Just wanted to share...

library belly

Now that I am a member, you just can't shut me up! :D

I performed at a variety benefit night this Saturday just gone.

Organisation was a bit last minute, and they were running out of time. I cut my 10 minutes performance down to 5 minutes.

The main stage area was occupied by music gear, microphones, etc, so I only had the small area stuck out the front and then the dance floor. I didn't mind this as my preference is to get down amongst 'the people' anyway. :)

I was told there would be no chance for a run-through before hand as the venue was booked by other events, so I just trusted to my good luck and experience at handling whatever comes along.

What did come along you ask?? Well I'll tell you! :D

I ended up being spot-lit with a blinding light for my entire performance (to a beladi by Hossam Ramzy). I was very lucky not to fall off the front of the stage when I first walked out, and then had lots of fun navigating through the crowd around the dance floor.

The plus side? - My husband said it was one of the best performances I've done! :lol:

Guess I should dance blind-folded from now on! :lol:

Last edited:

Za Linda

I ended up being spot-lit with a blinding light for my entire performance

Well done to you for an excellent performance, including not falling off the stage!!

I sometimes wonder if I should start making and selling sequined sunshades or sunglasses for belly dancers...:cool:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
So glad you didn't fall off the stage, and very well done managing to dance through and around all that mayhem:clap::clap:
~Mosaic

Chani

Sounds like a great gig. I"m not keen on spotlights in my face either.

We had one stage so small and such humungous lights that were so hot when one of our troupe had to stand still for 30 seconds right below it her hair burned!!! The smell was awful but otherwise you'd never have known as she didn't miss a beat.

library belly

Sounds like a great gig. I"m not keen on spotlights in my face either.

We had one stage so small and such humungous lights that were so hot when one of our troupe had to stand still for 30 seconds right below it her hair burned!!! The smell was awful but otherwise you'd never have known as she didn't miss a beat.

So glad you didn't fall off the stage, and very well done managing to dance through and around all that mayhem
~Mosaic

:redface: gosh thanks! :D

It always just seems to me what bellydance (in particular) is all about - maybe that is just the gigs I end up with! :D

I mean - unplanned stuff happens and you just dance on through it - and make sure the audience has no chance to suspect you didn't plan everything that happens.

Thank goodness I DIDN'T fall off the stage - that would be harder to pass off as 'planned'. :lol:

Chani

My friend slipped on a slippery surface dancing at a really big gig - The Sydney Royal Easter Show! It happened just at the right moment when there was a really big beat. She landed in kind of a neat pose and did a little floor work and gracefully rose and picked up her chorie again. My daughter was filming it and you can hear somebody in the audience ask her friend "was that on purpose or did she slip?" and her friend replied "I think it was part of the dance, not sure" so she had some of them fooled at least.

I live in fear of falling down. I don't care a hoot if my sword falls off, I've had my top come undone, I've made mistakes both slight and obvious but I am okay with all of that - but I really don't want to slip right over - or worse right off a stage. I think its because when I see that happen to others for some reason I find it really funny and I can't hold my laughter in. Maybe one day karma will get me for laughing at others.

LB, I love your "show must go on" attitude.

Maria_Aya

The situation you described is the 90% of what we usual dance to.
Well done and show's you can make it :dance:

Greek Bonfire

I've done that too and hoped I didn't go blind enough so I could at least find my way offstage. Aren't you glad now that your performance was cut down to five minutes?

library belly

I've done that too and hoped I didn't go blind enough so I could at least find my way offstage. Aren't you glad now that your performance was cut down to five minutes?

lol Greek!!

I never thought of that! :D

You are so right! I never thought of having to dance without sight for 10 minutes!! Thank goodness for small blessings! :lol: