermath of a surgical solution to an endocrine problem, with all the extra medications and issues that brings.

Regardless, your co worker is definitely not safe to be around patients. What are the chances of her giving a medication, forgetting to document it, and then giving the same medication thinking she didn't give it? Or someone else, trying to cover for her, giving it because she didn't document? I would think that even if you ended up having to go to the nursing board it would be a proactive thing. In my state at least, they don't go immediately trying to take away someone's license. They might suspend it for a while, but they always try to get the person back into the field and productive if at all possible. It's really up to the individual.

KuteNurse

She may be having these problems as a result of hormonal and vitamin deficiencies from the surgery. She may also have had an underlying hormonal problem that was misdiagnosed, and basically had the surgery to correct a problem that is now much much worse. I have a close friend who underwent gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago, and is chronically malnourished now...as it turns out, she went to my doctor who requested copies of all her lab tests even from before the surgery...she was hypothyroid all along, although mildly so, and if they had corrected her thyroid problem she probably wouldn't have needed the surgery. So now she gets to deal with a life long aftermath of a surgical solution to an endocrine problem, with all the extra medications and issues that brings.

Regardless, your co worker is definitely not safe to be around patients. What are the chances of her giving a medication, forgetting to document it, and then giving the same medication thinking she didn't give it? Or someone else, trying to cover for her, giving it because she didn't document? I would think that even if you ended up having to go to the nursing board it would be a proactive thing. In my state at least, they don't go immediately trying to take away someone's license. They might suspend it for a while, but they always try to get the person back into the field and productive if at all possible. It's really up to the individual.

I have wondered if she had some underlying endocrine problems. I also have a feeling my coworker will be malnourished for a long time if not her entire lifetime. She really doesn't take care of what she eats, at least from what I can tell at lunch. She eats high fat foods with little protein, carbonated beverages and not many fruits and veggies. I go back to work on Tuesday, so I will find out more of what happened to her while I was away for almost a week. Thankyou for all the great info Suhad. If things are not taken care of when I return, I will be certain to start taking more action. Wish me luck in the process:)

adiemus

All the very best - your heart is in the right place and your actions are to care not to be cruel, so it's sure to be OK.

Hey how many medical type people do we have on here?!!!!

Lydia

O My what a position you are in !! but i agree with most post above,please dont feel bad you are a nurse you must think about your patients first ! she need treatment for sure, my goodness just imagion what can happen if the person in question makes a booboo...how difficult this is ,but its your duty to protect the patients....she will understand later on that it is in her best interest, best of luck and i hope you have a good day still.....Lydia

KuteNurse

Shanazel,

Thankyou for bringing this thread back up! I was looking for it last night, but I was too sick to reply. Things have gotten much better. She is back to normal. Evidentally, she was taking Atavan which is an anxiety medication. The doctor thought she was not metabolizing it with having had the gastric by-pass surgery. She is night and day and back to her own self now. Alert and oriented. Thank goodness she is taking better care. My supervisor keeps a regular eye on her to make sure that she is following up with her doctor etc. She was joking a couple of days ago. She went downstairs to get a tea and she came back upstairs to us telling us she thought she met her boyfriend. Then she said he was sound asleep....lol