all quiet on the western front

Caroline_afifi

has it gone quiet here in the last week or is it my imagination?

Is everyone having a vacation from fiery posts?

It seemed like there was a few really in depth discussions going on at once and now the activity has gone quiet.... is everyone worn out or what?

PS I have been busy myself the last few days...

I am sure there are many others crawling out from behind the sofas to enjoy the peace...:cool:

khanjar

Yes, I had noticed that too, but for myself, I just cannot be bothered in speaking my mind so much, so not as to invite personal attacks, which in reality, are just plain pathetic and not what human communication should be about.

People have some strong opinions, that is fair enough, but we should communicate our differences, not try to force our opinion on others. There is too much of that in the real world, why come on line to receive the same.

Anything I perceive to be possibly fiery or ending up that way, I think twice about getting involved, I just don't need it.

The thread on 'Fashion Photography' was good though, another form of visual art, and artists helping artists, which is something we should be doing as dance artists, help other artists, not insult them for their failure in being different.

Aniseteph

Maybe it's the new term and everyone's busy.

They've been having a right old bust up on Bhuz though. I would have joined in but would have got my head kicked in on there for being a jumped-up gobby little noob. :D

I was going to start a spin-off thread here, just to get a less USA-centric angle on it, but I found a video clip to gripe about instead!

Caroline_afifi

Maybe it's the new term and everyone's busy.

They've been having a right old bust up on Bhuz though. I would have joined in but would have got my head kicked in on there for being a jumped-up gobby little noob. :D

I was going to start a spin-off thread here, just to get a less USA-centric angle on it, but I found a video clip to gripe about instead!

So what was the discussion about on Bhuz? I look in every so often but I find it hard to keep track so dont really bother.

I have noticed a few negative comments about this forum which made me laugh though.

Khanjar,
I understand where you are coming from and many do avoid the heated debates. The fashion photography thread was interesting but I hardly know how to turn a camera on so I could not join in.

When I was in Uni, debate was encouraged and sometimes got heated, it was the norm.
I also work in a youth club where people get very angry when things dont go their way so I am not this bothered about irrate people... I am used to it.

I think also there are cultural diffrences. Scousers and Northerners are very direct as you know, southerners (UK) wrap things up a little.

By the way, your teacher from Devon has a lecturing in Liverpol and I will meet her for lunch next week!

I remember the first time she came to Liverpool and she was terrified. She wanted to bring her sword to dance with but a friend in Devon warned her not to, incase it was taken off her and used against her!
It was very funny when she was pleasantly surprised at how nice and friendly this city is.

Our bark is much bigger than our bite!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hmmmm did I miss a bust up on Bhuz ... probably, I don't go there much anymore. Spend most of my time here!:lol: ... I was tempted to voice my opinion on that political/religion thread, but not being an American was sure to get my chops busted!

I have decided I should be Pres of USA ... I would make BD a national pastime ... and banish all boring pollys .... not sure where maybe they should all go and live on the Bush ranch in Texas!

But you are right Caroline it is somewhat quiet at the moment. I have these 'devil-made-me-do-it' moments when I try to think up some subject that will have everyone crawling out of the woodwork, .... but I chicken out and quietly tip-toe away.
~Mosaic

Eshta

I find that when all threads end in meltdown I really go off this site, it adds no value to me to read bitch fights, and it puts me off visiting. I read the boards primarily as an education, and bitching detracts from that. When attacking the BDSS was still a new and novel argument, I disappeared from the boards for well over a year :shok:!

When the atmosphere changes a bit, I have a number of threads I wouldn't mind asking but right now I can't be bothered :rolleyes:

Marya

Hmmmm did I miss a bust up on Bhuz ... probably, I don't go there much anymore. Spend most of my time here!:lol: ... I was tempted to voice my opinion on that political/religion thread, but not being an American was sure to get my chops busted!

I have decided I should be Pres of USA ... I would make BD a national pastime ... and banish all boring pollys .... not sure where maybe they should all go and live on the Bush ranch in Texas!

~Mosaic

I would vote for you!

Marya

Dev

When attacking the BDSS was still a new and novel argument, I disappeared from the boards for well over a year :shok:!

BDSS was one of the threads where I have had my most Belly Dance history lessons.

Regarding the heated thread, there is a formula , To make a thread heated and popular it should have a few eliments.
1. Involve an Egyptian wedding video.
2. Male dancers... from costuming to style and in between
3. Arab vs Muzungu lifestyles (American politics included)
4. Mention of danger words. race, religion , black etc.

I am thinking of how to start a thread putting all those things together.:think:

Caroline_afifi

The BDSS thread was before my time.

Generally I find that most threads end up OK and only on few occasions have I noticed any real bitching. Giving an opinion no matter how unpopular does not constitute bitching to me. I think alot of humour is lost on this board so things can read much worse than perhaps intended. I like to have a laugh here, there are some really funny witty people here who I really enjoy.

There is something for everyone. For me the most lively debates are the most thought provoking in many ways. I dont mean people who resort to insults, but the people who really say what they mean.
If we all agreed with each other and knew everything then imagine how boring this would be.

