question about belly roll...

Hi,, i dont have much experience doing belly rolls but i believe i have done them ( sometimes works sometimes not, i need music usually) but i was wondering,, is a belly roll like an undulation in that your torso moves?? Or does ONLY the stomach move and your torso remains totally still with complete muscle isolation in the abdomen...?

Moon

I use only the muscles in my belly (so, I pull in my midriff and abdomen seperately, if that makes sense). I don't "help" with the rest of my torso like when I'm doing a camel. My back isn't moving (so I can do belly rolls right now when I'm sitting lazily behind the pc, lol).
However I can't speak for everyone else, ofcourse.

Maria_Aya

Its the lower belly mostly, ofcourse as we have a human body total isolation is imposible (as madam Farida Fahmy says), but we concentrate to specific area (s).

maria aya :)

Salome

Administrator
but i was wondering,, is a belly roll like an undulation in that your torso moves?? Or does ONLY the stomach move and your torso remains totally still with complete muscle isolation in the abdomen...?

A belly roll is an undulation - one of the ways to express the undulation family. And yes, you want to isolate the movement to your abs and diaphragm for a belly roll.

belly_dancer

the way I teach a belly roll... to paraphrase Caroleena Nerriccio founder of FstChanceBellyDance (though I am not a tribal dancer)
is that the belly roll a MUSCULAR movement, where as the body roll/undulation/camel is a skeletal movement... so do a camel/undualtion/whatever you call it/ THEN do the SAME movement withOUT moving your "bones" NO spine/ONLY muscles.... THEN you have a belly roll... involoving the diaphragm/abs.... MUCH easier to SHOW than WRITE!!!!!

SaraKat

Adding to what belly_dancer and others said above, the belly roll is isolated to the stomach muscles only, so you should be able to do it sitting down or even lying on the floor, with little or no movement in the chest and pelvis.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Any tips on getting the belly roll to look more fluid?

I have sort of a rudimentary belly roll, and can isolate the upper from the lower abs, but my roll is slow and doesn't "flow" -- ya know?

Don't tell me -- just practice, right? LOL

charity

i had done belly rolls by some fluke and now have not been able to do them since i have been trying.

i dont know if this is good because as of yet i have not seen results like i had hoped but i simply do a body undulation that emphasizes muscular control of the upper and lower abs so that i am building up my muscles so that hopefully i can eliminate the chest lift and pelvic tuck...eventually.

is this how you are supposed to practice the beginnings of a belly roll?

Moon

Aziyade said:
Don't tell me -- just practice, right? LOL

Well, yeah :redface:. But it's the easiest thing to practice as you can do it everywhere (people might look strange if you wear thighter clothes though). I even do them during boring lectures sometimes.

belly_dancer

i had done belly rolls by some fluke and now have not been able to do them since i have been trying.

i dont know if this is good because as of yet i have not seen results like i had hoped but i simply do a body undulation that emphasizes muscular control of the upper and lower abs so that i am building up my muscles so that hopefully i can eliminate the chest lift and pelvic tuck...eventually.

is this how you are supposed to practice the beginnings of a belly roll?

that (w/ the movement of the chest & pelvis) is "skeletal" movement.... eventually you want to take out the bones & JUST use the muscles... NO skeleton moving whatsoever!!!
I THINK I got good 'case I am LAZY!!!!
try this movement (the bellyroll!:shok:!) in BED (10 min a nite or morning)
it is quite easy laying down 'cause all the abdominal muscles are no longer used in "holding you up"... so they are relaxed & ready to ROOOOLLLLLL