I did not come to this forum 6 months ago a complete novice by any standard, but I have learned so much and have many people here to thank for that.

Aniseteph

The BDSS must have blown itself out before my time too - just picked up a few "let's not go back there" vibes.

Dipali you forgot the "Dancer X is the best" threads, as long as the OP then totally digs in and thinks everyone with a different opinion is just jealous. Extra points for mentioning Shakira, though that's a bit over as well (we need a yawning smiley). And for the ultimate extra points, fasten-your-seatbelts/pass the popcorn thread Dancer X has to be doing some fusion style labelled as bellydance, so we can do But Is It Bellydance? :lol:

I didn't get all the nuances of the Bhuzfest, but a teacher complained about a student performing without enough training, and made it clear enough who it was so that student came on to defend herself, and got kicked all over again. :( I wanted to ask whether there aren't worse things that you could do in life than perform third-rate bellydance (not that she necessarily was that bad even) in a nursing home after only a few years lessons... didn't fancy being next for the kicking though :lol:.

Caroline_afifi

BDSS was one of the threads where I have had my most Belly Dance history lessons.

Regarding the heated thread, there is a formula , To make a thread heated and popular it should have a few eliments.

I am thinking of how to start a thread putting all those things together.:think:

:lol::lol::lol: SO TRUE!!!

karena

There's been lots of times recently where I nearly reply, and then think I can't be bothered. I don't like to 'post and run' and where I see it's really not getting anywhere I just give up.

We could all do an experiment where we create a post what we consider to be the most controversial components, maybe a max of 3 and then see who can get it to kick off the most. Extra points if it goes round in a circle more than once. ;):lol:;)

I am of course joking, I learn all sorts but I think someone could so a PhD on the politics, power struggles, argument construction, various discourses etc on this forum. But I'm sure that applies to most forums. I know someone who left a guinea pig forum after it kicked off! :shok:

Well I shall be bold and post this, rather than my usual trick on scrapping it after I wrote it all.

lizaj

The BDSS must have blown itself out before my time too - just picked up a few "let's not go back there" vibes.

Dipali you forgot the "Dancer X is the best" threads, as long as the OP then totally digs in and thinks everyone with a different opinion is just jealous. Extra points for mentioning Shakira, though that's a bit over as well (we need a yawning smiley). And for the ultimate extra points, fasten-your-seatbelts/pass the popcorn thread Dancer X has to be doing some fusion style labelled as bellydance, so we can do But Is It Bellydance? :lol:

I didn't get all the nuances of the Bhuzfest, but a teacher complained about a student performing without enough training, and made it clear enough who it was so that student came on to defend herself, and got kicked all over again. :( I wanted to ask whether there aren't worse things that you could do in life than perform third-rate bellydance (not that she necessarily was that bad even) in a nursing home after only a few years lessons... didn't fancy being next for the kicking though :lol:.

I hung on in there as I felt she was well and truly bullied and that so-called professional teacher should have had more balls, dignity or whatever than dropping hints as subtle as housebricks to call out the woman concerned.
Either name and shame or preferably conduct private fights by PM and discuss a situation in general terms. BUT what really gets me is how folks know the real situation...how good/bad a dancer someone is without knowing them and living thousands of miles away!:confused:

Another thing that is worrying on Bhuz are the posters who give medical advice and counselling when they are not professionals.They can't all be doctors Geez . Er try blackish-red crocus leaves powdered with lizard-livers- it worked for my bunions and will sort your IBS. I feel like screaming ( Oh I think I did) Go to the Doctor!:rolleyes:

Jane

Wait! Wait! You forgot this thread:

It doesen't matter what they do in the Middle East I can wear Victorian fantasy burlesque clothing and shimmy with a South African head-dress spinning on a string to heavy metal and call it belly dance because it's all about me anyway! :rolleyes:

khanjar

So what was the discussion about on Bhuz? I look in every so often but I find it hard to keep track so dont really bother.

I have noticed a few negative comments about this forum which made me laugh though.

Khanjar,
I understand where you are coming from and many do avoid the heated debates. The fashion photography thread was interesting but I hardly know how to turn a camera on so I could not join in.

When I was in Uni, debate was encouraged and sometimes got heated, it was the norm.
I also work in a youth club where people get very angry when things dont go their way so I am not this bothered about irrate people... I am used to it.

Heated debates are fine and I will engage, but I will disengage when a person is insulted because of their thoughts, everyone's input is just as valid, insult on the person behind the thought is not.

I think also there are cultural diffrences. Scousers and Northerners are very direct as you know, southerners (UK) wrap things up a little.

By the way, your teacher from Devon has a lecturing in Liverpol and I will meet her for lunch next week!

I remember the first time she came to Liverpool and she was terrified. She wanted to bring her sword to dance with but a friend in Devon warned her not to, incase it was taken off her and used against her!
It was very funny when she was pleasantly surprised at how nice and friendly this city is.

Our bark is much bigger than our bite!

Hmmm, yes, perhaps I have been away too long and I have softened, for I for my first twenty years of life could see Paddy's wigwam and St John's beacon from very near my house. In fact I do remember being in St John's beacon when it used to be a resturaunt and it revolved. My college was Riversdale in Aigburth, back when it was a Merchant Navy college. I learned to sail whilst breaking the ice at Crosby marina and remember the Albert Dock when it was derelict and full of mud. Oh, and Pylons, we used to have one in the garden two doors up, the cables crossing our back garden.

I always liked Liverpool, but because of the employment situation in the eighties, I left it. And yes, though a friendly city from what I remember, it is a place where scousers just fought for the hell of it, for fun and would fight a person with no ill intention, just because they liked a fight. After, they would be your best buddy, no ill feelings, in fact they might be your best buddy before fighting............weird lot, but I always found the species, some of the best people I have ever known.

Enjoy your lunch with Siouxsie, I wish her the best in her new ventures, tell her from me, thanks for giving me a chance, when so many ignored my requests to try a class and still do. She despite her academia in the field of feminine issues, was open minded enough to teach males who wished to learn ME dance, I believe several before myself.

Oh, photography, I find that interesting because I am a photographer of sorts, where I am not a dancer, because I don't dance in public, at a class, because I can't find one, and it has been lately, that the thoughts are moving away from BD, because it seems here in the UK, my neck of the woods at least, males aren't welcome in BD. I fail to see how my emails to teachers fail to get there, when a female friend on my prompting tried, and got a reply within twenty four hours, I again emailed and again no reply.

As it seems I am not allowed to learn to dance in public, I feel increasingly disassociated with here, and only pop in now and again to lurk, if something which is not BD orientated is being discussed and it interests me, I will log in and engage.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

How rude to not reply to you Khanjar. :(

What about getting your friend to email for you? Even if you wouldn't want to go after all this, you could see if the teacher would at least give an excuse to a female.

I still reckon you could just enrol in Adult Ed ones - they are so Equality aware they probably wouldn't dare say anything.

Caroline_afifi

Heated debates are fine and I will engage, but I will disengage when a person is insulted because of their thoughts, everyone's input is just as valid, insult on the person behind the thought is not.

Hmmm, yes, perhaps I have been away too long and I have softened, for I for my first twenty years of life could see Paddy's wigwam and St John's beacon from very near my house. In fact I do remember being in St John's beacon when it used to be a resturaunt and it revolved. My college was Riversdale in Aigburth, back when it was a Merchant Navy college. I learned to sail whilst breaking the ice at Crosby marina and remember the Albert Dock when it was derelict and full of mud. Oh, and Pylons, we used to have one in the garden two doors up, the cables crossing our back garden.

I always liked Liverpool, but because of the employment situation in the eighties, I left it. And yes, though a friendly city from what I remember, it is a place where scousers just fought for the hell of it, for fun and would fight a person with no ill intention, just because they liked a fight. After, they would be your best buddy, no ill feelings, in fact they might be your best buddy before fighting............weird lot, but I always found the species, some of the best people I have ever known.

Enjoy your lunch with Siouxsie, I wish her the best in her new ventures, tell her from me, thanks for giving me a chance, when so many ignored my requests to try a class and still do. She despite her academia in the field of feminine issues, was open minded enough to teach males who wished to learn ME dance, I believe several before myself.

Oh, photography, I find that interesting because I am a photographer of sorts, where I am not a dancer, because I don't dance in public, at a class, because I can't find one, and it has been lately, that the thoughts are moving away from BD, because it seems here in the UK, my neck of the woods at least, males aren't welcome in BD. I fail to see how my emails to teachers fail to get there, when a female friend on my prompting tried, and got a reply within twenty four hours, I again emailed and again no reply.

As it seems I am not allowed to learn to dance in public, I feel increasingly disassociated with here, and only pop in now and again to lurk, if something which is not BD orientated is being discussed and it interests me, I will log in and engage.

What a shame. I find this kind of thing quite difficult in this day and age so goodness knows how you feel.

I will of course say a big Hi..does she know you as Khanjar?

khanjar

No, she does not know me as the name I use here, quite possibly she remembers my name of Andy, or at least the long haired hopeless male that attended her last class at Brickfields.

There is one class I have not tried in my area, it is at my art college, an ATS tribal class, which is not what I want to do. Fine, if I ever get to know this dance, I might look into ATS, but at the present, I do not want to be mixed up with ME and Flamenco, as it is flamenco that this ATS group does.

I could go there, they perhaps could not stop me, and I might at some point, just to test the air so to speak, are they welcoming or not. On the equal opportunities side, they use one of the studios at my college, a college at which I am enrolled as an arts student, by that they come under the auspices of adult education, and so have to comply to the law on equal opportunities. After all, women are welcomed at the Blacksmithing classes, in fact 95% of my course are women, and they can batter hot metal as good as anyone, as it is not strength, but technique. We even had one woman making swords!

But as regards the ATS class, I am not really sure I can be that bothered to stir it up, given what I have discovered so far about the ME dance attitude where I live, I mean, why bother, I won't win and if I did, it is not nice being somewhere and resented.

It is just a pity there were not more forward thinking teachers around like the very kind lady, Siouxsie Cooper.